Fitbit Blaze (watch) question

Options
I'm feeling that my steps are inaccurate. I was making dinner (stirring a pot) and my steps were going up! I wasn't even walking around. Just doing that easily gave me 100 steps! I'm thinking about all the other hand movements while not walking, overstating my steps by alot.
Is there a way I can stop this from happening? I wear it on my left (dominant) hand.

Replies

• malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    You can go into the Fitbit app and tell it that it's on your dominant hand, which will minimize those steps a bit. I'm right handed and wear my Blaze on my left wrist, but I have it set to dominant.
  • angelaypolite
    angelaypolite Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I do have it set on dominant hand, my left hand and I am wearing it on my left. So I need to wear it on my right hand?
  • arialb122
    arialb122 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Is it brand new for you? I noticed mine took several days to really determine what were steps and what were other movements. Clapping is the only movement I have now noticed that it counts as steps.
  • angelaypolite
    angelaypolite Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    arialb122 wrote: »
    Is it brand new for you? I noticed mine took several days to really determine what were steps and what were other movements. Clapping is the only movement I have now noticed that it counts as steps.

I've had it for a few months now.
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Options
    Honestly wrist devices are going to pick up hand movement sometimes. But they're also going to miss steps when you're holding something or pushing a cart. One theory is that in the end, the extra steps balance out the missed steps.

And if you've had this for a few months, its fairly safe to assume that its an honest record of your activity if you use it for goal setting. Such as if your average for last month was 9000 steps and you now aim to do 10,000. If you move enough now to hit 10,000 you are moving more than you did before.
  • RosieRose7673
    RosieRose7673 Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    Honestly wrist devices are going to pick up hand movement sometimes. But they're also going to miss steps when you're holding something or pushing a cart. One theory is that in the end, the extra steps balance out the missed steps.

And if you've had this for a few months, its fairly safe to assume that its an honest record of your activity if you use it for goal setting. Such as if your average for last month was 9000 steps and you now aim to do 10,000. If you move enough now to hit 10,000 you are moving more than you did before.

This. There's no real way around it. But for me at least, it seems to even out. I've noticed extra steps when I was sitting down sorting through paperwork but at the same time, I've actually noticed my Fitbit not picking up steps for walking activities. I think it turns out to be a wash.

• Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I'm right handed and wear my fitbit on my left wrist. I told fitbit I'm right handed and wear my fitbit on my right hand to cut down on the sensitivity and erroneous movement steps. I make sure not to stir anything with my left hand as i have noticed it picks this up as "steps".