Question about weight gain...

Options
Hi all,

I have a few questions...

If you drink like 10 cups of water one day up till that night.. will it show on the scale the next day or no? Will it show as a gain?

Also if you over eat one day.. would it show the next day or would it be a few days later to show up?

Replies

• TrinaXL
    TrinaXL Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    not sure abot the water, because you should be excreting it (sweat, urine, feces), but the food does take a few days to show up.
  • Nishka09
    Nishka09 Posts: 33
    Options
    I think everyone is different, but I weigh myself every day, and for me it certainly does show up the next morning if I overeat the day before. Not sure about the water.
  • hroush
    hroush Posts: 2,073 Member
    Options
    Just like food, it takes water time to pass through your system as well, but it goes through much faster. You'll retain a little bit of it, but my guess is that if you didn't pee it out that night, you will in the morning. If you consistently drink 10 cups a day, then you'll average out.
  • jeepwidow01
    jeepwidow01 Posts: 173
    Options
    I have found the food does always show up the next day on the scale; some of it may be sodium, some from eating too much of the wrong thing, etc. The water I'm not sure. Maybe in the beginning if your body isn't used to you drinking that much, but your body will adjust.
  • jeffrodgers1
    jeffrodgers1 Posts: 991 Member
    Options
    I think it depends on how regularly you drink the water. The kidney's are an extremely efficient mechanism. Your body will habituate to increased water flow and pass that which you don't need. If you don't need it, you'll excrete it.

Higher sodium levels, TOM, heavy exercise and a few other things may cause you to temporarily hold onto extra water. For example, my body tends to hold onto extra water for a day or so after running a half marathon. My suspicion is that it requires extra fluids to help repair and rebuild damaged muscle tissues.
  • mommyoftwins05
    mommyoftwins05 Posts: 645 Member
    Options
    Thanks... Ok I'm thinking it was me over eating on tuesday.. and maybe some of the water.. b/c that was the first time I've drank 10 cups in one day.. TOM just ended too...