recently made the switch to a vegetarian diet

Options
Hi everyone!
So I recently decided to cut out meat from my diet. After a lot of research and documentary watching, I made the switch.
I'm looking for some nutritional advice. What vitamins am I missing now that I'm not eating meat. Can I get all the necessary vitamins from plants? Also what percentages of macros do you recommend? I'm thinking about 55 carbs/ 25 fats/20 protein.... I'm excited about this new journey!

Replies

• MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    Options
    What did the documentaries you watched say about additional nutrition for the lifestyle?
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 10,009 Member
    Options
    B12, although if you're still consuming dairy and eggs it might not be a problem. If you don't get much dairy and eggs, look for B12-fortified nutritional yeast, breakfast cereal, or other products. Or take it in pill form.
  • Rebecca0224
    Rebecca0224 Posts: 810 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone!
    So I recently decided to cut out meat from my diet. After a lot of research and documentary watching, I made the switch.
    I'm looking for some nutritional advice. What vitamins am I missing now that I'm not eating meat. Can I get all the necessary vitamins from plants? Also what percentages of macros do you recommend? I'm thinking about 55 carbs/ 25 fats/20 protein.... I'm excited about this new journey!

If you are concerned get bloodwork done to determine what you are lacking. No one online can tell you what you are missing.
  • ragansworld
    ragansworld Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone!
  • MommaGem2017
    MommaGem2017 Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    The only thing I do is take a multivitamin each day. I haven't had any problems since becoming a vegetarian.
  • Judy2CA
    Judy2CA Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    If you're vegan then you may need a B-12 supplement. If you're vegetarian and eat a wide variety of foods then you're probably getting all you need.
  • SarahLascelles1
    SarahLascelles1 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Ignore anything you've read about soy being bad. It's bro science
  • ltkasmala
    ltkasmala Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I switched to a vegetarian lifestyle five years ago and haven't switched back yet! I kept approximately the same macro intake (30% protein/40% carbs/30% fat) though some days it really is hard to eat enough protein (carbs and fat no problem!) I do still eat fish, which technically makes me a pescatarian, as well as eggs and some dairy. I want the added omega-3's and it does help with proteins. I also take multi-vitamin daily. Because I am on cholesterol meds I have to get blood work done at least every six months and I do not have any nutritional problems. Hope this helps some....
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,737 Member
    Options
    I've been vegetarian (ovo lacto) for 43 years. I'd suggest paying some attention to B12, B6, D and calcium, but if you eat eggs and dairy, those should still be manageable without super-close micromanagement.

Your macronutrient needs are no different from anyone else's, and I'd caution against believing the less-scientific fringe of veganism that claims USDA/WHO protein recommendations are overstated. We veg types might even prefer to err on the high side, since more of our protein (grams-wise) comes from less complete sources (in terms of essential amino acids).

Personally, while losing weight, I strove for 0.6-0.8g protein minimum per pound of healthy goal weight (yes, I mean pound, not kg - I prefer protein on the medium-high side); 0.35-0.45g fat minimum per pound of healthy goal weight (as much as possible from healthy sources like olive oil, nuts, avocado, etc.); and let carbs fall where they may. I also target an absolute minimum of 5 veggie/fruit servings daily, and prefer to get more than 10. Others' opinions will differ.

I set my MFP macro goal percents to come close to those gram values at my calorie level before exercise, adjusting if needed when my calorie goal changed. Mostly, I did and do eat to the gram goal for protein and fats, rather than the percents, though.