Zucchini recipe

Options
sassyshook
sassyshook Posts: 213 Member
There is probably a lot of people who have done this but just in case somebody has not I thought I would post it.

2 zucchinis sliced in bite size chunks
can of rotel tomatoes
half an onion sliced in chunks
pour water over top until it reaches the top of veggies

Bring to a boil
simmer until veggies are tender
serve

This recipe would probably be good over a bed of rice but I haven't tried it...YET. :)
I am not sure of the nutritional facts but I dont figure they can be too bad. I also add corn to the mixture sometimes. It is really good!!

Replies

• Edithrenee
    Edithrenee Posts: 546 Member
    Options
    yummy that is what i need some recipes. I was hoping there was a place on message board where we can get meal and recipe ideas. Thanks
  • bstilland
    bstilland Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Thank you! We're growing zucchini's in our "mini' garden this year and this sounds like a great way to use them.
  • tgumeebee
    tgumeebee Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Yummy.....I bet it would be delicious served over rice.
  • ladydove5
    ladydove5 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the recipe!:happy: I love to cook and collect and try new recipes all the time!! We grow zucchini in our garden every year so this will give me a new way of cooking zucchini:bigsmile:
  • seriousaboutlife
    seriousaboutlife Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    Sounds great! Here's another one. Put a little olive oil into a frying pan. Fry some slices of zucchini until you reach desired tenderness. Top with a little crumbled feta cheese. YUM!
  • Sabresgal63
    Sabresgal63 Posts: 641 Member
    Options
    I do a similar version: Zucchini, yellow squash - diced in chunks, fresh mushrooms if you like, Canned stewed tomatoes, cut up with their juice, onion powder, garlic powder (all to your own taste), no water......I just put it on low and stir once in a while. When its done, I spinkle my own serving with the powdered parmesan cheese and pepper........this is soooo good and healthy.:bigsmile:
  • jam0525
    jam0525 Posts: 1,681 Member
    Options
    This sounds like a recipe my family has made for generations except we shred the zucchini. You can also add bread crumbs and/or cooked ground beef. sometimes when we heat up the left overs we add shredded mozzarella and broil it to heat it.

While I know my additives add calories they also make it a meal instead of a side dish. Being an old Italian who grew up where everyone had a large garden, this is just one of the things we'd do with all those zucchinis we'd get.

Enjoy!

Jeannie
  • Victorian131
    Victorian131 Posts: 130
    Options
    Sounds yummy, will have to try it. I normally oven roast mine with peppers, tomatoes and onions (and whatever other veg we have about) with bbq/jerk powder and a splash of lemon juice.
    It sounds like your recipe would go great with rice, or maybe even rice noodles to soak up the lovely juices :D
  • sassyshook
    Options
    I also add a little cajun seasoning to mine to make it spicy. My husband(hes technicallly from Cajun country) loves spicy and I have grown to like spicy as well. I will definately have to try the other suggestions as well. Sounds great!!
  • sassyshook
    Options
    I do a similar version: Zucchini, yellow squash - diced in chunks, fresh mushrooms if you like, Canned stewed tomatoes, cut up with their juice, onion powder, garlic powder (all to your own taste), no water......I just put it on low and stir once in a while. When its done, I spinkle my own serving with the powdered parmesan cheese and pepper........this is soooo good and healthy.:bigsmile:

The only reason I add the water is because the Rotel tomatoes don't usually have a lot of juice, but if I use the stewed tomatoes they always come with lots of juice to use and I won't add the water.

My husband puts this recipe in a tortilla. I haven't tried it, but it is on the list.
  • sammer421
    sammer421 Posts: 3
    Options
    I have three GIGANTIC zucchinis from my aunts garden. Definitely will try this out.
  • sassyshook
    Options
    We had some GIGANTIC zucchinis in our garden too. They were coming from everywhere
  • sassyshook
    Options
    Trying to figure something out
  • sassyshook
    Options
    Still trying!!
  • sassyshook
    Options
    jibberish