Low carb

I was wonder if anyone has tried the low carb diet? I'm planning on starting it next week after I get done reading up on it some more. It's not a medical reason why I'm doing it, I've heard it's better for you in the long run. Anyways, if anyone has I would like to know your story, how well it worked, how difficult it was, and if it improved anything about your life. It would be much appreciated if you shared.

Replies

• darkfairy26
    darkfairy26 Posts: 4 Member
    Does calorie counting and using low carb diet help with weight loss also?
  • darkfairy26
    Also is exercise required to lose the weight?
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member

Calories ALWAYS matter. Taking in fewer calories than our bodies use during the day is how weight loss happens. No matter the method is ALWAYS calories.

I've done low carb.....lost weight.....then regained the weight. Why? Because low carb was not going to be part of my maintenance plan. Your diet strategy....AND your maintenance strategy should have something in common. Keeping the weight off doesn't just "happen" it takes work.

Some people can reduce calories in by eliminating carbs, they can sometimes do this without counting calories. Losing weight is step 1.

Exercise is calories out....increasing this can give you some wiggle room. But exercise has many health benefits. Exercise because you want to be a healthy person.
  • RenfieldX
    RenfieldX Posts: 87 Member
    I started logging on MFP in September of last year. In April I switched to low carb to help moderate my Blood Glucose when I was diagnosed as T2 diabetic. I found no appreciable difference in the rate of weight loss between my previous moderate carb diet and the low carb diet. If you're thinking of of going low carb simply for weight loss, it's not necessary in my experience, the calorie deficit is what's important.

As for how low carb has improved my life, it's been fantastic for my BG levels. I'm on no meds for my diabetes, and my most recent A1C was 5.1%. I've also noticed a big improvement to some chronic arthritic pain that I had in a joint due to an old injury since starting keto. I also don't feel hungry between meals anymore.

• kyubeans
    kyubeans Posts: 135 Member
    If there's no medical reason for you to restrict carbs, why do it? Personally, I didn't want to make any changes to my lifestyle that I wouldn't find sustainable in the long run. I happen to do low carb because I have blood sugar issues, but that's a change I've committed to making for the rest of my life. If I didn't have those issues, I'd just focus on CICO, and getting those calories from nutrient-dense, fiber rich foods...
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member

Different people have different results. As I shared earlier, my weight loss improved drastically with a low carb diet... even at the same calorie level. Other people have had different experiences. In either case, I always would suggest counting calories, whether you restrict or not. Having that data is the only way you can know what did or did not work.
    Also is exercise required to lose the weight?

No, but if you decide to restrict calories, then you can eat more when you exercise.
  • darkfairy26
    kyucifer wrote: »
    If there's no medical reason for you to restrict carbs, why do it? Personally, I didn't want to make any changes to my lifestyle that I wouldn't find sustainable in the long run. I happen to do low carb because I have blood sugar issues, but that's a change I've committed to making for the rest of my life. If I didn't have those issues, I'd just focus on CICO, and getting those calories from nutrient-dense, fiber rich foods...

I'm doing it to maintain a healthier life style. When it comes to certain high carb foods I tend to over eat. Getting rid of high carb foods I believe would be better for me in the long run.
  • mnalsa83
    mnalsa83 Posts: 172 Member
    I started low carb in December all the way through March (20g a day). My oldest plays Softball so from April to the end of June, we are on the road and eating Fast Food 5-7 days a week, so it was tough to stick with it 100%. I am back to Low carb, trying to stay around 30g-45g a day. I lost 20lbs, which is great and am happy to maintain at this weight. I started it for several reasons... 1.) weightloss, 2.) to help with fatigue. In the beginning it's tough, but after a few weeks, my energy level definitely is up. 3.) joint pain. I am 34 and have arthritis already starting and the biggest issue with it, is my knees. So far I haven't noticed too much of a change there.
  • atjays
    atjays Posts: 798 Member
    I'm doing it to maintain a healthier life style. When it comes to certain high carb foods I tend to over eat. Getting rid of high carb foods I believe would be better for me in the long run.

The problem with the low carb diet is people maintaining that life style for the long term. For probably 90% this is unsustainable and when they inevitably go back to eating carbs, they find they can't maintain their weight loss and gain it all back. Healthy long term weight loss comes from learning how to eat things in moderation, not from making vast swooping changes and huge restrictions. Over eating is what is bad for you, not the carbs. With that said, yes you still need to count calories, that's the entire point of Myfitnesspal. And while exercise is never required to lose weight, the benefits to your body are substantial themselves and I think everyone would highly encourage it.