Leg pain

Options
Okay I am morbidly obese, almost 300 pounds. I just started keeping a fitness diary and the past couple of weeks I have been walking 20-30 minutes a day. I also just bought new shoes. I have had knee issues in the past. But now every night I have intense pain in my left leg right around my knee on down. I am only walking a little bit so I don't get why the pain is so bad. I also work in an office sitting at a desk all day. Please advise. Thanks

Replies

• CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    sounds likea shin splint,could be due to the weight,the walking (or a combo) or it could be the shoes.means you have to rest until it gets better or try different shoes, shin splints hurt like hell.
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    Options
    Intense pain should be discussed with a doctor.
    Is it a calf cramp?
  • caco_ethes
    caco_ethes Posts: 11,962 Member
    Options
    You could look into getting orthopedic inserts. If you over or under pronate even a little it can cause tremendous pain (shin splints) when you suddenly ramp up your activity level.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    It could be the shoes. What did you get?
    At 300 lbs it took me awhile to be able to walk 30 min without pain. How long have you been working up to this?
  • Nmork21
    Nmork21 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I like that someone said see your doctor. Sound's like shin splints, but if it gets to the point you can't put wait on it or begins to swell up, definitely consult a physician. There is a difference between soreness (shin splints) and injury.
  • tanette13
    tanette13 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I am not sure what it is, but I will look for a doctor. And I did just jump into walking that much every day. I guess I should have started slower.
  • tanette13
    tanette13 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone
  • Aemely
    Aemely Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    Good quality shoes & padded socks (Thorlos rock!) are very helpful as well. Make sure you wash Thorlos inside out with liquid softener to keep the pad "springy." Starting slower sounds like a good idea as well.

Good luck, Tanette! Keep it up! I'm trying to get back on track this summer... B)
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    tanette13 wrote: »
    I am not sure what it is, but I will look for a doctor. And I did just jump into walking that much every day. I guess I should have started slower.

Back off the distance and speed and rebuild gradually. Walking is good for you and you want to be able to do it as many years as possible.
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,521 Member
    Options
    @tanette13: don't give up! You are onto something good.

I suggest hydrotherapy, meaning water aerobics. Get your weight off your legs while you get in shape.

You got this!