Emotional/Mindless Eating Support

Options
Looking for friends and support in regards to mindless eating, eating when bored, eating when not hungry.

How do you deal with this and what are strategies that have helped?

Replies

• __TMac__
    __TMac__ Posts: 1,665 Member
    Options
    There's a book with that title (Mindless Eating) about the psychology of food and overeating. Interesting reading. My library had it as a downloadable audiobook.
  • stacey777b
    stacey777b Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I do the same thing. Sorry not much help but know your not alone.
  • an0nemus
    an0nemus Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    Talk to your doctor, if you have the symptoms of binge eating like that...they can help you.
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    Options
    I keep lower-calorie snacks on hand. I try to make sure that before I eat, I pre-log and weigh. And I don't keep the whole container near me. Having to physically get up and go into the other room to get the snack makes me more mindful, as does the logging and weighing. Also, exercise has helped my moods and cut back on the emotional end of things.
  • __TMac__
    __TMac__ Posts: 1,665 Member
    Options
    an0nemus wrote: »
    Talk to your doctor, if you have the symptoms of binge eating like that...they can help you.

I'm not reading a binge pattern here. Just regular, garden variety mindless eating.

Eat off small dishes. No eating out of boxes and bags. Weigh it and get the calorie count before eating.

Plan ahead for your full daily calorie budget. Don't leave space for random eating, but do incorporate foods you like.

Make eating too much inconvenient. Plate your food in the kitchen and eat at the table. Don't bring trigger foods into the house; pick up a single serving on the day you plan to treat yourself. Put fruit out on the table, not cookies.

The planning ahead has made the biggest difference for me. I know what I'm eating and when. No need to loiter in the kitchen at other times.

• mmintons
    mmintons Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Thank-you so much for the responses. These are super helpful. I've tried to be very observant of myself and my eating patterns and I've started to notice how much I eat when I just don't know what to do with myself, need stimulation of some sort or am stressed.
  • CoueCoue
    CoueCoue Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Two super simple tips that I use:
    1. When I feel like I want to grab some food, I drink a glass of water instead. This works well because it is quick to get hold of, it is usually in the same place as the food (i.e. the kitchen) and also, by the time you have drunk the water; a) the craving/need to mindlessly eat might have passed because you have distracted yourself and b) dehydration might have drawn you to eat in the first place.
    2. When I feel I want to grab some food, quite often it is out of boredom/I am in need of comfort, so INSTEAD, I come to the MFP community. I know that sounds like some sort of suspicious internet "plug" for MFP, but it really helps me. Five minutes flicking through inspirational stories, reading about how others struggle too, really helps to replace my need for food with something more positive which tackles my boredom AND need for some comfort. It means that sometimes I am browsing 5-10 times a day (I know, not a GREAT use of my time!), but it's better than putting food mindlessly in my mouth!

Essentially, both examples train you to use that signal from your brain telling you to mindlessly eat as a trigger to prompt you to do something else. Soon it becomes it's own habit.

Hope these tips help you too.
  • jlscherme
    jlscherme Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    H.A.L.T.
    Hungry, Angry, Lonely, Tired

This tried and true slogan helps us to stay in touch with our feelings and needs. Sometimes the onset of anxiety or a sudden drop in mood can be traced to our having forgotten to eat so our blood sugar levels are off kilter. Sometimes we may be carrying a resentment, or feeling lonely, or we are just too tired. Taking a little time out from our busy day to ask ourselves if we are feeling too Hungry, Angry, Lonely, or Tired, gets us in touch with our feelings. When we know what we are feeling we can make choices and take the appropriate action to get our needs for food, companionship, or rest, met.

Being too hungry, angry, lonely, or tired, are conditions that leave us more vulnerable to the temptations that lead us away from our program