Help!

Options
I have stopped drinking anything that has caffeine besides my morning cup of coffee. It's day 4 and I have these killer headaches!!! Any tips to help get through this hump???

Replies

• buggleuh749
    buggleuh749 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Green tea! Or other teas. They have small doses of caffeine that help. I recently just stopped drinking coffee and I get all the things I like about drinking coffee (energy, feeling full, cutting cravings) without the downsides (sweating, breakouts, coffee breath).
  • runningjen74
    runningjen74 Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    You've gone 4 days, I'd suggest trying to hold out. Shouldn't be too much longer.

Or as suggested, something with small amounts of caffeine that ideally you won't just swap in to coffees place. I had a couple of diet cokes, yes I know caffeine in them, but it's not something I'd crave I only had 1-2 as cutting back. While this helped me, might just set you back 4 days!

I make fresh decaf coffee, nice and strong, no caffeine but I really enjoy it. It fits the coffee ritual at home at the weekends.

But I still do drink some coffee, so I mightn't be best person to listen to. But I have cut way way back and can easily go days without a cup and no headaches, so I guess I've reached a nice level for me.

If you're in the USA, some pain killers have caffeine in them if you were stuck. But I'm not, so don't really know levels.
  • caitlin_lynch
    caitlin_lynch Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Thanks!! I quit cold turkey so I'm guessing that's why it's been a little hard.
  • princesskrystalinaa
    princesskrystalinaa Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I completely cut out all soda after drinking 6-10 cans of coke a day and it made me so ill. Throbbing headaches, nausea, shaking, lethargy, etc. it lasted about 5 days and it seems like the thing that helped most was hot herbal tea!
  • buggleuh749
    buggleuh749 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Decaf coffee does actually have some caffeine in it @runningjen74
  • runningjen74
    runningjen74 Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    Decaf coffee does actually have some caffeine in it @runningjen74

2-5 gm according to mayo clinic, so less than my bit of dark chocolate. But yes you're right, it does contain caffeine.
  • jessicagreen1828
    jessicagreen1828 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Little/No caffeine substitutes (like Cafix or decaf instant coffee) helped me get through the withdrawal and struggle to drop caffeine. I still like to imagine I'm having coffee but my body just doesn't need the jitters.