Gain-mini rant!

Options
I'm about to lose my freaking mind! Ok..so I messed up a little on Sunday(but we had also been in 107 degree weather on our our feet carrying stuff for 3 hours)...but I have been pretty consistent on eating and working out since...so why the **** would I have a 3 lb gain on the scale this morning?!?!?! This has been happening to me for a year..like a yo-yo! I'm so frustrated I could cry! I lost 100 lbs 4 years ago and I messed up quite a bit and it was easy compared to this...WTH?! I'm calling my doctor.

Replies

• billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options
    I was stuck in a 5 pound range for well over 4 months. I just said forget it one day. Had a beer, a bit of ice cream, then ran my butt off the next day. I think the shock to my system switched things up enough that I started to loose again.
    Maybe you need to look into that calorie zig zagging stuff.
  • Nishka09
    Nishka09 Posts: 33
    Options
    maybe time of month? or sodium? But I hear you, this my story. A week to lose it, gain it back in a day, then another week to lose it all over.
  • sgoldman328
    sgoldman328 Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    I've been hearing a lot of good things about calorie zigzagging -- just commenting on a previous post
  • lrgarza82
    lrgarza82 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    If it was super hot, you probably drank a lot. May be water/fluid retention. I had the same issue: was working out like crazy, eating right and then had a gain and was like, "Where the heck did this come from?" Some of it is just undigested food in the intestines. Take 2 cups of prune juice (try to get the one without high fructose corn syrup) and then weigh yourself again. You'll be pleasantly surprised.
  • rman1971
    rman1971 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Stress can tax your system. Plus the extreme heat will cause your body to want to retain fluids. I know how hard it can be to lose weight, even the smallest amount. I too gained this past week. Don't let it get you down. If you have a healthy lifestyle, just keep at it. Don't focus so much on the number. Focus on you and being healthy and happy. It will come off.
  • kapeluza
    kapeluza Posts: 3,434 Member
    Options
    "The human body has a 5 lb swing daily. That means that on any given 24 hour period yo can go from 5 lbs above your "real" weight to 5 lbs below. Due to water weight, and waste we can swing quite a bit. The scale is a generalist at best, good for an Idea of where you are, but not very good at calculating exact measurements. I generally recommend weighing yourself no more then once every 2 weeks, at the same time, same day every week. Use other measurements along with this, I.E. size measurements, Body Fat %, and over all fitness level to make up the difference. "
  • RunningMom09
    RunningMom09 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    When the scale shows a 3lb gain overnight, it is not likely to be fat. Most likely it is water weight. Drink plenty of water for a day or so and your body will likely shed the excess water.
  • Derbygrrl77
    Options
    def could be heat/sodium-i gained 5 lbs back in two days! def normal though from what i read on here and not perm... and yeah ive heard of the calorie thing as well(eating alot! one day or less and sort of shocking the system-it kind of wakes it up - dont stress about the weight(like I did!LOL)
  • erzsebet_1560
    Options
    Thank you for the replies everyone:) Makes me feel better knowing you took time out of your busy days to listen to my rant:) Just to clarify....the 3 lbs gain has been a week...I haven't weighed all week...but whateva! I'm not giving up! And if I don't showit back down in a few days....well...I'm just gonna throw the damn thing out the window!!!
  • matt1986wilson
    Options
    Have the same problem. Saw the GP on Monday and had gained 3lbs in the last month since I saw her for my monthly weigh in and chat. I think instead of a scales, I'll ask to be measured instead as I'm hearing that's more accurate anyway.

Also, two things I'm changing: Drinking water every day (cause before I really wasn't) and walking more (not outside as my eyes are sensitive to sunlight but I figured a way round). That should improve things by next GP appointment anyway.