What the heck ?

Options
I had a lady ask me today if I was pregnant or just fat?! All I could say was I am just fat !
Has anyone else been in this position ? How did it make you feel ?

Replies

• HaughtRodsGirl
    HaughtRodsGirl Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Ouch not cool

I was shocked
  • Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,644 Member
    Options
    Damn. That's rude.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    I told a girl about myfitnesspal, and she said, "I'm pregnant". I was soooo embarrassed.
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Options
    I had a lady ask me today if I was pregnant or just fat?! All I could say was I am just fat !

Our society seems to have taken the approach that it is acceptable to comment on a stranger's body if they are overweight. It is not right. (I doubt that particular stranger has ever walked up to a very thin person and asked if they had cancer or were just anorexic.)

While one should probably not try to strike back, if ever in that situation again and you DID want to make the person rethink their words: tell them you had just suffered a miscarriage.
  • jwcsanders
    jwcsanders Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    What an *kitten*!
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    jwcsanders wrote: »
    What an *kitten*!

Well, hell, I damn sure don't know. Mother *kitten*. It's the censorship, or perhaps the moderators limit of decency, rail.
  • RAinWA
    RAinWA Posts: 1,980 Member
    Options
    When people ask really rude or personal questions I just look at them all wide-eyed and ask "why on earth would you ask me that?" Watching them stammer to come up with a response is always fun.
  • Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,644 Member
    Options
    "I would have asked if they had aspergers or were just rude."

This sounds like you are putting down people with Aspergers though. Which is really uncool. About as uncool as the person who asked if she were pregnant.

Agreed.
  • MoveitlikeManda
    MoveitlikeManda Posts: 846 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    "I would have asked if they had aspergers or were just rude."

This sounds like you are putting down people with Aspergers though. Which is really uncool. About as uncool as the person who asked if she were pregnant.

yep I agree, surely something like "were you born rude or is it a skill you have developed over the years?" would be much better
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,598 Member
    Options
    Before I hit menopause, it used to happen that people, almost always men, would assume I was pregnant. I wasn't actually fat or even close to it. I simply don't have a flat stomach; it isn't actually *big*, but it's rounded. So when they said stuff to me I embarrassed them by shouting NO! I'M FAT! THANKS A LOT! I mean what kind of troglodyte just waltzes up and makes comments about a stranger's body? >:(
  • MoveitlikeManda
    MoveitlikeManda Posts: 846 Member
    Options
    I actually had a friends mum who Id not seen for a long time ask me " oh are you pregnant, Nat never said anything" ....in the middle of a very busy shop as I stood talking with another friend.

in fairness I had lost a lot of weight since the last time Id seen her and as you can guess the stubborn belly fat had stayed a bit and left me with what did look like a small bump.
    but I just said no and she went bright red and tried to say sorry in a million ways before saying "erm well I will leave to get on with your shopping" and she walked off pretty fast
  • ChrisRendon1128
    ChrisRendon1128 Posts: 103 Member
    Options

That is such a rude thing to even suggest!! If in doubt, she shouldn't have brought it up at all.

When I was bigger, nobody could really tell I was pregnant because my belly was already big. It wasn't obvious until my 3rd trimester.
  • funhouseface
    funhouseface Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I was asked at church by a young man, thin, pretty nice looking. He just came up to me while we were getting coffee for bible study, and asked outright, "Are you pregnant?" I just stopped a moment, gathered my thoughts, and said, "No, are you?" I can't let what others say bother me anymore. Perhaps it's my age, but things used to bother me more when I was younger. I think some people don't think before they speak, as I am one of them. Now I laugh at the memory. I pray for strength to think before I speak. I was diagnosed with Tourette's, so perhaps that's part of it.
  • Syneea
    Syneea Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    I definitely had the question when I was bigger and when I lost the weight and had a bit of a belly for a period....I replied as one of the other posters did one time, "no just fat"....She looked mad at ME for making HER uncomfortable!! The nerve! LOL I do have four children (somewhat back to back) though so many were just waiting for me to "pop up" pregnant again; I am sure that had something to do with the comment. People just need to keep their traps SHUT! More than anything OP is the fact that you were asked in the first place of course, but the WAY you were asked was by someone just MEAN and spiteful and intentionally trying to hurt you, sounds like...
  • HaughtRodsGirl
    HaughtRodsGirl Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    The kicker to all of this is..the lady who asked me that weighs roughly 350 pounds.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,988 Member
    Options
    When I was in college, my brother picked me up at the dorm in the middle of the night to take me to the hospital where my father was dying in post-op. The emergency room entrance was the only one open, and when we rushed in, the woman at the reception desk called out as we went by, "Have a happy baby!"

I was mostly upset that she thought we were there for a happy reason, because I was a 19-year-old about to lose her father, and I irrationally felt like everyone else should be able to see that my world was imploding. I can't remember anybody asking me if I was pregnant or assuming I was in the years since, but if they did, I'd probably think, "Well, at least nobody I love is dying."