Food on the go- best fast food?

Options
Hey guys! So i know we all steer away from fast food as much as possible but im being real here and saying i dont always avoid it. I work as an EMT and sometimes its hard to bring food in the ambulance for a whole 16 hour shift. My question is, does anyone have an opinion on which fast food i could get that would be the least damaging to my diet if i cant manage to prep food or something for ny long shifts. I know panera re-did their menu to add healthier options. I was thinking chipotle with just a chicken and rice bowl even. What do you guys do in a rush and you have to grab some kind of fast food?

Replies

• AmandaDanceMore
    AmandaDanceMore Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    Chipotle can fool you. Look hard at the calories before filling up a bowl.

Taco Bell can be done fairly low-ish cal. That's actually about the only fast food I eat (im vegetarian, so most places don't offer much- can't even eat McDonalds French fries!). If you look at your website or even do a quick google and you'll get some great ideas.
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    I tend toward Burger King chicken nuggets in a pinch (convenient location to where this happens for me, and somewhat easily tailored for desired calorie content - various sizes available and known packets of sauce). or a burger and toss half the bun (or all of it, or none, depending on your calories and macros). (maybe not the world's healthiest food, but at least they supply some protein along with the fat and starch).
  • ritzvin
    Options
    Nutrition info is available on their website for every major fast food chain... Just peruse those that are common in your area ahead of time, so you know what will fit.
  • asianolikeyou
    asianolikeyou Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    The biggest problem with fast food isn't so much the calories as the sodium levels. Chipotle has notoriously high sodium even in a simple romaine salad with brown rice and beans. If you're smart about your other meals and compensate for that, you could even go to a place like Wendy's for lunch and order a plain baked potato with a small cup of chili *or* a small, basic hamburger.
  • kwtilbury
    kwtilbury Posts: 1,234 Member
    Options
    Restaurants are required to post calorie info now so it's easier to make good decisions.

I tend to go with places that are most macro friendly for me - Chipotle, Panda Express, Panera...
  • brandyjones1991
    brandyjones1991 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Taco Bell is awesome! You can get a steak power bowl (quite a bit of food) for less than 500 calories or a Mexi-Melt for something like 250. I also like Chick-fil-A (sub fries for fruit and avoid Chick-fil-A sauce, 150 calories for a little cup of sauce :'( ).
  • ritzvin
    Options
    Most dollar menu items are a reasonable number of calories.
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    Your best bet is to study the menus well in advance so that you know what will fit into your daily calories/macros.

Don't worry about the sodium unless you're sodium restricted.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    Read this...

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10534218/fast-food-for-the-month/p1

And the associated diary. Lots of good suggestions, and good results, demonstrating that it is possible to eat fast food, remain focused on nutrition, and see the desired results on the scale and in the gym.
  • MommaGem2017
    MommaGem2017 Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    I like Jimmy John's sandwiches as they have lots of veggie options, and also make items without the bun.
  • rmgnow
    rmgnow Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    Ok. This thread is in my wheel house.

Chipotle is great
    Brown rice, grilled chicken, pinto beans
    And vegetables. - great

Subway. All the veggies and oven roasted chicken breast . Mustard - fantastic

Jack in the box - side salad and a sourdough Jack - my fave.

I never drink soda. Fries blows everything out. It can be easy
  • fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    I have a bit of luck at Chick Fil A, Panda Express (God bless beef and broccoli), Noodles and Subway.
  • sosteach
    sosteach Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    Research online the fast food places you tend to go to. They all have calories listed now. That way you have a go to meal all ready picked out no matter where you go. Other tips...be careful as some salads are calorie bombs. Order sandwiches without mayo and cheese if you want to save calories.
  • dw920
    dw920 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    It's the same as anywhere else you might eat... you'll keep your calories lower by leaning more towards whole foods and lean protein. Think grilled meats, veggies, and fruit. If I have to eat fast food, I try to stick with grilled chicken salads with only a little of the dressing, wraps, baked potatoes, simple small burgers without a bunch of junk on it, etc.
  • ritzvin
    Options
    Not fast food, but related to original problem: Clif bars and peanut butter singles have been a godsend during particularly hectic time periods. Half a Clif bar + half a PB single (260 cal) or half/third of a Clif bar crumbled into greek yogurt single (should be fine for a day if there is at least A/C) have been a goto for me.
  • jennybearlv
    jennybearlv Posts: 1,519 Member
    Options
    Get out your phone and check the restaurant's website. Most chains have their calories online. Grilled chicken sandwiches are usually not too bad. Salads are really hit and miss, you gotta look them up. Value menu or kids meal items are usually smaller and fewer calories with all the same tasty fried goodness. You can often sub fruit for fries in a kids meal too. If you go somewhere where you can see the food prepared make sure it is being measured out in scoops or it looks like it has been weighed out and preportioned. If things are being eyeballed and measured by handfuls the calorie counts are completely wrong.
  • cbeutler
    cbeutler Posts: 667 Member
    Options
    Subway 6" ham and turkey cheese veggies no sauce
  • BarBellatrixLestrange
    Options
    I usually go for a grilled chicken sandwich from Wendy's, a grilled chicken sandwich and side salad at Chick-fil-A, or a half sandwich half salad combo at Panera. Check the nutritional info on the websites before you order.
  • LynnJ9
    LynnJ9 Posts: 414 Member
    Options
    Jack in the Box fajita pita, about 300 calories, has grilled chicken, veggies like lettuce tomatoes, onions. Filling and yummy
  • ShaeSweetness
    ShaeSweetness Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Thank you for all the great responses everyone!!