plus size- how much weight before you went down a size in clothes?

Options
hi folks :)

just wondering how much weight people lost before they went down a size in clothes if they are "plus size"? (i understand inches more important than weight especially when working out, but i just was wondering!)

Replies

• Okiludy
    Okiludy Posts: 558 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    At 25lbs XXXL clothing got pretty baggy. Work clothing I haven't dropped in size yet but likely could. Workout clothing I did drop in size as keeping shorts up became an issue.

I lost weight from calves, forearms, face, and neck first. My hips are down a little and gut is still not budging much. You could lose in different areas first. So how clothing fits and weight loss can be pretty different per person.
  • laurenebargar
    laurenebargar Posts: 3,081 Member
    Options
    Im almost at 30 pounds and it depends on the clothes, some of my old clothes still fit, some dont. I went down about two sizes in some pants for work, and a size down in tops, currently most of my clothes are in this awkward stage of not looking good anymore, but also not looking super baggy. I was kind of on the line for plus size though, I had a few 16's and 14's in pants, and I have a pair of size 10 pants that fit, but most of my pants right now that fit well are 12's
  • kdavid1987
    kdavid1987 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    25 lbs I dropped from a 14/16 to a 12/14, which is pretty loose. Depends on your body composition tho, I carry most of my fat in my tum so pants are much looser but I am still wearing all the same tops at this point.
  • ltkasmala
    ltkasmala Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I read some place about five years ago (when I first started this journey) that for about every 10 pounds you loose, you "should" go down a size. I'm sure that's a rough estimate, but it's some kind of guide, at least. Hope that helps!
  • skinnylady2014
    skinnylady2014 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Great question, which I was wondering too!! I am feeling impatient to go down a size. Have lost 20 pounds since April but am in most of the same clothes. My stomach and hips have shrunk some so that clothes fit better. Still have not gone down a size. I think each body loses in different ways and places. My height is 5'6". I walk almost every day.
  • MsHarryWinston
    MsHarryWinston Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    Maybe 5 pounds? I lose inches faster than pounds so I'm down a pants size every 3 weeks or so.
  • crystald911
    crystald911 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    When I started I wore size 18 jeans at 233lbs. I am 5'7.5" tall. Now, I am 186lbs and in a size 12 jeans. And went from 2X tops to now XL. It seemed like it took forever to go down a size, but once it started it happens pretty quickly, I have already gotten several size 10 at the thrift store to be ready.
  • choppie70
    choppie70 Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    It took me a good 20 or so pounds to go down one pant size (18 to a 16) and my 18's were not tight. I did lose a lot of inches, but my thighs :'(
  • siyana1985
    siyana1985 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    i've lost 28lbs and am just starting to notice that although my size 18 jeans are still TECHNICALLY wearable, the legs of them are getting baggy so i feel them flap when i'm walking (they used to be a good snug/confortable fit) and i do have to hike them up throughout the day a fair bit. i'm still not comfortable when i wear the size 16 jeans (still feel a bit uncomfortably snug) i'm kind of in between at the moment~
  • mhvrt986
    mhvrt986 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Weigh 140lbs... need to lose 15lbs - 20lbs
  • Cphaye
    Cphaye Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    NEMom80 wrote: »
    I just recently dropped close to 30 lbs and I'm still in the same size. The clothes are lose but the size down doesn't quite fit just yet. I probably also should've been in a bigger size to start but I couldn't bring myself to buy the bigger clothes.

I hear you I refuse to go up in size for clothes as well. Im also to the point where I WONT spend large some of money on any one piece of clothing as well. Im fed up with this weight.
  • NewYearNewMe140
    NewYearNewMe140 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I'm so glad you posted this question! All of the comments are so encouraging. I've lost 18 pounds and my pant legs are quite loose, but the waist still fits just fine :#
  • bikecheryl
    bikecheryl Posts: 1,432 Member
    Options
    I started at 288 - 2-3XL tops, size 22-24 pant.
    I'm down to 251... XL-1XL shirts and found a stretchy pair of size 18 blue jean capri's that fit!

I think it depends where you loose the weight first......... for me it was the stomach... I now have a waist again.

On the other hand, I swear I haven't lost an oz. off my butt yet. :/

I'm hoping the next 35 lbs or so will come off that area. ;)

Hang in there..... it seems like forever when your in the middle of it, but in reality it can happen faster than you think.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    50 and even then I probably had no business in the smaller size but I was NOT going to buy the same size anymore. Previously losing weight I was larger and lost sizes very quickly. Even at a higher weight I was a much smaller size but this time around hasn't been like that at all.
  • SkimpyMrsCarter
    SkimpyMrsCarter Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    25lbs
  • aloranger7708
    aloranger7708 Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    I lost 55lbs to go from a 22/xxl to a 14/xl.