Hi!!

Options
:smile:
I'm another Newbie; my name is Mary, I have 3 kids I'm trying to keep up with. It's very hard for my to lose weight because I spend most of my day sitting at a desk and the rest of it taking care of the family. I need help figuring out a way to fit exercise into my day!
Thanks,

Replies

• grandmasusan
    Options
    Hi Mary,
    I totally understand the part about fitting in exercise! I work at a desk job and then between looking after my mother, spending time with my boyfriend and spending time with my girls and grandson, it is so hard. I always feel like I am taking away from someone to get in some exercise - my goal is just a 30 minutes of walking a day. On nice days I am going to bring my runners to work and get in 15 to 20 on my lunch break - right now I am walking with my daughter at night, which works pretty good - how old are you children?? could they go for walks with you?? Please add me as a friend if you would like and all the best in your weight loss journey!
  • Sherry1979
    Sherry1979 Posts: 457
    Options
    Welcome Mary! This is a great site. And remember on the exercise even if you can't fit it all in at once and can do it in smaller increments, you're still moving!
  • whispiri
    whispiri Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Hi Mary,

Welcome! I kind of have a similar problem. I started my lifestyle change a little over a month ago and squeezed in some exercise by walking during my coffee breaks at work.

I know some jobs don't permit it and technically, by letter of the law, I really should not be leaving the building during my coffee break but I explained to our new executive director that I wasn't just trying to loose weight but I was also trying to energize myself for the next part of the day. She couldn't deny me because she left the building every cofffee break for a smoke.

Now over five weeks later, I find I long for those walks because it refreshes me. I work in a basement as a lab tech and at least part of the day is more or less at a desk on an analyzer. We have no windows down there and only artificial light. So these walks are really appreciated. And it gets me away from the constant complaining from my co-workers about the 1000 reasons why they cannot try to exercise more and loose weight. On days like today, I really miss those walks.....it was raining most of the day. And fortunately a patient gave me the idea to take an umbrella. I might try it because I really depend on those walks.

The other thing I did was just start initially doing 4 to 5 minutes on my elliptical three to four times a day. The first one was right when I got up just to kick start my metabolism. Initially those 4 to 5 minutes were agony but in about six days I was able to jump up to ten minutes. Now I basically do 15 minutes in the morning when I get up. I still do my coffee break walks and although I am not always exercising in the evening, I do keep active between family engagements, housework and laundry. I am just starting to add resistant bands to an evening workout some nights.

Just wanted to give you one bit of encouragement......you may agonize in the very beginning with even the smallest amount of exercise added to your routine. It does get better quite fast. They say it takes 21 days to form a new habit.......I can honestly say at this point that I am dependent on my exercise now. I do notice it when I don't exercise as much. I think the first indication that it was making a difference was when I did the stairs at work (approximately 3.5 flights) without even puffing just two weeks after I started. That became my first milestone because I usually felt like I was dying when I did them up to that point.

I hope that helped a little. Maybe others out there have some better suggestions. This is what worked for me. Good Luck, I know what it is like when your busy with family.

Shannon
  • looneytunes32
    looneytunes32 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Hi Mary,
    I totally understand the part about fitting in exercise! I work at a desk job and then between looking after my mother, spending time with my boyfriend and spending time with my girls and grandson, it is so hard. I always feel like I am taking away from someone to get in some exercise - my goal is just a 30 minutes of walking a day. On nice days I am going to bring my runners to work and get in 15 to 20 on my lunch break - right now I am walking with my daughter at night, which works pretty good - how old are you children?? could they go for walks with you?? Please add me as a friend if you would like and all the best in your weight loss journey!

My children are 17, 14, and 5, so they could definitely walk with me. I was walking for a while - we have a super long driveway and I would walk up and down that for 15 to 30 minutes, and they would walk with me or the 5 year old would ride her bike, but then it got so hot it was hard to make myself get out there. (excuses, excuses...)

We're going on a trip tomorrow so I'll be offline already, but I'm looking forward to it - we'll be outside being active the whole time.
    thanks!
  • looneytunes32
    looneytunes32 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Hi Mary,

Welcome! I kind of have a similar problem. I started my lifestyle change a little over a month ago and squeezed in some exercise by walking during my coffee breaks at work.

I know some jobs don't permit it and technically, by letter of the law, I really should not be leaving the building during my coffee break but I explained to our new executive director that I wasn't just trying to loose weight but I was also trying to energize myself for the next part of the day. She couldn't deny me because she left the building every cofffee break for a smoke.

Now over five weeks later, I find I long for those walks because it refreshes me. I work in a basement as a lab tech and at least part of the day is more or less at a desk on an analyzer. We have no windows down there and only artificial light. So these walks are really appreciated. And it gets me away from the constant complaining from my co-workers about the 1000 reasons why they cannot try to exercise more and loose weight. On days like today, I really miss those walks.....it was raining most of the day. And fortunately a patient gave me the idea to take an umbrella. I might try it because I really depend on those walks.

The other thing I did was just start initially doing 4 to 5 minutes on my elliptical three to four times a day. The first one was right when I got up just to kick start my metabolism. Initially those 4 to 5 minutes were agony but in about six days I was able to jump up to ten minutes. Now I basically do 15 minutes in the morning when I get up. I still do my coffee break walks and although I am not always exercising in the evening, I do keep active between family engagements, housework and laundry. I am just starting to add resistant bands to an evening workout some nights.

Just wanted to give you one bit of encouragement......you may agonize in the very beginning with even the smallest amount of exercise added to your routine. It does get better quite fast. They say it takes 21 days to form a new habit.......I can honestly say at this point that I am dependent on my exercise now. I do notice it when I don't exercise as much. I think the first indication that it was making a difference was when I did the stairs at work (approximately 3.5 flights) without even puffing just two weeks after I started. That became my first milestone because I usually felt like I was dying when I did them up to that point.

I hope that helped a little. Maybe others out there have some better suggestions. This is what worked for me. Good Luck, I know what it is like when your busy with family.

Shannon

Thanks Shannon for all the tips and encouragement!
    I actually have a few people at work that would walk with me, we just need to all be motivated and have time to walk at the same time. When I get back from my vacation we'll have to work on that.
  • Chrystelen
    Options
    I am 41 also... in Oregon. And I was having problems with exersize. I had lost weight before just by eating differently but got flabby skin because I did not build any muscle. This time I am trying to build muscle at the same time.
    I spent 15.00 on a Jillian Michaels video called 30 Day Shred. She was one of the trainers on the biggest loser.
    I do the video when I get home and if we have my boyfriends kids... they do it with me. It is fun!!! and only 20 minutes but it is cardio and muscle building at the same time. She is amazing. There are three levels of workout and I am still on level one... but it still kicks my butt. It is very low impact but really works the body. she uses little hand weights which are cheap. The more muscle you have the more fat you burn while you are sitting at work. LOL
    I love it for just 20 minutes it is great. I can not always leave the house and do not have a treadmill or anything at home, so the video is great.
    Without a video you could also just dance in place, alternating doing jumping jacks and pretend jumping rope, etc... while you are watching TV. It is aerobic also.

Add me as a friend if you like. It is cool we are the same age. Where are you from???

Chryste