best way to defrost a bagel?

Options
jessiferrrb
jessiferrrb Posts: 1,758 Member
so it's not like biting into a really chewy rock. any suggestions?

Replies

• Geocitiesuser
    Geocitiesuser Posts: 1,429 Member
    Options
    counter top wrapped in a towel I'd think. Or just cook/toast it first after it's soft enough to slice
  • jessiferrrb
    Options
    thanks, i'll give it a shot, and a google. :)
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    Put it in the fridge the day before. Or you can place in oven at 120 for about ten minutes. I have defrosting bread in a micro.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    I just leave it out to defrost... half an hour to an hour is usually enough.

Are you wrapping them up in the freezer enough and how long are you leaving them in there?
  • jessiferrrb
    Options

Are you wrapping them up in the freezer enough and how long are you leaving them in there?

someone brought a dozen bagels to a brunch i had for easter, we never even put them out because there was so much food so i just tossed the paper bag of them in the freezer. now i have a craving.
  • thewindandthework
    thewindandthework Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    Frozen bagels are unknown to me. Are they fresh bagels that people freeze for storage, or are they a frozen product?
  • stahlhaus
    stahlhaus Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Wrap in a damp paper towel, and microwave @ 30% for 1 minute. Then it will come apart and go in the toaster. Seems to avoid any toughness that way. Unless it's already freezer burned, but that usually doesn't happen unless it's been in the freezer a really long time (months & months).
  • royalty_mind_1me
    royalty_mind_1me Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    Frozen bagels are unknown to me. Are they fresh bagels that people freeze for storage, or are they a frozen product?

probably a einstein bagel lol...they offer freezer bags....lol...I just froze a bunch too...I plan on using a towel in the microwave too
  • jessiferrrb
    Options
    i wrapped it in a damp paper towel and put it in the oven while it was pre heating to 400, worked pretty well but since it was still a bit cold in the middle i toasted it for on low after. thanks all!
  • texteach66
    texteach66 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Put them in the oven on warm, they come out like you just bought them warm at the bagel shop.
  • CattOfTheGarage
    CattOfTheGarage Posts: 2,750 Member
    Options
    Room temperature, wrapped in a cloth or paper towel. Then if it's too hard/chewy, warm it in the oven for 5-10 min. Bread goes chewy because the gluten sets hard; you can soften it by warming it up (though it only has so many 'lives' before it goes permanently stale).
  • cs2thecox
    cs2thecox Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    Always slice before freezing if you can.
    Always toast when defrosted - bread is NEVER the same after it's been in the freezer.
    I either leave mine in the fridge for ~24 hours to defrost, or out on the drainer for ~12 hours.

Reminds me I haven't had a bagel in AGES!!
  • jayemes
    jayemes Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    @crazyravr never thought to slice before we froze - great idea!
  • OliveGirl128
    OliveGirl128 Posts: 801 Member
    Options
    I defrost a bagel almost every day for my husband and just do a few seconds of the defrost mode in the microwave, before toasting.
  • OliveGirl128
    OliveGirl128 Posts: 801 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options

I do bi-weekly grocery shopping so I put bagels, English muffins and then my sprouted whole grains bread in the freezer so they keep for longer. We toast all of these, and I haven't had any problems with taste/texture.
  • Treece68
    Treece68 Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    wrap in paper towel microwave 20-30 seconds. You can also put it right into the toaster
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    someone brought a dozen bagels to a brunch i had for easter, we never even put them out because there was so much food so i just tossed the paper bag of them in the freezer. now i have a craving.

If they were not further wrapped in tight sealing plastic and/or foil, the frost-free cycling of the freezer has removed the water from them, explaining why they are hard as a rock. They also may not taste like much. Growing up, we called this "duck bread" and brought it with us to the harbor.

• earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    jayemes wrote: »
    @crazyravr never thought to slice before we froze - great idea!

Not only do I slice first, I put a folded piece of waxed paper between the slices so I can take one slice out of the freezer at a time
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options

Throw them out if they were frozen in a basic paper bag. There is no more moisture left in them and they are likely freezer-burned to boot. Always freeze food in airtight packaging: plastic, aluminum foil, freezer paper, plastic or glass containers (make sure there is head space if freezing in glass), etc.