Injury and cardio

Options
brucebruce32088
brucebruce32088 Posts: 2 Member
edited July 2017 in Fitness and Exercise
Hi

Recently suffered a nasty calf strain and I'm going through all the steps needed for recovering.

But...

I've been making good progress with diet and exercise and don't want to see major set backs while I recover.

Is there any form of cardio I can do with out doing more harm to my calf. I don't have access to a pool. But I was thinking once I'm walking ok I could do some punching bag stuff and primarily work on upper body stuff.

Or should I just reduce calories even more and R.I.C.E this out?

Thanks in advance for any Input.

Replies

• MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    Rowing? That's largely your upper leg and core dominant. Arm bike, or possibly recumbent depending on how Bad the strain is.
  • SCoil123
    SCoil123 Posts: 2,108 Member
    Options
    I second rowing machine.
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    Options
    Or should I just reduce calories even more and R.I.C.E this out?

Reduce calories and hold the RICE:
    drmirkin.com/fitness/why-ice-delays-recovery.html
    :+1:
  • ErinMarie25
    ErinMarie25 Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    You can reduce calories and continue with R.I.C.E.

I ended up getting tendinitis in my knee a few years ago, I waited until it was back to 100% before I did any sort of working out. I stayed at 1200 calories, I didn't get a setback at all. :)
  • cforsyth617
    cforsyth617 Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    Hi, i just did the same thing on Thursday although i am not sure my injury as is severe as yours. My physio recommended swimming and cycling. This morning I did my fitness workout with adaptations i.e. pushups from the knees and sitting down for my arm exercises,and no squats or lunges. Hope this helps and that you heal soon.
  • OldAssDude
    OldAssDude Posts: 1,436 Member
    Options
    How did you injure your calf?
  • brucebruce32088
    brucebruce32088 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Thank you to all for your input and your kindness! <3

Bcalvanese: I over did it on leg day and the next morning couldn't even walk or get up with out assistance. The pain was rather extreme. But it's been about 4 or 5 days and the swelling as gone down a good deal and I can put some weight on it. I've been doing r.i.c.e plus some special massage stuff. Seems to be doing the trick. But I'm probably a good while away from exercising it.