Do you need to lift weights to get toned?

Options
I'm 5"4 and about 110 pounds and I've made it my summer goal to get more toned but I don't have access to gym (at least til October) I've just been running around my garden and doing squats, hip bridges and crunches in my room. And I've been trying to do some press ups to help with my stick arms. I don't have any weights so I've been holding four cans of cider while i do my squats!
I suppose my question is will any of this actually help?

Replies

• JessM822
    JessM822 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Sounds pretty solid for what you have access to. Just remember it takes time.
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,484 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    Body weight exercises are great.
    Here is a routine you can follow thst you could do at home. Have a look at the whole site it is very informative.
    https://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/beginner-body-weight-workout-burn-fat-build-muscle/

HasFit has simple routines that you could do with your cans of cider. Here is one, but there are lots more on YouTube- find something that suits you.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=U0bhE67HuDY

I like both of them because they are quick, simple, and effective. I just have them written down now so I can use them when travelling.

Cheers, h.
  • czmiles926
    czmiles926 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Thanks, I'll give that a try
  • MelissaPhippsFeagins
    MelissaPhippsFeagins Posts: 8,063 Member
    Options
    Bodyweight is better than nothing, but for me personally, nothing works better than barbells. I am currently doing just machine weights because my 11 year old is restricted to using those at my gym. I am not going backwards, but I am not losing fat the way I was.
  • AliNouveau
    AliNouveau Posts: 36,287 Member
    Options
    Search youtube for body weight workouts. There's tons of them. Holding cans and bottles will fill in for weights. Maybe invest on some dumbbells you don't need lots I have 3 sets
  • curvesfordays8907
    curvesfordays8907 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I love working with kettlebells, lots of retailers now sell them in various weighs from 2 lb to 80+ lbs and decently priced as well.
  • mmphelps1970
    mmphelps1970 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    You need to build muscle but you don't have to lift. You can do functional bodyweight exercises to build muscle--it's super effective and works many muscle groups at once. Check out Mark Lauren's books on Amazon: "You Are Your Own Gym" and "Body By You".
  • Okiludy
    Okiludy Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    The sworkit app kicked my *kitten*. It's bodyweight workouts that you can easily do in most places. The one I did was set up in a HIIT fashion that simply smashed me. It would definitely help with muscle definition.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    You need to build muscle but you don't have to lift. You can do functional bodyweight exercises to build muscle--it's super effective and works many muscle groups at once. Check out Mark Lauren's books on Amazon: "You Are Your Own Gym" and "Body By You".

This, bodyweight can be extremely effective.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Sounds like a good start.
    A set of adjustable dumbbells is a cost and space effective way to add using weights to your routine if you wanted to. Ditto exercise bands.
    Or you could simply keep swapping to heavier household objects, cat/dog/vacuum cleaner/bucket of water....
    Your muscles don't really care where the weight/resistance is coming from.

But you can also achieve the progression you need with bodyweight exercises.
    For example if you are struggling with press ups using the stairs can help - hands on step 4 until that's easier, then steps 3/2/1/floor.