Need advice

Options
I know the food I have been eating is much healthier than it was last year (and every year previous for that matter), but I still feel I'm not balanced enough nutritionally. Could you guys take a look at my diary for the last week or so and make some suggestions please?

Replies

• ivansmomma
    ivansmomma Posts: 500
    Options
    The first thing I notice is you are not eating enough. Anything below 1200 calories a day is not enough nutrition for your body. Try to find more ways for balanced meals, small snacks in the morning, afternoon and evening.
  • matt1986wilson
    Options
    If you are talking about today's diary, I haven't had dinner yet as its only 3.43pm here. But generally I'm a few hundred under my 2200 goal.
  • BeautifulScarsWECHANGED
    Options
    I'd love to see your sodium intake. I think you should add that to your diary to see if you're going over. Another suggestion is to put a minimun of 4 servings of vegetables in a day (1/2 cup cooked or 1 cup raw is usually about right).
  • LA_proud
    LA_proud Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    I am no expert. There are no healthy veggies in your diary and lots of dairy. Is it possible to add some leafy greens to the wraps that you eat? Just my thoughts.
  • DaveShoreshe
    Options
    I agree with ivansmomma... ou need to eat more... you're doing more damage than good when your body doesn't get enough nutrients. It will go crazy looking for it! Eat throughout the day. Small portions... take in during the course of the day at least 1800 calories. Use exercise to bring the calories down. Your body will use that as the fuel it needs to assist you in exercise and start building some normalcy to the good new things you start adding to your execrcise program.
  • Tnrbeaner
    Tnrbeaner Posts: 51
    Options
    At a quick glance, your diary looks pretty high in starches. I'm definitely not perfect myself, just to clarify : ) But I think a good improvement would be to switch your tortilla, wraps, pastas and breads to whole grain products which offer better nutrition. Also, personally I don't entirely consider corn to count as a vegetable as it's also starchy. Try adding in some greens and other vegetables that you like or could grow to like.
  • fionarama
    fionarama Posts: 788 Member
    Options
    you seem to eat the same thing every day which means you aren't geting variety. Also the ready meal for dinner is not good, ready meals are all high in salt etc
    More variety and more veges. even if you cooked a cup of green frozies like broccoli or beans to go with the ready meal, super easy and gives more fibre, vitamins etc
    More good quality protein like some grilled fresh salmon, grilled lean steak etc
    Its not bad though!
  • Jacala63
    Jacala63 Posts: 2
    Options
    :glasses: INCREASE THE VEGGIES!
    my favourite new "snack" is a red or yellow or orange pepper, sliced 1 tsp of low fat italian dressing and put in microwave for about 1-2 minutes

very yummy

by eating all the colours of the rainbow you are getting much needed vitamins and minerals

also found out that rainier cherries are only 4 calories each!! very delicious sweet treat (and they are in season)
  • runner328
    runner328 Posts: 174
    Options
    You need more fruit & veggies. I only saw corn & bananas. Plus switching to whole grains would be better for you.
  • nikkicarter13
    nikkicarter13 Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    It looks like you tend to eat the same things on a regular basis, which isn't necessarily a horrible thing since it keeps you in your calorie count. But you may want to try incoorporating more and a different variety of fruits and veggies into your diet. (ps. this is a goal of mine as well)
  • catwrangler
    catwrangler Posts: 918 Member
    Options
    That's alotta corn!

I would try to get more breakfast variety, try eggs and oatmeal every other day, try some yogurt/soy milk with your cereal instead of milk.

Definitely more greens and yellows and oranges needed in your veggie hit parade as well as some fresh fruits.

I'm going to friend you and keep an eye on you :laugh:
  • ivansmomma
    ivansmomma Posts: 500
    Options
    Sorry, didn't notice I was on today's diary, but I do agree that you need more fruits and veggies and less ready-made (processed) foods and more variety. Take care.
  • jagh09
    jagh09 Posts: 555 Member
    Options
    Just a quick look, but a few things I notice:

1. You're not drinking (or tracking) enough water
    2. There are more vegetables out there than corn - this is an issue I have with my hubby. He would live on bangers and mash and corn if I let him. Try to add in some green veg or some fresh salads to your routine.
    3. Lots of cheese and white bread - I love a good cheese sandwich, but maybe mix it up a bit. Do you like chicken? You can cook some nice chicken breasts on a day off and cut them up to make sandwiches. I'm not saying don't eat cheese, but maybe add in some other sources of lean protein for balance.
    4. Processed foods - a young man's favorite. Try to reduce the use of pre-packaged meals, or at least supplement them with fresh fruits and veg.

