Plateau... Help!!

Options
I have succesfully lost 20 pounds over about a three month period by changing my diet. I started Insanity about a week and a half ago and I can not get off this plateau! I am still eating healthy, I do my work outs every day except Sunday and I've even increased my water intake, yet I havent lost anything in two weeks! Please let me know how you got through your plateaus and continued to stay motivated. I'm starting to lose my fire, and I still really want to lose another 40-45lbs.

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,704 Member
    Options
    I have succesfully lost 20 pounds over about a three month period by changing my diet. I started Insanity about a week and a half ago and I can not get off this plateau! I am still eating healthy, I do my work outs every day except Sunday and I've even increased my water intake, yet I havent lost anything in two weeks! Please let me know how you got through your plateaus and continued to stay motivated. I'm starting to lose my fire, and I still really want to lose another 40-45lbs.
    Okay so first off it's not a plateau. It's a stall. Plateau would be 6-8 weeks of no weight loss or fluctuation at all.
    Second, you've started exercising. Your body is going to retain water and glycogen with the assumption that it's going to keep "working out". It's normal. Just keep doing what you're doing and be consistent and your body will adjust.
  • ljmeep
    ljmeep Posts: 29
    Options
    I've always been told that when that happens sometimes you need to switch up your excersize routine because your body is getting to used to the old routine.

Try switching it up a bit and see if that helps.

Keep it going! You can do this! :)
  • caristear
    caristear Posts: 30
    Options
    Have you measured yourself (waist, hips, thighs, arms)? You'll find that if you're not losing weight, you're probably losing inches especially if you just started that workout! Remember muscle weighs more than fat so I'm sure that you're building muscle. Don't weigh yourself for a couple of weeks and I'm sure you'll see a few pounds off when you weigh yourself again. Don't get discouraged!
  • andice224
    andice224 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    i'm in the same boat!! i've lost about 23 lbs and now i'm at a stand still and its really frustrating!! normally when i plateau i just stop cause i'm very impatient so waiting to see if that scale goes down atleast 1 lb is very annoying..lol!! all i can say is just keep doing what you are doing...i'm trying to do the same thing! ive always heard that once you've plateaued, one day your gonna get on the scale and it will have dropped so im just waiting for that day!! good luck and stay focused!! :)
  • angelacasey736
    angelacasey736 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    I am in the same exact situation. Yesterday marked 3 months for me and i have lost 33 lbs. I lost steadily every single week. Now I feel like it is stalling and i am not sure what to change to go back in the right direction. Oh - and i too have about 40 lbs to go. I know this doesnt help but i am curious to see the suggestions out there. Feel free to friend me and hopefully we can beat this together :-) Good luck!!
  • KyleGA
    KyleGA Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    Ninerbuff knows what he's talking about.

Fitness and healthy lifestyle is longterm thing. You've done GREAT thus far with AWESOME results...keep fighting and bringing it every day and I am positive you will continue to see results. Keep eating your healthy foods...and enough of them and doing your workouts with thru the roof intensity!

Cheers!
  • EmBlazes
    EmBlazes Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    As someone with a very erratic weight loss pattern I can tell you that 2 weeks not losing isn't anything to worry about. Concentrate on being healthy and getting fitter because it will really start to pay off if you are patient with yourself.

The reply about how exercise affects the body in the first few weeks is definitely valid as well so take that into account.
  • aliwitt82
    aliwitt82 Posts: 41
    Options
    I am in the same boat. For about 4 weeks I have been sitting at 27lbs lost. I do taebo and I tried to do the elliptical again this week and I get so bored. I am hoping that once my daughter goes back to school and I can get back into somewhat of a routine that will help. Good luck to all of you!!
  • deenice99
    deenice99 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I think you are actually doing well coz in reality you should gain a bit as muscle weighs more and when you exercise you gain muscle. Keep at it and evantually the pounds will start dropping. I have a bout 4 kilo to lose and since I joined MFP not only have I not lost weight I have not lost my fire either becoz I have seen a reduction in my measurements even though my weight has gone up. Its a bitter pill to swallow to be eating right and exercising everyday of the week for 45-60minutes and for the scales to be going up but like I mentioned I still get people complimenting me that I have lost weight.. Kepp at it
  • BeefyB
    BeefyB Posts: 3
    Options
    Change up your workout. Do something different!! I have hit them a few times in my 70lbs weight loss. Just stay on track and switch things up!! Good luck, and dont get frustrated!!
  • melizerd
    melizerd Posts: 870 Member
    Options
    Another thing is are you eating back your exercise calories? Make sure you are NETTING enough calories (1200 is the accepted minimum).
  • jstarr0612
    jstarr0612 Posts: 13
    Options
    Thanks for the advice everyone. I suppose I am just being impatient. I know that muscle weighs more than fat, I guess I just didn't think that I could build muscle after only a week and a half. I will continue to do what I have been doing because im in this for the long haul. I am changing my lifestyle to be happier and healthier. It's just discouraging to see results every week and then blah, nothing. Any way I appreciate everyone's feedback!! Thanks so much for responding :)
  • jstarr0612
    Options
    Another thing is are you eating back your exercise calories? Make sure you are NETTING enough calories (1200 is the accepted minimum).

I really dont think I am eating enough calories, but I never know what to eat! Im hardly ever hungry, and it seems when I do eat enough calories I gain. Also I dont know how much Im burning during the workouts.
  • autumnridge
    autumnridge Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I agree pretty much with everyone's comments. You are doing great, but if you are doing the same thing over and over, your body is pretty smart about making adjustments. You may have to change your exercise routine every other day and outsmart your body. Make sure you are drinking your fluids. If I go into a stall, I find it helps to have fish for a few dinners. You have to vary your diet also. I am pretty consistent with what I eat for breakfast and also find I have to do something different for a few days to get everything moving. Try to eat as few processed foods as possible as they may contain lots of sodium, sugars, etc. that you don't really need. Be proud of your accomplishments! We are all in the same boat here and want to see you succeed. Good luck!
  • ebank82
    ebank82 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I know it sounds counter intuitive but eat MORE! I was eating 1000-1500 calories a day when I hit a plateau. All i did was add one new exercise to my workout and upped the calories to 1500-2000 and that got me over the hump.
  • jstarr0612
    Options
    I dont think my body is getting used to the routine, but maybe the foods. Insanity switches it up all the time. You are all so helpful, I cant tell you how much i appreciate the support!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,704 Member
    Options
    Have you measured yourself (waist, hips, thighs, arms)? You'll find that if you're not losing weight, you're probably losing inches especially if you just started that workout! Remember muscle weighs more than fat so I'm sure that you're building muscle. Don't weigh yourself for a couple of weeks and I'm sure you'll see a few pounds off when you weigh yourself again. Don't get discouraged!
    Dispell a myth here. You don't build muscle on calorie deficit. You have to be in caloric surplus to do it. While it can happen with really obese or overweight people who have NEVER exercised before, or someone who has NEVER exercised before, the amount of muscle gained in minimal at best.