I HATE Pizza!!

Options
MaddMaestro
MaddMaestro Posts: 405 Member
edited July 2017 in Food and Nutrition
When I eat it, it's always from a local place so I never know many calories it is. I almost want to stop eating pizza all together because I hate the guess work involved with local pizzerias. How do you guys log local pizzas, if you eat it at all?

I have the option to have pizza for dinner tonight, but I'm seriously thinking on passing.

Replies

• amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    I simply estimate it at 300 calories per 100 grams. Weigh it and log it.
  • BWA468
    BWA468 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Find a pizza that sounds similar in the database. If theres a few options go for the higher calorie one. Or just log a pizza hut one, eat it and dont worry :)
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    I love pizza.... Even more so when I make it from scratch, including the base, and can make it fit my cals/macros with no guesstimates.

I tend to eat homemade more for that reason, I dislike the amount of guessing and unknowns from eating it out too.
  • MysticGoalie
    MysticGoalie Posts: 328 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    When mfp supports the certain restaurant possible to search by restaurant and all foods from the restaurant are displayed.

Had a pizza from a local pizzeria a while ago, didn't know how to log. Searched for the name and chose something similiar (from a different pizzeria, though same pizza type/name).. looked up on google, was made about the same..

Don't deny any foods, if wanting pizza at dinner when having the choice, allow to have & enjoy.

If not able to search instantly, possible to add a note in the phone app or online (mfp website) & log it later on.

owzmi20vkrs0.png

• MaddMaestro
    MaddMaestro Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    I guess.. I'd rather just go to a more well known place that has calories listed like Pizza Hut, or just not have it anymore :( Also, 300cals per 100g grams is a lot! Every slice of pizza would be like over 600 calories. I don't want that.
  • Emily3907
    Emily3907 Posts: 1,461 Member
    Options
    We are serious pizza lovers in my house. So, I knew when I decided to get serious about my weight and health, that was one area that I needed to work on.

My solution was to find a really good recipe to make my own. Now, I make my own crust and sauce (which is insanely easy). I used the recipe builder to calculate the calories and then added the toppings (cheese, pepperoni, red onion and green pepper...our fave). Then I saved the meal into "My meals". It took a few minutes up front to gather the info and log it, but now it is just one click to log the meal.

We eat pizza every Friday night in my house and of all the meals I make, it is by far one of the easiest. I make a big batch of dough every 3 weeks, divide into 3 pizzas, bake one and freeze the other two. So, I always have dough on hand.

If for whatever reason, I don't feel like making it, we order from Pizza Hut and get their thin crust. It is very similar in calories to my homemade pizza. But, my homemade pizza tastes about 100x better and we don't feel like crap afterwards.

We went from ordering pizza every week to ordering about 2x a year.

Here are the recipes I use:

Crust - I double this recipe and then divide it into 3 crusts (we like our crust a little bit thicker). I also use bread flour or 00 flour:
    http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/prime-time-pizza-dough-2269125

Sauce - After many attempts at sauce recipes that simmer for hours and take forever to make, I have found this tastes just as good and is insanely easy:

Stupid Easy Pizza Sauce
    -6 oz. can of Hunt's tomato paste
    -8 oz can of Hunt's Basil Garlic and Oregano tomato sauce.
    -Add a good dash of sugar (like 1/2ish teaspoon)
    -Heavy dash of red pepper flakes (more or less depending on your preference, we like a lot!).

Mix. Done.

I have found the mixture is good for two decent size (12-14 inch) pizzas. It will also keep in the fridge for a while, but I have never had it sitting around longer than a week, because we use it up.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    You could use the papajohns.com nutrition calculator to build and guess your local pizzeria product's nutritional values.
  • jayemes
    jayemes Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    Pizza in the Bronx NY is big. BIG.
    When I log it I usually find the highest commercial pizza I can - usually around 600 calories a slice.
    I don't eat pizza every day - maybe twice a month or so, so I try not to stress.
    wdrxq39d196z.jpg

• BarneyRubbleMD
    BarneyRubbleMD Posts: 1,092 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options

This is a good estimate! The slices from my local pizza place come pretty close to this, on average, for their plain pizza.

