I Must Be Crazy!

Options
My original plan was to train with C210K (did) and run a 10K race in November to celebrate turning 50.

BUT...

Just found out that there is a race on my actual birthday. But it's not a 10K. Oh no! It's a Half Marathon!!!!

Part of me thinks I'm nuts. Part of me thinks I can do it. I'm this close to signing up to run a Half Marathon on my 50th birthday! Can I train enough from now until November 4th to do it?

btw, I can run the 10K distance now. As of this morning, I ran it in 1:12.

Replies

• chelllsea124
    chelllsea124 Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    DO IT!!! You got this!!!! :) That would be such an awesome birthday present!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    You have plenty of training time for a 1/2...just follow a good 1/2 training program...and one that isn't too aggressive.

My wife is training for a 1/2 she's running in October and she originally picked a plan that is more suitable to someone who's already putting quite a few miles in every week...she's an avid runner but took some time away from the game over the winter and spring and I think she thought she could just leap back into where she left off...paid for it a little with her first week long run and has since adjusted her training program.
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Options
    My original plan was to train with C210K (did) and run a 10K race in November to celebrate turning 50.

BUT...

Just found out that there is a race on my actual birthday. But it's not a 10K. Oh no! It's a Half Marathon!!!!

Part of me thinks I'm nuts. Part of me thinks I can do it. I'm this close to signing up to run a Half Marathon on my 50th birthday! Can I train enough from now until November 4th to do it?

You have plenty of time! Many half marathon training programs are 10-12 weeks and start with you being able to run a 10k.

I have done 3 halfs before, thru a combination of running and walking. My next is mid October (day before my birthday) and I've slacked lately on my running. Even so, today is day 1, week 1 of my training. Wanna do this together?
  • StaciMarie1974
    Options
    PS-I ran a 10 4 months ago in 1:07. I'm kicking myself that I did NOT keep to running ~3 times a week. But I also know the body is an amazing thing and if I get into a routine I can get back there. Tonight I am running for at least 30 minutes.

Staci
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Yeah it is doable, I went from 10k to half marathon in 5 months. In fact I was injured and hadn't run for a few weeks when I signed up for the half!
  • WandaVaughn
    WandaVaughn Posts: 420 Member
    Options

I have done 3 halfs before, thru a combination of running and walking. My next is mid October (day before my birthday) and I've slacked lately on my running. Even so, today is day 1, week 1 of my training. Wanna do this together?

What training program are you using?
  • WandaVaughn
    Options
    Yeah it is doable, I went from 10k to half marathon in 5 months. In fact I was injured and hadn't run for a few weeks when I signed up for the half!

But I only have 4 months to train. :neutral:
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options

But you're not at a base of 0, if your long run is 10k, you'll be fine.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options

This is a novice training plan...it's 12 weeks long. Most 1/2 marathon training plans I've seen are about 12 weeks long...you have plenty of time.

http://www.halhigdon.com/training/51131/Half-Marathon-Novice-1-Training-Program
  • WandaVaughn
    Options
    cwolfman13 - thanks for the link!
  • StaciMarie1974
    Options
    My first half marathon: I trained in 4 months and I started out with NO formal running experience. Call that crazy lol. I found a Galloway method online. Started out doing something like 1 minute walking/1 minute running repeat. 2 x 30-45 minute runs each week, one other run each week that got longer week by week. 2nd week, increased to something like 2 minutes run/1 min walk and repeat. Each week increasing run time between breaks.

Now I am able to do more than 1-2 minute runs. :) I expect to be back to running a 10k minimum (without walking breaks) within a few weeks at most. I downloaded an app called 21k Runner. Has a 12 week (I think its 12!) program. Week 1:

Day 1 5 minutes warmup/45 minutes run/5 minutes cooldown
    Day 3 5 minutes warmup/30 minutes run/5 minutes cooldown
    Day 6 5 minutes warmup/48 minutes run/5 minutes cooldown
    Day 7 Stretching, strength training

The general premise is 3 days running, rest days regularly, and each week the 'long run' will get a little longer.

The free version of the app (I love free) does not allow me to see the full details of future weeks so I can't say exactly what week 3, 7, 9 etc. will be.
  • StaciMarie1974
    Options
    Ps-my 15 year old daughter is starting now also. Has done some running but she needs to learn endurance. Tends to go too fast, too soon and get spent. She is following the 21k also but is alternating running/walking as she needs to. The half we will do: allows walkers and has a 3.5 hour time limit. So she can start preparing now, and as long as she can handle the distance: does not really need to worry about the pace.

This will be her first half but she has done several 10ks thru a combination of running and walking. We (her, I and my husband) did the Peachtree Road Race last week. Which is a HUGE 10k in downtown Atlanta. Limited to 60,000 though that does not count volunteers and spectators. My husband about gave me a heart attack when he told her it was ok if she wanted to run ahead. I was sure we would never see her again lol. It worked out fine though!
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    It will depend on your starting fitness level & health. Just take it slow and easy to avoid injury. You can always walk parts of it and still finish!
  • mmphelps1970
    mmphelps1970 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    What an awesome way to greet your 50s! I would totally admire anyone who did that!
  • Motorsheen
    Motorsheen Posts: 20,492 Member
    Options

crush it; best of luck

and yes, you have time for the training.

.... just be thankful that you didn't mistakenly register for an Ironman
  • pondee629
    pondee629 Posts: 2,469 Member
    Options

BUT...

What are you more concerned with, the time you have to train, your age or running on your birthday? Last year after completing my first 5K "race" in 29:09, in May, and doing another in 28:28 (Memorial Day) I signed up for a Half Marathon in September. After my last 5K a member of a local running club sent me an offer to coach me, via e-mail and in person, for a Half Marathon. I spent the $150.00. Started the Half training around July 4 and ran the half marathon, September 25, in 2:17:10. I was 61 at that time. You have the time to train, you aren't nearly too old, and, what the hey, it won't take all day on your Birthday. Go for it.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    If you can already do 10km you have time to train (I actually prefer running HMs over 5K or 10K as the pacing is very different)

Other have already pointed you to the Hal Higdon plans, follow it and have fun. I ran my first race (a 5K) at 53 and haven't looked back!