Question for those who are, or who have been pregnant?

Options
midpath
midpath Posts: 246 Member
So I adjusted my calorie goals so I would be eating 1950 a day which is totally fine because I'm about 45 pounds overweight right now. I'm 18 weeks pregnant and have gained 18 pounds even while watching the food intake. Midwife says I should only gain about 25 pounds this pregnancy and according to her, the biggest weight gains have yet to come as they mostly happen in the third trimester. I don't feel comfortable lowering my calories because 1950 already puts me at a deficit...of like a quarter of a pound a week lol. So thats my dilemma. I've been eating super healthy and taking my prenatals and watching how much I eat out and I've barely touched junk food. Any advice? Should I just gain and worry about it later or try to stay under the 25 mark?

Replies

• Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,644 Member
    Options
    What does your OB say?
  • allyphoe
    allyphoe Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    How's your blood pressure? Are you spilling any protein? Headache? Swelling?

Rapid weight gain (and "I've gained 18 pounds in 12-14 weeks while eating at a deficit" is bordering on rapid) is a sign of pre-eclampsia, and that will kill you dead.
  • avingers
    avingers Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I don't think any ob would say it's advisable to eat at a deficit while pregnant. Eat healthy, and take care of yourself. I gained 60 lbs with my pregnancy, my friend gained 70. Babies were fine, and so were we. You're going to gain weight no matter what, and it just depends on the individual how much.
  • allyphoe
    allyphoe Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    avingers wrote: »
    I don't think any ob would say it's advisable to eat at a deficit while pregnant.

Doctors assume that if you're gaining weight (as OP is), that you're not eating at a deficit. OP has been advised to gain slowly (to eat at a slight surplus).

Most people have no clue what their TDEE is. Assuming OP knows from long experience what her TDEE is, she's gained a lot of water weight, which is an entirely different potentially problematic thing than excessive fat gain.
  • midpath
    midpath Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    allyphoe wrote: »
    How's your blood pressure? Are you spilling any protein? Headache? Swelling?

Rapid weight gain (and "I've gained 18 pounds in 12-14 weeks while eating at a deficit" is bordering on rapid) is a sign of pre-eclampsia, and that will kill you dead.

18 pounds in 18 weeks but its been slowing down. I'm just worried that I'm going to soar over that 25 mark by the end. And my blood work looks really good and no protein in the urine etc. No swelling, headache, nothing except some really bad cramps but since this is baby #2 they said its going to be worse this time around. Last pregnancy I started at 275 pounds and after the baby was born I was sitting at 250 which is still considered obese for my height. Doctors were pretty happy with it overall, thats when my weight loss journey started (wanted to be healthy to see my kids into old age).