Eating has been the hardest thing for me to conquer!

Options
I have no problem when it comes to working out, but I absolutely love food! Trying to eat healthy all the time is the hardest thing for me and it is always what hurts my weight loss. Sodas and breads are the worst. I cheated my first day back and I keep beating myself up for it. Any suggestions?

Replies

• aprilzabeth
    aprilzabeth Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I love bread. I eat bread, bake bread and other treats. Just make sure it fits into your daily calories like the girl ahead of me said. If you're still hungry then I suggest Ezekiel bread because it's really filling. At least for me. Sometimes I don't eat it because I'll feel too full and I want to be sure I eat enough. They have raisin bread that's so yummy.

You really should cut out sodas though. If you stop having so much sugar then you don't crave it anymore eventually and if you go back it tastes way too sugary and bad. Maybe you can find a different drink to love. Try milkshakes with banana and almond milk and cocoa powder .. so yummy and filling.

And if you want cupcakes or something make an individual one. There are recipies online for small batches and individual cakes and cookies.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Increasingly, I think it's easier if you can find a way to make what you are doing a positive (something you actively do) vs. a negative (I won't do that).

One way to make it a positive is focus on meeting your calories and if you want something, figure out how to fit it in (or put it off until you can).

Others find other ways to make it a positive, like eating according to a certain style or -- and I this worked well for me -- focusing on eating a healthy diet in a positive way, making it about getting in enough vegetables, protein, healthy fats, so on, in a fun and tasty way.

One of the tricks for me (not everyone, but for me this helped) was not eating between meals, because I feel more satisfied on less when I eat less often and I mindlessly eat between meals often when I am not limiting eating times. I made this into a positive by thinking to myself "oh, I don't eat between meals, I save my calories for delicious foods at meals" and then thinking about what delicious thing I'd have in a few hours at dinner (or whatever) when I wanted to eat.

You can fit in sodas and bread if you want to, the question is just fitting it in, not letting it derail you. For sodas (which I don't drink), one way that might help is to think "I don't want to drink calories, I want to save them for foods I love that I eat" and have something specific in mind you can afford to include because of those calories. OR, if you really love soda (for me it's an easy thing to not waste calories on), then think of saving them for a special treat and really savor and appreciate the soda while drinking it, don't just sip on it while focused on something else (one of the reasons calories we drink are often not that satisfying comparatively).
  • MarissaLaRea
    MarissaLaRea Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much You guys! That was very helpful. I am doing my best. I didn't buy anything "bad" from the grocery store, so there's one milestone.
  • OliveGirl128
    OliveGirl128 Posts: 801 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    Thanks so much You guys! That was very helpful. I am doing my best. I didn't buy anything "bad" from the grocery store, so there's one milestone.

Stop labeling food 'bad', that creates a poor relationship with food. Eat the foods you like, just learn how to fit them into your calorie goals. As you move forward you'll start to find ways to save on calories, for example switching from regular soda to diet can save hundreds of calories with minimal fuss; there's all sorts of low calorie bread options and wraps etc etc. Some things you'll realize just aren't worth the calories for the taste, and you'll begin to find low calorie foods that you enjoy, that you can start incorporating into your diet.
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    Try not to think of foods (or yourself, for that matter) in terms of good and bad. Think of how what you eat fits into how you wish to be. Does a particular food help or get in your way.

Right now, for example, I'm not baking bread. It's not that bread is bad -- especially my homemade bread. But right now I'm trying to get used to eating a reduced amount. Bread would not help me with that. Not only is it calorie-dense but I would want to double its calorie load with butter and once I started I would have trouble stopping. I haven't given up bread, I'm just avoiding it at the moment because it would make my ability to stay within my calorie goal harder. I am, however, enjoying good smoked cheese. I can cut off one ounce at a time, eat it slowly, and it satisfies my hunger for a couple hours. It helps my effort to stay within my calorie allowance without wanting to chew the wall.

Fruit is generally thought to be a "good" food but it's not so good for me. Its lovely sweet taste just gives me the munchies. I'm still eating fruit because it is an excellent source of nutritious micro-nutrients that I need. Eating fruit requires more effort for me to avoid its clarion call to eat more. I eat it mindfully.

When you go to the grocery store, think not "I can't buy bad food." Think instead, I will buy foods that help me meet my goals. If a daily cupcake helps you meet your goals (whereas it would torture me), buy the cupcakes. I'll be over in the cheese section avoiding the baked goods.
  • DebLaBounty
    DebLaBounty Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    I eat bread almost every day, and it fits into my MFP calorie budget. I'd probably feel a little deprived if I didn't. But I gave up soda cold turkey, substituting lots of water, tea, iced coffee lattes made with almond milk, Sparkling Ice (no calories!) and the occasional Coke Zero. I just decided if I'm going to ingest calories, I want them to be calories I can chew.