Elbow pain when lifting

dalerst
dalerst Posts: 174 Member
I've recently started getting some pains in my elbows when I'm lifting, mainly when I'm doing barbell or dumbbell curls? I'm thinking the start of tennis elbow? Has anyone got any adviçe to minimise this ?

Not been to the doctors yet as it's only been happening for the last couple of weeks.

Replies

• Alisonswim46
    Alisonswim46 Posts: 208 Member
    Take a few days of and then reassess.
  • Luna3386
    Luna3386 Posts: 888 Member
    I notice this as well. Using the ez curl bar seems to help some. Also, lowering weight as helped. But I'm interested in other replies.
  • dalerst
    dalerst Posts: 174 Member
    Joenali wrote: »
    Take a few days of and then reassess.

I've just started a 5x5 programme so will be giving the isolated lifts a rest for a few weeks so hopefully this will help

Just interested if this is something other have suffered from when lifting.

• emiliastef1923
    emiliastef1923 Posts: 5 Member
    I'm no stranger to joint pains myself
    Elbow pains could have many causes. It could be that you over exercise it, meaning doing the same continuos workout on you arms everyday. You need to let you arms take a break.
    It could also be because when you do curls, your weight is too heavy, it better taking smaller weight and doing more reps.
    It's could possibly be that when you curl, you lock your arms which isn't a good thing, locking is just straightening completely, that could have an effect because it pushes the elbow in inverse direction. Always keep arms and legs a little bit bent
    Finally, it could be that you've strained the muscle or the tissue. If it hurts badly, I recommend seeing a doctor. If not, rest up a few days and ice the area, see if it helps
  • MRGov
    MRGov Posts: 1 Member
    From experience, and as mentioned above, going too heavy is probably the issue as it might be messing with your form.

Too much flexion or extension in the wrist puts some of the weight lifted in to your forearms and strains the muscles and tendons attaching to your elbow. Drop the weight a little and focus on keeping your wrists straight and in line with your elbow throughout the movement. Straps for support might help. I also wear compression sleeves to increase circulation and keep the joint warm. Dropping in some mobility work and wrist stretches will help too.

Some time away from isolation movements is probably a good idea but the row in the 5x5 can aggravate the joint so focus on form there. I would also agree with, if it hurts, stop the lift and see a doctor or physio.
  • beautifulwarrior18
    beautifulwarrior18 Posts: 914 Member
    Roll your triceps and forearms out on a lacrosse ball. Its caused by muscle tightness.