Loose skin

Options
SammieCosme
SammieCosme Posts: 48 Member
Anyone go from 5'2" and 250 to 150 without loose skin i have lost 44 pounds so far but still not enough to tell? Im getting closer and closer and I'm terrified of getting loose skin. I have also had two kids so I know my tummy is not going to be perfect.

Replies

• Coco_Camm
    Coco_Camm Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I'm taller but same starting weight and goal and Im also terrified of having tons of loose skin and not getting the sexy bod i want that I'm working so hard to create. I know there's always surgery but I doubt I could afford an elective surgery.

I plan on focusing on weight training and doing lots of exfoliating and moisturizing..and praying :)
  • RedsGirl73
    RedsGirl73 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I am just a bit taller but I started at 265. I now am at 193. Yes there is some loose skin so far but I'm sure it will get better. I have two children as well. I think it depends on a multitude of factors.. genetics, age, diet, workouts, ect. Good luck!
  • candoit05
    candoit05 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I was wondering about that too? I'm 5'1 started at 263 wanting to get to 135-140. I'm hoping weight training will help?
  • VeronicaA76
    VeronicaA76 Posts: 1,116 Member
    Options
    I am 5'7" and went from well over 350lbs to 185lb without loose skin. Here's how I did it: 1. Time - slow but steady weight loss. 2. Weight lifting, for some reason (I haven't bothered to find out why), it tightens skin. And I mean seriously tightens skin (I'm 40 and my breasts are perkier than when I was 30...).
  • MaddiB99
    MaddiB99 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Generally you get loose skin from have fat underneath it. When you pinch your skin it should be about 5mm thick. If you lose the fat under the skin it should shrink.
  • shnoots
    shnoots Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    My reply is less about loose skin and more about surgery as a realistic option. I had a breast lift last year and it really opened my eyes to the possibilities for other perspective patients. Financing is generally an option. A lot of surgeons accept CareCredit, which can be easier to qualify for than another major credit card. They're pretty agressive if you miss a payment, but they're an option for those who feel they will never be able to pay out of pocket.

Another potential option is if you can get a doctor to agree that the loose skin is a quality of life issue, insurance may cover it. It's usually a panniculectomy rather than an abdominoplasty, but I believe the results are similar. RealSelf is a great resource for anyone interested.
  • jswigart
    jswigart Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    I lost 100 lbs. Yes there will be loose skin. Some of it will shrink a little bit. Mostly it only shows when naked. I can usually tuck it in my belt and go on. It's unfortunate but short of surgery there seems to be nothing that can be done about it. It's still worth the work though. :-)
  • Geocitiesuser
    Geocitiesuser Posts: 1,429 Member
    Options
    Azura_Jade wrote: »
    Guys you only get loose skin if you loose weight too fast.

That's really not true though
  • kdavid1987
    kdavid1987 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Hi all, I'm a 5'5 woman who was at 202 lbs, down to 178 lbs currently, hoping to get to 150 lbs. I am already developing (very minor) loose skin on the bottom of my tum, which is where I carry most of my excess fat and where I have lost most of 24 lbs. I already have a smidge of loose skin there and I know I will have more when I get to my goal weight. It will never be as much loose skin as someone who has lost 100 or more lbs, I know, but honestly I look forward to the loose skin. It's will be a sign of how big my tum was and how deflated it became when I lost. Which is awesome.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    wolfe1234 wrote: »
    The obsession so many people here have with not getting loose skin blows my mind...

Why are you calling it an obsession? People are just discussing whether there are any ways to minimize or help prevent the problem.
    As I said in previous posts, look into endermologie and collagen supplements, and as others have said, weight training and a good moisturizer such as Bio Oil. Then at least you'll know you've done everything you can.

She said that because it's true. Look at the number of new posts on here every week by people "terrified" "depressed" "horrified" "anxious" and/or "worried" about loose skin.
  • shnoots
    shnoots Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    To be fair depending on how much loose skin there is it can be an additional health problem. the skin can lose blood flow resulting in nerve damage and it can also develop sores or fungal infections beneath it, again depending on how much there is. There's also the issue of the skin just being an excess weight that pulls on the abdomen and causes damage or pain to the person's back.
    lorrpb wrote: »
    wolfe1234 wrote: »
    The obsession so many people here have with not getting loose skin blows my mind...

Why are you calling it an obsession? People are just discussing whether there are any ways to minimize or help prevent the problem.
    As I said in previous posts, look into endermologie and collagen supplements, and as others have said, weight training and a good moisturizer such as Bio Oil. Then at least you'll know you've done everything you can.

She said that because it's true. Look at the number of new posts on here every week by people "terrified" "depressed" "horrified" "anxious" and/or "worried" about loose skin.

Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!