Sodium!

Hi all, I need to cut back on my sodium, but it seems like everything that is quick and easy, aka prepackaged, has tons! What are your favorite, yummy low sodium foods??? Thanks in advance!

Replies

• thetrishwarp
    thetrishwarp Posts: 838 Member
    I have a low sodium goal and usually am under 2500 if anything! I'll friend you so you can see and hopefully get some ideas :)
  • prettyprpro
    prettyprpro Posts: 128 Member
    :smile: Turkey Burgers, No Salt Green Beans, Salads with low sodium dressing---I have to watch my sodium too!
  • sibach
    sibach Posts: 24
    Thanks ladies! Look forward to seeing what you guys are doing...I love my processed foods though! lol
  • Susie_Bee
    Susie_Bee Posts: 34
    Firstly, I would suggest switching from regular table salt to sea salt.

Then, I would say that you have to cut down on prepackaged food. Prepare in advance (evenings, weekends). You can cook foods ahead and freeze them for convenience.

The best way, is to stick to foods in their purest forms: raw or steamed veggies, cooked fish/poultry/meat/eggs that you prepare yourself... watch out with salad dressings and other condiments (which you should be limiting anyways).

Good luck to you!
  • Jorra
    Jorra Posts: 3,338 Member
    Firstly, I would suggest switching from regular table salt to sea salt

There is no difference between sea salt and table salt. Sodium chloride is sodium chloride. It is not healthier in any way.
  • minadeathclutch
    minadeathclutch Posts: 375 Member
    Firstly, I would suggest switching from regular table salt to sea salt

There is no difference between sea salt and table salt. Sodium chloride is sodium chloride. It is not healthier in any way.
    '

for real. salt is salt is salt is salt.
    sodium is sodium is sodium is sodium.

same ****.
  • webdiva1
    webdiva1 Posts: 326 Member
    As you've already discovered, processed foods are the devil when it comes to sodium (and lots of other preservatives and nonsense like that). Same with restaurant food.

My fave tip for lowering sodium in canned veggies: rinse the green beans (or corn or whatever) about 3x and cook them in regular tap or filtered water. A heck of a lot of sodium is in the liquid they're canned in. That being said, I truly encourage you to experience the joys of fresh food instead. :)

I like unsalted whole almonds a lot. A little higher than you might like calories-wise, but full of lots of other good stuff. They don't need salt to be tasty, in my opinion.