Binge

Options
Hi guys I was just wondering if anyone else suffers with binge eating. I always do asking 10 to 14 days of healthy eating and then blow it, and when I say blow it I mean completely go of track from morning to night. I feel absolutely awful afterwards.
Any tips or ideas on how to get out of this hobbit?

Replies

• quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    Are you eating too few calories for those 10-14 days, or completely cutting out your favorite foods? Both of these things would trigger binges for me.
  • izabella813
    izabella813 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Thanks for your reply :) I don't have any chocolate or anything, I hate a grenade bar occasionally and I only have carbs after a workout. I'm not sure if I'm being too strict or just need better willpower. :/
  • T0M_K
    T0M_K Posts: 7,526 Member
    Options
    one day doesn't blow everything. allow yourself maybe a day and get back on track. on your over eating day, pick more things like veggies/lean protein for part of it..that should help fill you up and maybe you won't go so far off track
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Thanks for your reply :) I don't have any chocolate or anything, I hate a grenade bar occasionally and I only have carbs after a workout. I'm not sure if I'm being too strict or just need better willpower. :/

There's no need to cut put all chocolate and carbs to lose weight... you just need a calorie deficit.
  • Rebecca0224
    Rebecca0224 Posts: 810 Member
    Options

Make small sustainable changes and you won't struggle daily and be forced to rely on willpower.
  • izabella813
    izabella813 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Total binger here. You're probably going to dislike what I have to say, but my solution was this...

I realized that I had a food addiction. I was addicted to SPECIFIC foods. Sweets (that's me, yours might be something else), in particular. So I threw them all out at my house. I don't eat them at parties either. Because it takes me weeks to get back on track after a binge. If I have a bite of anything dessert-y I will eat only that one thing constantly for days on end until I get sick. So now I don't touch them. I personally had to realize that food is fuel and nourishment, not a way to make myself feel better and it doesn't have to be particularly delicious. I eat to live, not live to eat.

I know some people will tell you not to cut out all of whatever, but for me the occasional treat just didn't work. It's a personal thing.

This is a problem I've had since I was a kid, btw. Not just since I've started eating healthy.

Thanks for your reply, mine is chocolate I feel like I need dome thing sweet. I've always been a big eater when I was a kid, but been remotely healthy dice I was in my late teen, this binge eating has only come on in the last couple of days:/ how do you stop yourself from having it though? X
  • SweatsOnSunday
    SweatsOnSunday Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    I do that, too. And I cannot figure out what the triggers are. I will drop down to a good weight and feel like I am making progress, and then in the course of 3-4 days, just totally blow it. I've been bouncing in the same 7-9 pound range for 5 months.
  • cbl40
    cbl40 Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    Yep. My binges are short lived and only last an evening or so, if I start. I binge on salty carbs, and occasional sweets. If I drink wine, the binges are worse. I have trouble limiting certain foods, so I stay away. Cheezits, pretzels, graham crackers, forget about Girl Scout cookies-can't have those in my house. Triggers are parties, book groups, and WINE. Good luck. I've still been able to reach goal/maintain, but they can definitely derail you if they take over.
  • Mom2Maika
    Mom2Maika Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I can relate to many of you here. Usually, once I have a bit of chocolate or sugar, I am craving it for days and end up binging like crazy. If I log it though, I am usually able to control it a little bit. I truly think that abstinence is the way for me to go to. I had lost 15 pounds to gain it all back so quickly. I've found myself an accountability buddy that I check in with everyday and call when I am having cravings. We help each other out like in meetings.
  • Jubee13
    Jubee13 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I know everyone is different, but for me, I don't tell myself I can never have sweets again because it causes a binge. I know realistically, I'm not going to live the rest of my life and never enjoy a piece of chocolate or an ice cream cone. I don't want to live my life like that. So I'm working on being able to eat a serving and not letting it lead to a binge. I don't have it mastered yet, but I do believe it can be done. Right now, logging helps. If I want want something sweet, I log it and move on.
  • runningjen74
    runningjen74 Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    I'm like others I have triggers. Sweet food essentially, but that with not enough fat and protein is just a recipe for those energy swings. I played around with my macros, I know now which numbers help to keep me on the straight and narrow.

Stress makes it far easier for me to slip. Eating at too big a deficit reduces my will power.

I've tried keeping a journal to help me understand why I'm eating to excess, it can help me figure out what caused the binge. Way less frequent now!