And your calorie intake seems low, like others have said. It's important to eat what your body needs to keep it going and burning fat.

Good job on making improvements! Like you said, every year gets better than the last. That's great progress! Keep up the great work.
  • luvgreen25
    luvgreen25 Posts: 202
    Options
    You may want to try shaking up your diet a bit. Add a little variety to your meals. It seems like you eat roughly the same thing every day (which isn't necessarily a bad thing, but your body gets used to that). And try adding a few more veggies and fruits.
  • MamaDee2
    MamaDee2 Posts: 843 Member
    Options
    Where's the green!?!?!? You need more fruits and veggies for sure!
  • catwrangler
    catwrangler Posts: 918 Member
    Options
    I see you are from Denmark? Do you live near markets that sell fresh veggies and fruits from farms? We call them farmer's markets. They are a great place to get fruits and veggies in season.
  • Riebop
    Riebop Posts: 275
    Options
    A few things popped out at me. You're not getting nearly enough protein. Try eating some form of protein with every meal. There's also a lack of fruits and veggies. Try to get 5 servings a day. Salad with lunch is a great way to add veg and try having fruit as a snack.

Also, I take it you like pizza. :P I noticed that you ate alot one week. I have nothing against pizza, however, try cutting down the portions you're eating and add a salad to the meal.

Finally, processed foods. Try to limit the number of days a week you eat a frozen dinner. One, they're packed with sodium which leads to water retention. Two, they're usually lacking in nutritional value. They're good if you're in a pinch, but try to find some quick and easy recipes that include a whole grain carbohydrate, some lean protein and veggies.
  • harley0269
    harley0269 Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    sweety,
    the first thing i would do is get rid of that corn! thats what we use to fatten up our cows with!
    *balance out your meals more.
    *watch your sodium intake! that ham is high in sodium. any processed meat is.
    *introduce some green veggies in your meal, steam them & top with parmesan cheese for extra flavor if youd like.
    my personal favorites are bags of frozen stir-fry veggies. i steam them. its a great variety of mixed veggies.
    *add some fish & chicken into your meal plan too. bake it or grill it. different seasonings make it taste different & yummy.
    *drink lots of water. 8 glasses a day to flush your system does wonders.
    *oatmeal (or porridge) is a great breakfast staple too. you can add peanut butter, bananas, nuts, berries or anything to it, so it never gets dull or boring.
    ~also may i suggest watch your labels. i noticed your banana is 100 calories for a whole 'nanner. mine is 100 calories for a half banana! sometimes you have to sort thru the food database to find the correct nutrition info for your food item.
    ~also maybe skip that tortilla, just have it occassionally. thats alot of white flour & high in sodium.
    use more whole wheat. its more filling & yummy.

it really is all about getting back to basics. well balanced, colorful & unprocessed foods is the best for you. & watch your portions!

GOOD LUCK!
  • svanhoecke
    svanhoecke Posts: 266
    Options
    A few bits of advice:

1. I can't see your sodium, but I have a hunch that is a bit higher than it should be. But I don't know if that is something you are trying to watch
    2. More veggies and fruit. Replace some of the fattier items (you seems to be going over on fat) with a huge serving of vegetables.
    3. You sometimes skip breakfast. I wouldn't suggest this. Try and eat a little something before you start your day.
    4. Split your meals up a little more. You tend to eat 3 huge meals instead of 5-6 smaller meals. Instead of 3 meals around 500-1000 calories each, try 6 meals around 300 calories each. Your tummy will thank you for keeping it full all day.
    5. Add more protein

Great job! :happy:
  • harley0269
    harley0269 Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    i totally agree on 6 smaller meals than 3 big ones!!.
    you need to keep that metabolism up so it keeps burning.!!
    i know its hard to get use to that, but IT WORKS!
    im going to add you add you. you can look at my diary for ideas. im not perfect, but i stay in the ballpark.
    also good friends will keep you motivated.
    im disabled so i cant exercise like most people, but i try.
    and thats what its all about :wink: