what to fix?

Options
Edithrenee
Edithrenee Posts: 546 Member
My hubby wants meatloaf tonight, I got some hamburgar 85% lean i know that isnt alot of lean however he isnt watching his weight.I add crackers to it usualy and latley i added more to give it less burgar. I am wondering what i can make in addition to the meatloaf like mashed potaoes, and i have no cluse what else. Mashed potaotes can be fattening also. I usually put a little butter and milk now i use chicken broth to make it but it still has little taste. Im wonder if any one has ideas on what to fix with meatloaf that is low fat. If i have to do it the traditional way I supose ill be having cereal for dinner tonight. lol Suggestions on low fat ?????

Replies

• tnknights
    tnknights Posts: 23
    Options
    Cauliflower Puree instead of potato. Not the same, but close. We like it.
  • Dmacdoodles
    Options
    If you do the cauliflower puree make sure you add some seasonings to it, otherwise I would make some fresh veggies :)
  • anacsitham5
    anacsitham5 Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    I never used crackers, but have always used cubed bread. I cut back alittle on that now due to watching carbs and what not.
    We always add chopped celery, onions and green peppers. It gives it some extra texture and it's the only way my family will eat it.
  • sarahliftsUP
    sarahliftsUP Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    I was going to suggest cauliflower as well! I tried mashed cauliflower in sub for potatoes and it wasn't too bad. I even had gravy with them. You could also make a side salad or steam some vegetables to go with the meatloaf: carrots, zucchini, green peppers, broccoli.. whatever vegetables you like.
  • yeabby
    yeabby Posts: 643 Member
    Options
    Someone posted this recipe, they used ground turkey, a couple weeks ago. I tried it and the boyfriend really liked it (one of the few recipes he said I could make again). Being little means it's easy to portion control. In the recipe counter (I used 90% lean) it was about 100 cal. each.

Mini Meatloaf Muffins

1 pound lean ground meat
    1/2 of a small yellow onion, finely diced
    1 egg
    1/3 cup breadcrumbs
    2 tsp Worcestershire
    parsley, garlic and italian seasoning (use whatever you have on hand)
    mix everything together

spray muffin tin and spoon mixture in (about 3/4 full)

in a seperate bowl
    4 tbs ketchup
    2 tbs mustard
    2 tsp brown sugar
    mix together and spoon on top of meat

bake at 350 for 30 minutes....
    makes about 10 muffins
  • anacsitham5
    anacsitham5 Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    I also use ground beefalo. Its lower in fat, but if you don't have that try mixing half ground turkey to the ground beef. Won't know the difference.
  • hollymcd1027
    Options
    I have the same issues with my hubby, although he seems more open to my substituions as time goes by! He will absolutely not eat cauliflower though.

For any recipe that uses ground beef I always mix in or replace the beef with ground turkey. With stuff like spaghetti sauce or tacos I used all ground turkey. For things like hamburgers and meatloaf I go half and half.... plus I buy the leanest ground beef they have. My husband has yet to complain and he still swears I make the best burgers around! =)

For the side dishes with meatloaf... I'm a traditionalist and you can't really replace the mashed potatoes! haha You can make them healthier by using skim milk or broth and cutting back on the butter. The key is to only have one small serving of them. Which means I also make a big salad and lots of other steamed veggies to fill up on. I've also found that just making steamed potatoes and mashing them on my plate satisfies the "need" for that mashed side!
  • Edithrenee
    Edithrenee Posts: 546 Member
    Options
    Thaks you guys im gonna try some of these suggestions. It is so frustrating to buy groceries anymore every thing is sooo expensive so i think that makes it harder to eat right. I tried to grow a garden this year and Im originaly from wva very good dirt and i could grow anything. Here in SC it is sand mostly so it is hard to grow anything. I even added a layer of regular dirt we had to haul in and i still had a crapy garden. And as far as meat even the hamburgar is getting expensive. I think i want to buy a cow and some turkeys to raise and chikens lol yeah right. Sometimes i think the industry wants fat americans, because they make it difficult to buy good food it is junk food that is not to expensive. have you guys had this problem to?