Water weight and water pills...

LJCDuke11
LJCDuke11 Posts: 103 Member
ok... FIRST let me say I KNOW that we all need water and in abundance, BUT my question is... you hear about using a diretic/water pills to "shed excess water"... Do you really carry "excess water"? Wouldn't it just all come right back if you turned your body into a desert? ....

Replies

• amysj303
    amysj303 Posts: 5,086 Member
    Yes. I took a diuretic for 30 days, it was supposed to be indicative of a hearing disease, Meniere's, they said if I had Meniere's then taking the diuretic would improve my hearing. Anyway, I peed away about 3 pounds but it came back as soon as I stopped taking the diuretic. I think sometimes they are used by people with adema, or other sorts of water retention that isn't normal, my grandpa was on strong diuretics because fluid was building up around his heart (congestive heart failure), and I have heard of competitive body builders using them so the muscle definition looks better, not masked by any water. But it is not a long term weight loss cure. Still, if you had to lose weight quickly, like, 10 pounds to qualify for health insurance, it might not be a bad idea!
  • hellhammer
    hellhammer Posts: 45
    well its always a matter of how youre doing it lets say youre takin dandelion root , which is a very good diuretci and cost 4$ btw ,compared to retarded fat burner pills, if you go slowly and lose a little bit water everyday but still drink a lot you wont take it back.

on the other side lets say you take 5 dandelion pills everyday and you dont drink water at all your body will send a signal to your brain man we need water were losing to much and were not receiving any , then youll get all that water back as soon as pills are out!

And yes we carry extra water, me by example i drink beer more than most peoplew , so when i got back to running i lost 5-6 pounds in 2 days THAT was excess water now im losing like 1-2 pounds a week and THATS fat :)

i hope i answered well
  • KHaverstick
    KHaverstick Posts: 308 Member
    Diuretics ("water pills") should really only be used on the advice or prescription of a physician, for people who have edema (swelling associated with fluid retention), blood pressure, and some other health conditions. Taking them to lose weight is not a good solution. If you are consuming too much sodium or not drinking enough water, you may be retaining water, but the best way to fix that is to drink more water and eat less sodium. Taking diuretics inappropriately can lead to electrolyte imbalances, which can be very serious. And, yes, if you purely lose water weight just from taking "water pills," it will likely come right back on when you stop taking them.
  • LJCDuke11
    LJCDuke11 Posts: 103 Member
    Awesome! Thanks! I'll have to looking into that Dandelian root... I've been educating myself about natural supplements, so thanks for the info!
  • DorkothyParker
    DorkothyParker Posts: 618 Member
    If I eat bread or sugar, I feel I retain much more water than normal and I feel very puffy in my skin, so I like to drain out that old water. I like to drink a lot of green tea or go to the sauna to shed excess water. I always try to stay well hydrated so I don't retain water.
    Maybe it's in my head, but I don't like the feeling of bloat brought on by water all up in my cells.