About eating every three to four hours. Size? Consistency?

Apologies if this has already been addressed but exactly what are the parameters for eating every few hours as far as snack size? For instance, is a baby carrot or two enough to keep the metabolism going or would it need to be a bit more?

Also, does the consistency of the food matter? Would a yogurt suffice or does it need to be something chewed?

Replies

• livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    Eat as much as you like, when you like. (fitting within your calorie goal of course)

Meal timing is pretty irrelevant, your metabolism doesn't stop (or else you'd be dead). Eat 1 meal or 20, whatever you prefer.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    You are over thinking this. :)
    Eat whenever and however much you want as long as it fits into your calories.
    Small snack, big snack -- make sure they fit into your calories at the end of the day.

->Do not worry about keeping the metabolism going.
    The body's metabolism works 24 hours a day no matter when you eat. :star:
  • rmgnow
    rmgnow Posts: 375 Member
    What works for me is the good ole 3 square meals.
    It doesn't matter if you chew your calories pr if you drink them
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    You don't need to eat every few hours. I fast for 16-18hrs a day and my metabolism is just fine.
  • InkAndApples
    InkAndApples Posts: 201 Member
    Just eat when you're hungry.
  • TnZMom
    TnZMom Posts: 222 Member
    Different people are hungry at different times of the day. It doesn't matter when you eat so long as you consume less than you burn. But from a behavior perspective, try to eat during the times of day when you naturally like to eat.

I'm hungry from 7:00 am to 3:00 pm but couldn't care less about supper, so I eat every two hours or so at the beginning of the day and then just have something small for dinner. But some people are nighttime eaters and they like to eat light during the day and save up calories for nighttime. Don't try to work against your body's instincts. Figure out when you are hungry and then eat more frequently at that time.