Can't See Results Yet - Just Mental or Is It Because I Have a Long Way to Go?

Hello everyone. So, I've been logging my foods here for over 100 days, and I've lost 40lbs so far. I'm thrilled by that obviously, and I'm going to keep going. My frustration is that I can see zero difference when I look in the mirror. I know that when you have a lot to lose (and I have about 80lbs more to go) you don't see the weight loss as quickly. I've gone down 4 pants sizes, and I can tell a difference in how my clothes feel. At the same time, whenever I happen to catch my reflection in the mirror. I look just as big as I ever did. I've taken pictures, but still I can't see anything.

I know I still have a long way to go. Will it just take a bit longer to see the changes or am I just not seeing it because I'm so used to being large?

Replies

• rachelpauline93
    rachelpauline93 Posts: 40 Member
    You should start taking pictures once a month. It's hard to see the difference in the mirror because you see yourself all the time, but photos don't lie. 40 pounds is not a small feat!
  • lucypstacy
    lucypstacy Posts: 178 Member
    edited July 2017
    I took my first pictures when I was around 255lbs honestly. I had been avoiding cameras for a very long time. I've taken several since them but there's no difference that I can see.

I started out at 267 and I'm 227 now.
  • Chadxx
    Chadxx Posts: 1,199 Member
    You should start taking pictures once a month. It's hard to see the difference in the mirror because you see yourself all the time, but photos don't lie. 40 pounds is not a small feat!

This, pictures help a lot. Without them, it can be hard to see how much you have changed. Eventually though, it will become much more noticable and the change on the scale and dropping of clothing sizes are proof of your progress.
  • Dandelie
    Dandelie Posts: 153 Member
    Start looking for the changes in your body. I have only lost 23.6 pounds, but I noticed loose skin and dips where none existed before. I know you may want to see a huge change in the mirror. And one day that will happen, but celebrate the little changes. They are what will keep you going.
  • lucypstacy
    lucypstacy Posts: 178 Member
    I honestly see no change. I know there is one, but I'll keep taking pictures.

I have to see a surgeon for massive hernia surgery on the 19th. That might actually make a lot of change since my entire abdominal area is bulged out.
  • timtam163
    timtam163 Posts: 500 Member
    I struggle with seeing my body objectively. I still sometimes think I have the same body as I did when I was much heavier, even though I have objective evidence that my body has changed. I think it's a case of mild body dysmorphia.

It helps to keep track of your measurements, and also to keep some fat clothing around just to remind yourself of where you've been. At that weight also, physical changes might not manifest as drastic physique shifts yet; but rather you might want to track stuff like mood, sleep quality, energy, etc. All this stuff takes patience and stick-with-it-ness and self-love. Don't be so hard on yourself and celebrate your success; 1/3 of the way there is impressive and you're doing more than most people. It'll be a long trek, but you'll get there eventually. Rooting for ya!!!