Newbie intro :o)

Options
Hi there,

Just want to intro myself, since I plan to be spending lots of time on MFP. I made an account in May, but yesterday I finally got a handle on tracking my food, and started in earnest.

I am in my 50s, married with 2 kids, a former serial yoyo dieter and currently live in Germany. I am retired, love to garden and cook from scratch.

Over the last 9 years (since I moved to Germany), my weight slowly crept up, until I reached a very unhappy 249 lbs. All that unhealthy German food!

Last winter, things really came to a head after really unhappy autumn and horrible Christmas vacation. I was sleeping badly, shlepped around in my nightie until noon, and basically sat around reading, watching Netflix or poking my devices.

Weeks would go by, where I only left the house to go grocery shopping and I didn't talk to friends or family (except the hubs). I had a hard time with stairs due to a bum knee and even prolonged walking was not the greatest.

Then a huge thing happened - I found the low carb way of eating and eliminated carbs and sugar from my diet.

Within a month, I started to have more energy, I lost weight (slowly), and started on a gentle workout routine at home.

Fast forward to now (6 months later).

I've lost 40 lbs, I have tons of energy, I feel happy and sparkly and am starting to like my body and myself. I walk 10,000 steps every day, do circuit training at my gym 3x a week, and yoga on the other 3 days. And I get an uninterrupted 6 or 7 hours of sleep every night. This hadn't happened since my daughter was born 34 years ago!

I still have a long way to go to lose more weight and to get really fit. My goal is to start running, and switch up to hot yoga when I lose a bit more around the waist.

I would love to get some friends on here, for mutual support - feel free to add me.

There, sorry for the verbal diarrhea. I just got up, had my first coffee and I'm pumped. Off to the gym

Replies

• melanieann72
    melanieann72 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Well done you! That's an amazing achievement. I'm not sure how to add but would like a mfp buddy - I started 20 days ago as I reached a breaking point with my mind body relationship. Since 2010 I had gone up 4 dress sizes and my tummy legs and thighs were far too big for my frame. I felt weak and was low on energy too. Something switched recently. Like you I found the resolve to change my eating and drinking habits. Made a firm commitment to go to the gym and keep moving by biking and walking too. I live in London and have quite a time consuming stressful job but I'm making use of my down time! Please add me if you would like someone to cheer you on! Perhaps we can do so for each other
  • MiaCanadian
    MiaCanadian Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much for your comment. I will see if I can figure out how to add you - I'd love someone to cheer me on, and do so in return :)