avoiding white flour and sugar--4th day

Options
four days of avoiding white flour and sugar; did this awhile back with a "Brightline eating program" and lost over 20 lbs. in a couple of months.

As a phase II diabetic, notice how blood sugars are returning to more normal levels. Not obsessing over weight.

Replies

• RedheadedPrincess14
    RedheadedPrincess14 Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    Cutting all refined sugars also helped me lose over 20 pounds. My diary is open!!
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I didn't eat all that much white flour/added sugar when fat and don't now, but for weight loss I made other changes.

I don't think it makes sense to fixate on one or two particular ingredients, although of course white flour and sugar are major ingredients in some high cal dessert type items that should be kept to a minimum.

IMO, equating:

a donut (okay in moderation, but probably should be quite limited when losing weight)
    cake (same)
    pasta made with a serving size of pasta, a sauce made with olive oil, lots of fresh in-season vegetables, plus some shrimp
    steel cut oats with raspberries and a bit of sugar

just because all contain white flour and/or sugar makes no sense. Surely understanding nutrition would involve some degree of overall dosage and content.

I don't like sugar in my oats (don't have a huge sweet tooth) and I mostly don't care about bread and found it useful to keep sweet baked goods to a minimum when losing (I still had homemade pie at holidays and my friend's homemade coffee cake at our book club, though). However, I found the pasta with lots of veg, olive oil, and lean meat option to be a fast and easy dinner that was helpful to include. I often used whole wheat pasta, but for me there's no meaningful difference in satiety and the calories/nutrition isn't much different either.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,996 Member
    Options
    mskatz1966 wrote: »
    four days of avoiding white flour and sugar; did this awhile back with a "Brightline eating program" and lost over 20 lbs. in a couple of months.

As a phase II diabetic, notice how blood sugars are returning to more normal levels. Not obsessing over weight.

Great! Glad you found something that works for you :)

I have also had periods of time when it was easier to create strict boundaries around foods.
  • dragon_girl26
    dragon_girl26 Posts: 2,187 Member
    Options
    I've lost 106 lb enjoying white flour and sugar within reason.

As did I, only I lost 80 lbs.
    But, if you've found something that helps you stay in a calorie deficit, good for you OP!
  • mskatz1966
    mskatz1966 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the great feedback; as a food addict and phase ii diabetic, who had gained over 12 lbs. over a 6 month period and watch my A1c (measures average blood sugar over 3 month period) go from 6 (which is good) to 8.6 which is bad, I figured going "cold turkey" for awhile on white flour and refined sugar along with logging foods would help and it did--blood pressure moderated; lost 3.7 lbs in 5 days and feel heathier.

One day at a time, as they say in 12 step programs. Onwards.