Fitbit Calorie Adjustment.

Options
I have a fitbit one but I only wear this doing normal day to day activities, if I'm doing any actual exercise I take it off and wear my polar watch as it has a chest strap and I find it is a little more accurate. Today I burned 310 calories running based on my polar watch but I haven't done many steps today other than that so my fitbit calories are negative but not by much. I put the 310 into myfitnesspal but it's not giving me that extra, it's still saying a negative amount. Just wondering if I've set this up correctly?

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    We don't have enough information to be able to answer that question. If you have a negative adjustment, it's because you've moved less than your activity level would have predicted. So it's possible, depending on your activity level setting, that you have still burned fewer calories than MFP would have predicted, even with 310 calories from exercise.
  • tiffanylacourse
    tiffanylacourse Posts: 2,985 Member
    Options
    When you put the activity in on MFP, if your Fitbit is linked, it will go there and replace your activity from that time period and re-adjust I believe. Check out the fitbit group - http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/1290-fitbit-users
  • ashleighs148
    ashleighs148 Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    We don't have enough information to be able to answer that question. If you have a negative adjustment, it's because you've moved less than your activity level would have predicted. So it's possible, depending on your activity level setting, that you have still burned fewer calories than MFP would have predicted, even with 310 calories from exercise.

I completely deleted the 310 and the fitbit calorie adjustment was -13, I added in the 310 and it's now -297.
  • Meelisv
    Meelisv Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    Why make things complicated with 2 devices. Your Polar watch is as good step counter as Fitbit and probably better. Just dump the Fitbit and use Polar Ford all activities.

Also you don't need to enter activity calories into MFP manually, both Polar and Fitbit are supported and can do automatic calorie syncing with MFP.
  • ashleighs148
    ashleighs148 Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    Meelisv wrote: »
    Why make things complicated with 2 devices. Your Polar watch is as good step counter as Fitbit and probably better. Just dump the Fitbit and use Polar Ford all activities.

Also you don't need to enter activity calories into MFP manually, both Polar and Fitbit are supported and can do automatic calorie syncing with MFP.

The battery life on the polar watch is very poor, it doesn't count steps and it would be very uncomfortable to wear a chest strap all day, I'm also not allowed to wear a watch at work so I wear the fitbit one on my bra. My polar watch isn't compatible with myfitnesspal so I need to do it manually.
  • JenHuedy
    JenHuedy Posts: 611 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    If you have fitbit connected to your MFP account, be sure to use Fitbit to log all of your exercise. If you want to add exercise from your Polar, log it in Fitbit, and it will transfer to MFP when it syncs your steps. Otherwise fitbit won't "know" that you earned those calories and it will take them away when it syncs with MFP.

I use Garmin for my runs, so I sync Garmin with Fitbit, then sync fitbit with MFP and everything all works out.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Meelisv wrote: »

The battery life on the polar watch is very poor, it doesn't count steps and it would be very uncomfortable to wear a chest strap all day, I'm also not allowed to wear a watch at work so I wear the fitbit one on my bra. My polar watch isn't compatible with myfitnesspal so I need to do it manually.

Yes ^

Polar has many different models.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10098937/faq-syncing-logging-food-exercise-calorie-adjustments-activity-levels-accuracy/p1