Type 2 diabetic

Options
Anybody out there "cured their diabetes type 2 by getting down to their ideal weight?

Replies

• jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    No cure. You may achieve remission.

My diabetes went in to immediate remission after bariatric surgery (a documented side effect for many) and significant weight loss.

I am not at my ideal weight but the weight loss and metabolic changes were enough.

I still tend to eat to my training but I don't get the sleepiness I used to get if my sugars were too high. I have more flexibility.
  • nadrahhassan5580
    nadrahhassan5580 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I'm working on it. I do know that even a 20lb loss will drop my morning sugar. I work constantly so I have a hard time fitting in exercise. I started the 30 minute lunch walk cause I find that once I go home after a very long day I don't want to get up to exercise.
  • cheryldumais
    cheryldumais Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    Yup! I'm off all meds and my sugars are great. I've lost 84 pounds. That doesn't mean I won't have to watch it later in life but I'm 60 now.
  • Jimb376mfp
    Jimb376mfp Posts: 6,232 Member
    Options
    A couple months ago my Dr took me off all my T2D Rx meds. Dr said I will always be a T2D BUT it is now "controlled" by my diet/exercise,

SW 376# (2013 age 65)
    CW 207 (5'8")
    GW 186

When I get down to 196# my BMI will go from Obese to Overweight.

I am on WWers program and do aqua aerobics, swim 1/2 mile in laps and try to get 10K steps a day on my Fitbit.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    Anybody out there "cured their diabetes type 2 by getting down to their ideal weight?

I was off the meds and had normal A1C numbers 9 months after starting to lose (I lost only about 1/3 of the weight I wanted to by that time). Still working towards my goal weight but my numbers are still in the normal range.

You are never "cured". Some call it remission and some call it "controlled by diet and exercise". Whatever terms you choose, you will still be diabetic meaning that your pancreas is not working like it should and you will always need to be careful.
  • RenfieldX
    RenfieldX Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Not cured, but managing it well with weight loss and low carb diet. I'm on no meds for the 'beetus, and just got taken off the 'preventative' ones for BP and cholesterol that my doctor put me on when I was diagnosed. A1C 5%, down from 6.9 3 months ago.