What are your hidden / non-body-shape successes?

Options
Heather_MXP
Heather_MXP Posts: 48 Member
edited June 2017 in Success Stories
I've struggled with something called "metatarsalgia" my entire life, even when I was a fit and strong farm kid. I have to be careful with my feet so I don't get huge blisters on the balls of my feet and it's just plain painful to walk long distances. After about 1/2 a mile my feet hurt quite a bit and I'm dying to stop. Over the last couple weeks I've been feeling frustrated and depressed that walking my dog hasn't become easier for me. I adopted her in September and thought the more I walked the easier it would get. But that hasn't seemed to be the case. Walking 2 or 3 miles is just as painful and miserable now as it was in the beginning.

But last night I realized something. I'm walking faster. In the beginning my dog would keep the leash taut as she tried to trot / pick up the pace. Then she's give up and trudge along side me for a bit before trying to trot again. But I realized that isn't happening anymore. She's trotting, with my leash slack, the entire time we're walking. (Well, except for when she wants to stop and sniff something. haha.) I use a fitness tracker for my walks and I looked back over the stats. In the beginning I was doing 27 to 30 minutes/mile. Now I'm doing 20 to 22 minutes/mile. Sure, that's still pretty slow. But it is an improvement. My feet still hurt. But it's holding me back less and less. Even though I'm not seeing that in distance... yet. I hope as I lose weight (thus less pressure on my feet) I will feel up to walking 5+ miles. But even if keep struggling through pain to do the same 2 or 3 miles for the foreseeable future, I am making progress. So the frustration is gone.

Anyone else finding successes where they didn't think they were happening?

Replies

• Heather_MXP
    Heather_MXP Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    5 years ago I was borderline metabolic syndrome...

abdominal obesity...check
    hypertension...check
    elevated fasting blood glucose...check...but pre-diabetic, not diabetic
    elevated Triglycerides...check...through the roof
    Low HDL and high LDL...check

Everything has been corrected except I still have to take meds for my hypertension which at this point, my doctor and I have determined is a hereditary issue.

Good for you! I ignored it until I was a full blown diabetic. But I'm working hard and hoping to put the 'beetus into remission. I'm like you, though. I'll always have to be on the bp meds. Stupid heredity.
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options
    i can just slightly, just sometimes, make some space happen between my left toes. not always. and i can't control it exactly - i just stare at the foot and sweat and endure random twitches and jerks from every other part of my body and then sometimes it happens in among all of that.

but this is progress, believe it or not. meanwhile, with my right foot i can turn doorknobs. i know i broke that big toe 35 years ago, and i know i dropped a sharp-edged shampoo bottle right onto something important at the top of the same foot in 2015, but this is so extreme now that i'm working on it, i'm starting to wonder if i should have someone check out my dna.
  • naomillion
    naomillion Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    That's great! It's so important to recognise and celebrate those NS victories!

When I started my journey I did the 30 Days Shred (mostly beginners modifications) and remembered feeling sore all over my body for some days. Now (1.5 years later) I do a Level 2 followed by a Level 3 or 1 workout (intermediate level with weights) and rarely feel sore the next day! Never thought I would become so strong! It feels amazing!
  • piperdown44
    piperdown44 Posts: 958 Member
    Options
    Haven't had a gout episode in 3 1/2 years. Haven't thrown my back out either since losing weight.
  • alkight84
    alkight84 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I am not. Taking my anxiety medication as much!!
  • jennybearlv
    jennybearlv Posts: 1,519 Member
    Options
    I used to get plantar fasciitis so bad I would have to switch to pool walking. I get a rare flare up now that I can just massage out.

Today I walked six miles up to the high point of the pass and feel great. MFP even said it was a brisk walk, that's new. I tried running that same route over the winter when it was nice and cool, but gave up and went another way because it was too steep.

Oh, and the other side of the mountain was on fire. My asthma is now so well controlled I didn't even notice until I started to smell smoke. I turned around at the top and the whole valley was hazy. That would have sent we wheezing to my rescue inhaler the moment I opened the front door a year ago.
  • phaliamfp
    phaliamfp Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I have not had heartburn since I started this journey. 29 days so far.
  • mbarilli06
    mbarilli06 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Just randomly finding that you have bones in parts of your body you didn't know were there for years!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!