If I only did 2 sets of bench press every day for a year, lol

Options
If I did 2 sets of light weights on the bench press say 10 reps each set... and I did that every day for a year, would anything change? Would I look different or get any stronger? Sorry if this is a dumb question but I am a little perplexed by this notion.

Replies

• atjays
    atjays Posts: 798 Member
    Options
    Most likely some toning of those muscle groups but you wouldn't get any stronger or have bigger muscles. What part of that are you perplexed about?
  • MsHarryWinston
    MsHarryWinston Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    Are you just using the same light weight, same sets, same reps for a year? Because that's not going to do much for you...
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    well, if you factor in the fact that what wasn't 'light' last week might feel light this week . . .

basically it depends on whether you keep raising the bar [har har] to follow your body's adaptation. but i'm just guessing. and it does assume you'll be defining 'light' by what feels light to you, not just some fixed weight that you never vary.

eta: personally i think if i benched every day regardless of weight, my anterior shoulder tendons would probably blow up just from the repetitive movement factor. i'd rather add a smidge more challenge to the muscles themselves, and do it every alternate day if i were to do it at all.
  • newdawn1974
    newdawn1974 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    not dumb at all, I had the same question myself. I thought the body was like a bank account, every dollar you save counts. Then I realized that the body is lazy and adapt to the stimulus, so if you give it a little stress, it will adapt to be able to cope with this amount of stress. So you will get enough chest muscles to cope with that, no more no less. Now it depends what you define as light. If you increase the load gradually, this could be a different question. Hope this helps.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    You'll get a little stronger at first, and then plateau forever.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    I dont think much will change. your strength would IMO stay the same once you got to a certain level. it would be like lifting the little 2 lb pink weights over and over. if you didnt increase reps or weight then you cant increase strength.The more you do something the more efficient your body gets at doing it. any exercise you do gets easier and easier so I dont think it would change your body either.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    If the weights you started lifting were beyond your current musculature's ability, you would get stronger until your muscles had the ability to lift that weight, and there you would stay in perpetuity. They wouldn't continue to get bigger or stronger.

Think about it - if they did just keep getting bigger and stronger with just the same level of stimulus every day, wouldn't we all be musclebound hulks from the waist down by the time we're 30, just from walking around?
  • Muscleflex79
    Muscleflex79 Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    atjays wrote: »
    Most likely some toning of those muscle groups but you wouldn't get any stronger or have bigger muscles. What part of that are you perplexed about?

what exactly do you mean by "toning" of those muscles?? (as opposed to building muscle mass or strength) ??
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    You would do better with 20 pushups daily. At least then you'd be improving your core/stabilizer strength.

Answer is no. you wouldn't see any improvement in strength or appearance.