Fat / muscle

Options
2»

Replies

• jamie78
    jamie78 Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    <Sigh>… Yes muscle ways more than fat and here is why.

Weight is a measure of force (so technically it is measured in newtons), specifically the force gravity has on an object. Whereas, mass is a measure of how much matter an object has (measured in mg, g, kg, etc…). Mass is constant, weight is variable (granted I think all of us are on Earth). I think we can agree on all of this, at least I hope so.

Furthermore, in order to compare two objects scientifically, you need to have both a constant and a variable. Saying that 1lb of fat weighs the same as 1lb of muscle is a given because you are only comparing the two constants and ignoring the variable. That is no different than me saying that 100 calories of butter is that same as 100 calories of lettuce, however the quantities of both will differ. So when someone says that muscle weighs more or has more mass than fat it should be assumed that we are not referring to the two obvious constants alone, but are referring to their weights as a variable with respect to a constant volume.

Additionally, when you refer to density you are, by definition, referring to mass and volume simultaneously since density = mass/volume. You cannot know a specific density without knowing both the mass and volume of an object.

So to see how mass volume and density all relate simply think of the following equation:

Weight = (Density x Volume) x Gravity

I always love your replies! Thanks
  • liftingbro
    liftingbro Posts: 2,029 Member
    Options
    i think you already got the answer to your question btu i just wanted to point out something that actually is a myth.
    when you first start working out you don't gain that much muscle. It takes body builders quite a few weeks before they put on weight through gaining muscle. what actually happens is that as you start to use your muscles they begin to tear a little. your body then surrounds the muscle with fluid to repair the tears and this is what increases weight. it's just extra fluid (maybe with a little bit of leaner muscle) it usually takes around a month to level off :smile:

That's not really true. You will gain a significant amount of muscle when you first start lifting. In fact, you will probably gain muscle faster in the beginning that you will any other time. According to podpod results I gained 9-10 pounds of muscle in three months when I first started lifting and I'm in my mid 30's. Granted, I'm a guy but younger guys can put even more in the beginning and a lot easier than I did.

What is "leaner" muscle? Muscle is lean by nature, there is no such thing. More dense muscle? Sure.
  • maillemaker
    maillemaker Posts: 1,253 Member
    Options
    mandeiko's picture illustrates the answer perfectly.

Another way to think of it is the old joke: "Which weighs more, a pound of lead or a pound of feathers?"

Obviously, they both weigh a pound.

The real question is, which occupies MORE VOLUME?

And of course a pound of feathers is going to consume much more space than a pound of lead.

Likewise, a pound of fat will consume more space under your skin than a pound of muscle.
  • joejccva71
    joejccva71 Posts: 2,985 Member
    Options
    i really would like to meet the person who made up that phrase "muscle weighs more than fat" .. seriously! A pound is a pound is a pound! o.O

But a lb of fat and a lb of muscle aren't the same. The lb of muscle would be smaller because it weighs more. Just like a lb of rocks would be smaller than a lb of feathers because .... wait for it ... a rock weighs more than a feather.

NO matter the size of something a pound is a pound, Yes one might have a lot more volume but its still a pound.

The OP did not ask if a pound was the same as a pound. She asked if muscle weighs more than fat, and the answer is yes as per my previous explanation.

Well said.

Also,
    STRENGTHENING

All adults should do exercises to strengthen the muscles at least two days a week. These activities can include push-ups, situps, using resistance bands, or lifting weights. Make sure to do exercises that work on all the parts of your body.

If you are doing a regular program of strength training (weight lifting), your muscles will get bigger. It is possible that your overall weight will increase, because muscle weighs more than fat. However, your clothes will probably fit better and your body will be more toned. Your body composition is a better indicator of your overall health than the number on the scale.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmedhealth/PMH0004455/

/thread
  • voluptas63
    voluptas63 Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    <Sigh>… Yes muscle ways more than fat and here is why.

I like how you get all scientific and whatnot... and exchange weighs=ways.
  • Helendec1962
    Options
    Muscle does not weigh more than fat, any more than lead weighs more than feathers. A pound is a pound is a pound. Where the misunderstanding often comes in is that muscle is much more dense than fat, so that, by volume, it seems to weigh more. That is, a pound of muscle occupies less space than a pound of fat. In addition, because a pound of muscle burns more fat than a pound of fat, even at rest, by increasing your lean muscle tissue mass, you're helping your body burn more calories.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I find all this obsession with "a lb is a lb" fascinating. I'd just like to know how those who refuse to admit that muscle is heavier than fat actually define the word "heavier". Because it would seem that in your minds NOTHING could every be "heavier" simply because units of measure exist.
  • liftingbro
    liftingbro Posts: 2,029 Member
    Options
    OK PEOPLE. I don't like to come off arrogant but for God's sake, 1 cubic inch of muscle most certainly does weigh more than 1 cubic inch of fat. IT IS A FACT SO STOP WITH THE " A POUND IS A POUND" CRAP. Any moron can tell you 1lb=1lb, that's not the arguement.

Jeez, homers, get with it!

Sorry about the rant but so muce misinformation is just annoying the holy hell out of me.
  • joejccva71
    joejccva71 Posts: 2,985 Member
    Options
    Isthisreallife? :)
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    OK PEOPLE. I don't like to come off arrogant but for God's sake, 1 cubic inch of muscle most certainly does weigh more than 1 cubic inch of fat. IT IS A FACT SO STOP WITH THE " A POUND IS A POUND" CRAP. Any moron can tell you 1lb=1lb, that's not the arguement.

Jeez, homers, get with it!

Sorry about the rant but so muce misinformation is just annoying the holy hell out of me.

Ditto this^^