Feeling a bit sluggish :(

Options
I've tried SO many times to lose this weight, and everytime I fall off track.... a big part of the problem I think is simply my lack of energy... I always feel so groggy and sluggish, and just dont feel like doing much of anything. I have gone to the doctor and had bloodwork done and he said my B12 level was really low... told me it should be around 800 and mine was more around 300. I started taking a multivitamin along with B complex sublingual drops hoping that would help, but it doesnt... even drinking coffee doesnt seem to give me a boost of energy at all! I know my food choices arent always the best and that could play a part in it as well.... does anyone have any suggestions of what else I could do, or maybe advice on what I shouldnt be doing? Thanks =)

Replies

• suzukigurl
    suzukigurl Posts: 90
    Options
    B vitamins are a big help, if your mulit vitamin doens't have enough try using a b12 supplement along with it, protein shakes/bars, and def change what you eat. If you are eating heavy meals with a lot of fat that can make you sluggish as well. I noticed that before. Also just try doing some jumping jacks or a brisk walk to get your blood flowing, that may help as well. Feel free to add me as a friend if you like,
    good luck on your journey :flowerforyou:
  • Ahluvly
    Ahluvly Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    Hi there,

How many calories a day are you eating roughly? Give me a typical day's food, drinks and exercise (if any) and I'll see if I can try and help!

Sarah :)
  • aslm
    aslm Posts: 71
    Options
    How are you with drinking water? I find I get a lot of energy from drinking about 10 - 12 glasses a day.
  • PeytonSwan
    PeytonSwan Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I felt the same a few years ago , I just started off with eating loads of fruits , and instead of smoking an coffee, I had a self-made fruit drink in the hand and chewing -gum.
    You have to start in your head to change something, everything begins in our minds. If we are forcing ourselves to something we are not 100% committed to - it won't work out.
    Go more often in the sun if you can , go just for long walks try to do something so you feel active. If you're happy and active , your food intake should automatically change. Try to have fun with losing weight, finding new delicious healthy recipes and all that :) Good luck !
  • AreneeS22
    AreneeS22 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I have my calories set at 1450 right now. I usually have coffee, bagel, and walnuts in the morning... then a lean cuisine type meal for lunch, and then supper varies and isnt always super healthy, but I watch my portions on that... snacks are usually either pita crisps or a granola bar, something like that, and I drink about 5-7 glasses of water per day. I dont drink soda or tea, just water. I dont exercise as much as I should, but I try and exercise 3 times a week (though I know it should be more) either cycling or with work out videos but I've been out of shape for so long I cant last more than 15 minutes =/
  • Tree72
    Tree72 Posts: 942 Member
    Options
    Lack of energy was one of the reasons I started working to be healthier and lose weight. I find that exercise helps a lot. Start with something small, just a short walk or dancing around your house for 10 minutes. Work your way up to at least half an hour a day. The first two weeks were very hard for me, but then I started feeling so much better.

Also, you may want to take a look over your food diary and see what types of foods you are eating. If you are high on the sugars or refined carbohydrates, that can definitely lead to feelings of tiredness. Also, for the B12, be sure to get plenty of meat or fish. (One of my close friends had alarmingly low levels of B12 (only 85) and her doctor recommended plenty of lean meats in addition to her vitamins.)

Maybe you could track how you are feeling to see what helps also. Try to notice if you feel more or less energetic an hour or so after each meal to see if what you are eating is having any effects.

Hope you are feeling better soon.
  • niclan724
    niclan724 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Do you exercise at all? I know you say you have no energy at, but when you start exercising you gain loads of energy. Whenever I fall off the wagon I feel the same way. No energy, can't imagine walking down the block let alone doing any real exercise. But it never fails. After a few days of doing some type of exercise I'm bursting with energy. I always try to do at least 20 mins. Always tell myself "just get started, 20 mins is nothing". Once I start, I can't sop.

Hope this helps.

One more thing to remember: You'll never regret exercising....but you'll ALWAYS regret when you don't!
  • jmikels67
    jmikels67 Posts: 116
    Options
    Those B vitamins are important! We have discovered a little energy drink called 5 hour energy. It's main component is a load of B vitamins. Wouldn't recommend that on a daily basis, but good for if you need a kick start to be able to work out, etc. Also - did your doc test your thyroid levels? Low thyroid (hypothyroid) will definitely make you feel sluggish and unmotivated. If they didn't check it, it would be worth asking about. Good luck to you!
  • jeremy147
    jeremy147 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I think you should try to mix in a mid-morning and mid-afternoon snack, this might keep you going a little more.
  • Gracine
    Gracine Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    You may be eating too many carbs and not enough protein. Instead, try a protein and a complex carb. For instance, string cheese/turkey with an orange or an apple with a tablespoon of peanut butter. Typically, if eat pita crisps or a granola bar alone for a snack I crash shortly after.
  • Ahluvly
    Ahluvly Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    Hi flower,

Right, 1450 cals a day. It's a decent amount but it may not be enough.

In my own personal experience, I've found that I too have suffered from feeling extremely wiped out and it's tough having to do your everyday things when you feel like that. I notice it more when I'm due on, say a week to ten days in advance. I've also noticed that foods high in sugars and carbs have the same affect.

You need to get some balance into your diet and you need to make sure you are eating enough of the correct food groups. Aim for lean protein (prawns, chicken, fish, beef - visible fat removed), complex carbs (brown rice, pasta, sweet potato etc), a rainbow of fruit and veg and a proportion of good fat. At my gym, my trainer who's done nutritional courses has told me that 60% of my diet should come from carbs. We need the energy.

After reading over your bumph, my advice to you would to aim for 10 x glasses of fluids a day (a glass = 250ml). This can be water, any teas or coffees, diet drinks, juices etc however do go easy on the latter as it's high in natural sugars.

Aim for 3 meals a day and two snacks - make sure you get your 5 portions of fruit/veg in a day, minimum.

As for exercise, you know the saying, "Don't run before you can walk" therefore start small, sessions wise and build it up. This can be anything from walking more and taking the stairs instead of elevators to doing an exercise class.

In my experience, since I started paying attention to what I was eating and doing activity wise, swimming is the best for burning calories off me however you need to make sure you have enough energy to do it in the first place.

I hope this advice helps but I honestly do think it's going to be a bit of a bumpy ride in the first few weeks.

Sarah x
  • AreneeS22
    AreneeS22 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for you're advice! =)