Because of looking up pizza calories, I'm far more careful now and don't go overboard with the toppings (typically meat for me) anymore. In the past, my typical pizza was a large size with double x-cheese, double pepperoni & double sausage which when weighed and logged into MFP came to about 1,000 calories a slice! After seeing that, I was content to stick with with a slice of plain pizza, eat it slowly & just enjoy it.
  • dolcezza25
    dolcezza25 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    When I make my own it's about 275 calories a slice and that's with cheese and veggies! Just do a best guess and don't stress.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options

This is a good estimate! The slices from my local pizza place come pretty close to this, on average, for their plain pizza.

Because of looking up pizza calories, I'm far more careful now and don't go overboard with the toppings (typically meat for me) anymore. In the past, my typical pizza was a large size with double x-cheese, double pepperoni & double sausage which when weighed and logged into MFP came to about 1,000 calories a slice! After seeing that, I was content to stick with with a slice of plain pizza, eat it slowly & just enjoy it.

That's actually an over-guess just to be safe. I looked through all the generic pizza entries and chain pizzas I could find and all appear to range between 2.2 and 2.9 calories per gram except for white pizza, that one is a calorie bomb. I'm glad I don't eat it.

You will hate me, but I'm one of these people who think pizza is alright calorie-wise. Each slice of my favorite pizza from a local chain comes in at about 80 grams and I feel full after eating 3 slices, which is within my typical main meal calories even with the overestimate. The only reason I don't eat pizza often is because I don't have a habit of eating it often.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    jayemes wrote: »
    Pizza in the Bronx NY is big. BIG.
    When I log it I usually find the highest commercial pizza I can - usually around 600 calories a slice.
    I don't eat pizza every day - maybe twice a month or so, so I try not to stress.
    wdrxq39d196z.jpg

The slice in that picture is closer to 800 calories, I would guess.

Still looks good--worth the extra 2 miles to run it off.
  • jayemes
    jayemes Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    Azdak wrote: »

The slice in that picture is closer to 800 calories, I would guess.

Still looks good--worth the extra 2 miles to run it off.
    At least it's got grilled chicken and broccoli on it! :smile:

• Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    I mostly make my own pizza.
    I would find something similar from a chain restaurant to log. It probably isn't very different.
    Save some calories by getting a thin crust pizza.
  • TonyB0588
    TonyB0588 Posts: 9,520 Member
    Options
    When I eat it, it's always from a local place so I never know many calories it is. I almost want to stop eating pizza all together because I hate the guess work involved with local pizzerias. How do you guys log local pizzas, if you eat it at all?

I have the option to have pizza for dinner tonight, but I'm seriously thinking on passing.

Your title says you hate it, so why do you eat it at all? It's a fairly rare treat for me so perhaps only had to log it 3 or 4 times in the 14 months I've been on MFP. I'm usually under my calorie goal most days, so a high estimate for pizza won't mess up my count too much.
  • Colt1835
    Colt1835 Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    I guess.. I'd rather just go to a more well known place that has calories listed like Pizza Hut, or just not have it anymore :( Also, 300cals per 100g grams is a lot! Every slice of pizza would be like over 600 calories. I don't want that.
    Most of the pizzas I eat aren't that high calorie. There's no way I would give up good pizza for pizza hut just because I couldn't be sure about the calories. Those nutrition PDFs that restaurants put out are not that accurate anyway. Just log the best you can and don't worry about it so much.
  • BarneyRubbleMD
    BarneyRubbleMD Posts: 1,092 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options

That's actually an over-guess just to be safe. I looked through all the generic pizza entries and chain pizzas I could find and all appear to range between 2.2 and 2.9 calories per gram except for white pizza, that one is a calorie bomb. I'm glad I don't eat it.

You will hate me, but I'm one of these people who think pizza is alright calorie-wise. Each slice of my favorite pizza from a local chain comes in at about 80 grams and I feel full after eating 3 slices, which is within my typical main meal calories even with the overestimate. The only reason I don't eat pizza often is because I don't have a habit of eating it often.

only 80 grams a slice...the pizza slices we have at my favorite pizza place weigh at least 200 grams and I use to eat 3 of those!...for a single 3,000 calorie meal when I get all the extra toppings I like!...it's no wonder I gained weight on that.

I noticed that many of the entries on MFP for pizza are just per slice and not per ounce but from some of the brand name ones where I could compare the size, weight and calories, I concluded that many of the entries for a slice of pizza on MFP are lower on calories if not listed by weight due to being smaller slices, which is why your estimate is pretty close for my local pizza places.