When trying to lose body fat can you eat as much fruit as you want?

Options
Grnhouse
Grnhouse Posts: 254 Member
edited July 2017 in Food and Nutrition
When trying to lose body fat can you eat as much fresh fruit as you want?

Replies

• laurenebargar
    laurenebargar Posts: 3,081 Member
    Options
    Am I the only one who doesnt know what feather fruit is?
  • CMB1979
    CMB1979 Posts: 588 Member
    Options

No idea either. Google was clueless as well. But the answer to any "Can I eat as much (*****) as I want?" question is always "No, unless it's water or another zero calorie 'food'."
  • laurenebargar
    edited July 2017
    Options
    CMB1979 wrote: »

No idea either. Google was clueless as well. But the answer to any "Can I eat as much (*****) as I want?" question is always "No, unless it's water or another zero calorie 'food'."

I got some thanksgiving ideas where you make your cup look like a turkey with feathers and google eyes and then fill it with fruit.

OP if thats what your talking about then YES (sarcasm) no you cant eat as much fruit as you want fruit has calories, you could get fat if all you ate was fruit
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    Options

I got some thanksgiving ideas where you make your cup look like a turkey with feathers and google eyes and then fill it with fruit.

OP if thats what your talking about then YES (sarcasm) no you cant eat as much fruit as you want fruit has calories, you could get fat if all you ate was fruit

And even if you were in a deficit, and all you ate was fruit, you'd likely lose a lot of muscle in the process as you'd be protein deficient
  • laurenebargar
    Options

And even if you were in a deficit, and all you ate was fruit, you'd likely lose a lot of muscle in the process as you'd be protein deficient

You are very correct!
  • jennybearlv
    jennybearlv Posts: 1,519 Member
    Options
    You can eat as much fruit as will fit in your calorie goal.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    Fruit won't stop you losing weight if you're in a calorie deficit. However, if you use up too much of your calorie allowance on fruit, you may miss out on other macros and nutrients.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    If as much fruit as you want fits into your calorie goal, then yes, you can eat as much fruit as you want and lose body fat. You can't eat whatever in whatever amount and expect to lose weight.

If you want to lose body fat, you have to eat less than you burn. That you have to do, there is no trying.
  • rmgnow
    rmgnow Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    Eating too much fruit can not only put you over you deficit, you may intake too much sugar.

I personally believe that this is way way better than processed sugar, but people say they're the same
  • kwtilbury
    kwtilbury Posts: 1,234 Member
    Options
    It depends. If you're significantly overweight, a caloric deficit is really the most important thing. If you're already thin, but trying to lose some visceral fat to achieve a cut/shredded look, some low carb days will help get you there.
  • Tried30UserNames
    Tried30UserNames Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    How much do you want? I don't want any so I can eat as much as I want. Most fruit is quite high in calories and the high sugar content effects my health negatively, but I try to eat a little since I think it has some beneficial nutrients.
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Options
    Grnhouse wrote: »
    When trying to lose body fat can you eat as much fresh fruit as you want?

As long as you're eating at a deficit overall. So if as much as you want puts you in a surplus, no.
  • zipitzippy
    zipitzippy Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Go for the veggies instead of fruit - less sugar, less calories (depending on what you have) and more nutrients.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    what is it with people telling others to avoid sugar? the only way you are going to lose weight and fat is in a deficit and if you go over sugar one day? you will still lose if you are in a deficit.if you want to eat fruit eat fruit the sugar in it is not going to cause you issues unless you have to watch carbs due to a health issue.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    If as much fruit as you want fits into your calorie goal, then yes, you can eat as much fruit as you want and lose body fat. You can't eat whatever in whatever amount and expect to lose weight.

If you want to lose body fat, you have to eat less than you burn. That you have to do, there is no trying.

Exactly this.

If you are focused on losing fat and preserving muscle and don't have that much to lose, it's also important to get enough protein. If you can eat as much fruit as you want, stay within your calorie goal, and get adequate protein, great (I find that not too hard, personally). But you can have too much of anything, and if the fruit in such amounts that it is causing you to go over or displacing something else helpful, that might be something to think about.

The sugar fear is really over the top when people start warning others away from fruit, though.
  • anubis609
    anubis609 Posts: 3,966 Member
    Options
    Eat enough protein and whatever helps you adhere to your diet that results in negative energy balance. Unless you're a diabetic, then that's the only reason you might want to track or limit excessive carb intake.
  • Grnhouse
    Grnhouse Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    kwtilbury wrote: »
    It depends. If you're significantly overweight, a caloric deficit is really the most important thing. If you're already thin, but trying to lose some visceral fat to achieve a cut/shredded look, some low carb days will help get you there.

Great. Can you suggest items to eat on low carb days? I've loss as much as I need to. I've gone down two dress sizes and now I'm looking for the cut you mentioned.thanks.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    Grnhouse wrote: »
    kwtilbury wrote: »

Great. Can you suggest items to eat on low carb days? I've loss as much as I need to. I've gone down two dress sizes and now I'm looking for the cut you mentioned.thanks.

if you already lost the weight you wanted and needed then you dont need to cut. you need to find a progressive lifting program and eat at maintenance(recomp) to get a more defined look and build some muscle.cutting carbs is not going to make you lose fat any faster. you cant spot reduce so its either lose more weight(which I dont recommend if you are already at a healthy weight) or do the recomp I mentioned above)