Olive Oil Replacement

Options
Christina2189
Christina2189 Posts: 24 Member
Hello!

I currently am using 1 tbsp for cooking certain things and I hate that it's 120 calories. 1/2 goes to potatoes and 1/2 goes to asparagus. I cut up red potatoes in cubes, put some olive oil on, seasoning and wrap in aluminum foil and put it on the grill. Same for the asparagus. (Aluminum packet cooking is my favorite thing ever!) My entire meal is still 430 calories which is still really good for where I need to be at (1.5 red potatoes, 4 oz boneless and skinless tilapia, 1 tbsp olive oil, and 4 ounces asparagus). But I'm just curious if anyone has found any good Olive Oil replacements that are lower in calories or just overall healthier?

Thanks!

Replies

• BecciColeman
    BecciColeman Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I often use frylight for cooking. It's great for using in pans to make things not stick & roasting vegetables. x
  • wimdroid
    wimdroid Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Theoretically you don't need the oil, but it does add to the flavour. If I make papillotes (alufoil pouches) I usually use a bit of white wine, onion , lemon/lime juice and some zeste +herbs for fish or stock for poultry. Just adjust the seasoning if you dont use oil or downsize (drizzle a bit with thumb on the bottle).
    Also remember olive oil, although highly caloric, is not bad for you. My advice would be to just use less
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Trying to make oil less calorific turns it in to something else, and I don't think you will be fully pleased with the result. I think with careful application you could reduce the oil in half. Try shaking the oil and veggies in a baggie for better distribution.
  • _pi3_
    _pi3_ Posts: 2,311 Member
    Options
    Most oils are 120 cals
  • Christina2189
    Options
    Most oils are 120 cals

Right, which is why I posted wondering if anyone found anything to use in place of that...
  • Christina2189
    Options
    wimdroid wrote: »
    Theoretically you don't need the oil, but it does add to the flavour. If I make papillotes (alufoil pouches) I usually use a bit of white wine, onion , lemon/lime juice and some zeste +herbs for fish or stock for poultry. Just adjust the seasoning if you dont use oil or downsize (drizzle a bit with thumb on the bottle).
    Also remember olive oil, although highly caloric, is not bad for you. My advice would be to just use less

Good tip, thanks!
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,971 Member
    Options
    I use olive oil for foil packs too...but I can cook two potatoes in less than 1/2 Teaspoon. Just toss them in a bowl with it, just a little will stick. Half teaspoon is way better than a tablespoon, and it allows the spices to stick.
  • curvesfordays8907
    curvesfordays8907 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    marm1962 wrote: »
    How about olive oil spray?

I second this! Love the olive oil spray.
  • dfwesq
    dfwesq Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    marm1962 wrote: »
    How about olive oil spray?

I second this! Love the olive oil spray.
    I use olive oil spray. It coats food and surfaces evenly so you can use less.

Some people don't care for the propellant in aerosol cans. If that's a problem, you can get a spray that's propellant-free (just pressurized with air). Or a spray pump bottle you fill yourself. If you opt for the refillable bottle, be sure to get one intended for food use.
  • asianolikeyou
    asianolikeyou Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    If you like coconut, you might want to try the coconut oil cooking spray. Olive oil is a healthy fat, so you don't really need to cut it out of your diet, just use it in moderation.
  • strongerbytheday
    strongerbytheday Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    I have a 'Misto' bottle that I fill myself and pump and spray olive oil. It's a way to evenly distribute little oil without propellants. Just be sure to decompress the pressure after use so as to not clog the inside of the sprayer.
  • Toytoy13
    Toytoy13 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Most oils are 120 cals

Right, which is why I posted wondering if anyone found anything to use in place of that...

U can use the olive oil Pam spray
  • Toytoy13
    Toytoy13 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    U can use the olive oil Pam spray
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    You can you Pam olive oil spray with your potatoes. Instead of spooning 1/2 tblsp , you simply spray for half a second or so. The amount you spray can be as little as 1 gram, which is only 9 calories, still olive oil, and does all the work of your previous 1/2 tblsp.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Hello!

I currently am using 1 tbsp for cooking certain things and I hate that it's 120 calories. 1/2 goes to potatoes and 1/2 goes to asparagus. I cut up red potatoes in cubes, put some olive oil on, seasoning and wrap in aluminum foil and put it on the grill. Same for the asparagus. (Aluminum packet cooking is my favorite thing ever!) My entire meal is still 430 calories which is still really good for where I need to be at (1.5 red potatoes, 4 oz boneless and skinless tilapia, 1 tbsp olive oil, and 4 ounces asparagus). But I'm just curious if anyone has found any good Olive Oil replacements that are lower in calories or just overall healthier?

Thanks!

You could use less oil. Any oil you use is going to be 120 calories per Tbsp...I just learned to cook with way less oil and realized I used to use an excessive amount.
  • Rocbola
    Rocbola Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    A little bit of vegetable broth in the packet helps keep it from sticking, plus helps keep the food moist. I started losing weight a lot faster when i quit oil entirely; it's amazing how a little bit of oil is so incredibly calorie dense!
  • Joanna2012B
    Joanna2012B Posts: 1,448 Member
    Options
    I exercise for olive oil

Aha...me too!!!