Keto/Low Carb

Options
Hey Guys I'm new to this App and I just start the Keto Lifestyle anyone have any tips. I would love to learn more.

Replies

• EmIsabel90
    EmIsabel90 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I'm new and want to start Keto as well. I haven't quite started as of yet as I have been trying to do my research and set up some type of fun and sustainable meal plan.
  • daacree
    daacree Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    eimayhew wrote: »
    I'm new and want to start Keto as well. I haven't quite started as of yet as I have been trying to do my research and set up some type of fun and sustainable meal plan.

Me too! I have been reaseaching for a few weeks and I think I am ready to start the Keto woe. Have you started yet? Might be encouraging to have a "buddy".
  • watervampire
    watervampire Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I am new to MFP too! Previously I lost 30 lbs on weight watchers but put it all back on. I have been wanting to get back to WW but I was avoiding it for some reason. So I started the "21 day sugar detox" just to shake things up or kickstart a change. Am on day 5 and not feeling deprived at all! Am currently thinking I would like to try keto beyond the 21 days.
  • Sunna_W
    Sunna_W Posts: 744 Member
    Options
    I have been more or less doing it since about January and met my weight goal in late April / early May. I really like Paleo Leap and Paleo Tribe for the recipes and information.

Here are some of the things I learned:
    1. Don't neglect your salt. Get some quality or Tibetan pink salt.
    2. Don't neglect your potassium. Bulk supplements has potassium citrate. (There's directions on Amazon as to how much how often)
    3. Don't neglect your magnesium. Natural calm regular flavor seems to be the most palatable.
    4. Make a liter of water with a 1/4 teasp unrefined sea salt, 1/2 teasp potassium citrate, 2 teasp Natural calm, with half a lemon and drink this though out the day. No carb flu.
    5. Take it a day at a time and a meal at a time.
    6. Take a day off once in a while.
    7. Pay close attention to your gut / bowel flora since you won't have the carbs to move things along and you have to create a different biosphere hospitable to both your new way of eating and bowel motility. After months of trying a lot of different things, here are some things that worked for me (I put these in my morning protein shake): 1 teasp. Psyllium seed husk powder + 1 TBSP Stabilized Rice Bran Powder + 2 TBSP liquid acidophilus (as in billions and billions) + (most important) 1 TBSP Resistant Starch. Do not neglect the Resistant Starch in your desire to be carb free. The Resistant Starch feeds the billions and billions of microbes that are populating your gut / bowel flora. Without them your poo can resemble the La Brea Tar Pit and things won't move.

• chriscros63
    chriscros63 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Learn, learn, learn. Watch/listen to YouTube videos. Some of my favorites are all of Butter Bob Briggs. Start with his "Butter makes your pants fall off!" Also listen to as much of Dr. Jason Fung as you can. He explains the science behind it all. Keto Christina from Ireland is great and she talks about many emotional issues in losing weight and getting healthy on a Ketogenic diet. Fat is not bad for you. Willpower and not exercising are not the problem. Insulin resistance is the problem. It's not your fault. The standard American diet that we have been sold of low fat high carbs will not work. If you are doing keto right you will not be hungry. It will be the first time in your life this has happened and you will finally understand how people who don't have metabolism and food issues feel each day. I listen to them in the car on my hands free device while I am shagging the kids all over. Keeps me up to speed on how to explain/ debunk what people think about fat. People think you're going to die when you tell them you have bacon everyday and get 80% of your calories daily from fat. It is amazing to be able to go for hours without even thinking about when you are going to eat next.
  • SuperCarLori
    SuperCarLori Posts: 1,248 Member
    Options
    Join the Low Carber Daily Forum. Tons of veterans and advice.

I do believe with keeping sodium to minimum of 3000, your body doesn't dump potassium, potassium is dangerous to supplement.

Go check out the group, it's amazing.
  • ReesyIsLivingOnKeto
    ReesyIsLivingOnKeto Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Hi there. Add me as a friend.