What happens when I'm hungry?

Options
There are some days I am just not hungry. When I record my food, and don't reach 1,200 calories, it won't record it. Why?
It is like forcing me to eat/record more calories. I want it saved no matter how many calories I do or do not eat. It is really frustrating. Any help?

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Whatever you add to the food diary is recorded, it just doesn't post on your feed if you eat too little.
  • amtyrell
    amtyrell Posts: 1,449 Member
    Options
    MFP doesn't allow you to close a day with unhealthy low amount of calories. But nobody says you have to close the day.
  • sympha01
    sympha01 Posts: 942 Member
    Options
    It's still "recording" it, but it won't post a "YAY, YOU" announcement on your feed if you have eaten an unsustainably low number of calories for the day. You could just choose to live with it.

If your goal is to lose weight, you'll be better served in the long term by learning to eat a reasonable amount of food every day to nourish yourself. That means eating ENOUGH as well as limiting your calories so as not to overeat. Food isn't just for pleasure or to reduce hunger, it is to fuel and nourish you. A lot of us who have a history of weight problems also don't "register" physical hunger properly for medical reasons, and hunger is not always a reliable indicator of whether we need some food. 1200 calories a day is a very reasonable baseline to make sure you are taking in sufficient nutrients while burning off body fat, unless maybe you are very short and petite.

And FWIW, most of the people I see on here who have weight to lose and claim that according to their MFP diaries they "can't" eat at least 1200 calories every day because they don't think they're "hungry" are not actually measuring their portions and accurately logging.

While a lot of people on here will scold new dieters for not weighing their food, I would rather advise new dieters to be making an honest effort to accurately measure their portions. Using actual measuring cups, spoons, or weighing are all much, much better than logging guesstimated portions based on your eyeballs saying "that's probably 1/4 cup of oats, that's probably 1 tbsp of peanut butter, that's probably 1/2 cup of grapes, that's probably a standard 3 oz portion of meat." (I agree with people who say scales are more accurate than volume measurements, but just want to point out that people who are underlogging tend to be not measuring AT ALL, not measuring inaccurately. And I want to undercut the inevitable complaint that weighing sounds too much of a PITA, too hardcore, too emotionally unhealthy for me, but I don't have a scale, etc etc etc. Just freakin' measure to verify your portion size!)