plus size- how much weight before you went down a size in clothes?

Options

Replies

• rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    It seems to be about 20 lbs per size for me, but sizes are irregular in different brands so it's hard to tell. I started at a tight 28 and about 270, lost weight from an illness without really noticing at the time, but those clothes were too big by the time I came home from the hospital at about 250. Probably wore a 24 or 26 but didn't buy clothes so no idea. Then started deliberately trying to lose and was a 22 / 20 at 230, now 192 in 14 / 16.
  • InkAndApples
    InkAndApples Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    I'm 30lbs down and have gone down a size in tops, bottoms I'm just about down a size - I've gone from my current size being slightly too tight to almost too loose. Although I admit it may have been a bit of denial before and I probably should have worn the larger size....

Can't wait to be officially in the smaller size. I'm hoping another 5-10lbs will do it.
  • lucypstacy
    lucypstacy Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    I think it was about 10lbs for me. I've lost 40 so far and have gone from a 26 to a 18 in pants, although the 18 is still a bit snug. With shirts, I've only gone down one size so far - from a 3x to a 2x.
  • MommaGem2017
    MommaGem2017 Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    I think it really depends on size of.... what? I go down in shirt sizes before I do in pants. Just the way my body sheds the weight.
  • jennybearlv
    jennybearlv Posts: 1,519 Member
    Options
    In my case I went from a 2x to a 4x the first week. I took my measurements and apparently I had been pushing my poor stretch pants to their limits. After that initial shock it took me about 20 pounds to get into a proper fitting 3x, another 20 for 2x/xxl, then things started getting weird. I lost another 20 pounds and could fit into xl shorts, but was still wearing xxl tops. My 2x clothes had become unflattering though. I've been stuck at this weight for 3 months, exercising but eating too much, and now the xl shirts fit me, but I'm back in xxl shorts.
  • reichardtjessica
    reichardtjessica Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I've lost about 25 and Haven't dropped a size yet. My clothes just fit wayyyyy better lol although, when i buy Targets plus size clothes I use to have to go up a size since their stuff was always cut small but now I can wear my normal size in their clothes lol not technically dropping a size but still.. :)
  • sarahthes
    sarahthes Posts: 3,252 Member
    Options
    I was 263 lbs to start at 5'4" and busting out of size 20 (probably was truly a 22/24 depending on cut) and 2x/3x tops (again depending on cut).

I've lost almost 67 lbs and am now in size 14 and L/XL. My waist is shrinking slower than the rest of me so whenever it whooshes is when I tend to drop sizes.
  • arrghmatey1
    arrghmatey1 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I've lost about 70 lbs.
    I dropped 10 pants sizes. (48 to 38)(48=46=44=42=40=38)
    The rate was pretty steady.
    So I guess it was every 7 to 10 lbs or so.

My pants have to fit so the last set I had to buy 5 pair but before that I had stored all the 5pair sets from 40 to 48.

My weight loss was steeper in the beginning but in mens clothing there is a huge dividing line between 40s and 38s so in 200 days of dieting most of the size reductions were in the upper sizes with the 40s holding out the longest.

I am in 38s about 10 to 12 days.

38 is where most mens stores end and 40 is where the big and tall stores start. At walmart you are charged 2 to 3 dollars more for 40 and up. Quite a difference when you hold a 38 up to a 40 it isn't just one pant size.

• mrseelmerfudd
    mrseelmerfudd Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    thanks folks! interesting to see how everyone is different! good motivation as well :)
  • MossiO
    MossiO Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I started at size 18/20 at 220, now down to high 190s and fitting in my 16s again at 5'8".
  • cheryldumais
    cheryldumais Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    About 20 pounds for me.
  • AmyOutOfControl
    AmyOutOfControl Posts: 1,425 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    Exercise can make a huge difference in how your clothes fit. I went from a women's 14/16 to a size 12 after I lost 30 pounds. However, I went down to a size 8 after only loosing another 10 pounds. Weight lifting and running made a huge difference!
  • OhMsDiva
    OhMsDiva Posts: 1,074 Member
    Options
    I have no idea, but in another group I belong to it was said that the clothes that we previously wore were probably too small or tight so maybe losing 10-20 lbs just makes the clothes fit comfortably.
    I started out wearing a 5x/6x (30-32) 2 years ago. I would say I probably lost a good 50-60 lbs before I started shopping. I was so excited to be a size 22/24 that I went crazy shopping. Not using common sense, I ended up with a lot of clothes that I have worn once that are too big or that I never got to wear. I learned the hard way. I shop at Ross now and I will not pay more than 10-15 dollars for a top.
    I can happily say that I can now wear a 1x or an XL but now I do not have to spend a lot of money on clothes like I did when I was a 5x.
  • amandallee
    amandallee Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I think it depends on the clothes... I have been wearing a size 16, lost 21 lbs, and now I can wear anything from an 18 to a 12. :-/ Sorry, I know that's not real helpful, but it sure was nice to see myself back in a 12 again lol
  • KimbersNewLife
    KimbersNewLife Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    For me it took 20lbs to go down a size.
  • sarahthes
    sarahthes Posts: 3,252 Member
    Options
    OhMsDiva wrote: »
    I have no idea, but in another group I belong to it was said that the clothes that we previously wore were probably too small or tight so maybe losing 10-20 lbs just makes the clothes fit comfortably.
    I started out wearing a 5x/6x (30-32) 2 years ago. I would say I probably lost a good 50-60 lbs before I started shopping. I was so excited to be a size 22/24 that I went crazy shopping. Not using common sense, I ended up with a lot of clothes that I have worn once that are too big or that I never got to wear. I learned the hard way. I shop at Ross now and I will not pay more than 10-15 dollars for a top.
    I can happily say that I can now wear a 1x or an XL but now I do not have to spend a lot of money on clothes like I did when I was a 5x.

I am so guilty of this. Except I tend to buy a size down (goal clothes!) and then realize once it fits that I really don't like it.
  • northdog
    northdog Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I was in plus sizes until about 190ish lbs. I was wearing a 22W/24W pant at 245 and a straight 18 at 190 lbs.
  • Queenofthezoo
    Queenofthezoo Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    SW was 250 and 5ft 7in. I have lost 41 pounds. And today, for the first time, I put a tshirt on and it was too baggy. But I am still in the same pant/dress size. The baggy shirt today makes me think that I am on the verge of it starting to finally make a difference in clothing size. It has been frustrating to have watched the scale move but not the clothing size, I really expected that to happen by now. I just keep telling myself that the next 40 will start to exponentionally change my clothing size.