Calories for marathon training

Hi
So I am a fat 21 year old girl. I weigh 70 kg at 5'4 and my goal weight is 50kg (but I can be philosophical about that figure). My weight skyrocketed a few months ago as a result of alcohol abuse and binge eating. Now I'm in therapy for the things that happened, I'm desperate to get the weight off so I can run this marathon (a long term goal). I'm pretty clear on the rough nutritional plan with carbs etc, but I'm not sure about what calories. I've seen a dietitian for EDNOS in the past and she recommended 1500 calories or so to reset hormones and prevent the previous binge-purge behaviour. But I gained on that. So I'm really looking for some advice for the right calories to lose weight and maintain my marathon training regime. I plan to be training 6 days most weeks with the odd 4 day, and doing Bikram yoga too.

Replies

• rmgnow
    rmgnow Posts: 375 Member
    Personally, I don't think you need to watch any calories if you're marathon training 6 days a week.
    You can burn 2600 calories in a marathon
    And I know with a lot of competitive training reginmens you basically run mini marathons when training.
    Mix that in with yoga. I say. Eat anything you want while marathon training
  • sofchak
    sofchak Posts: 862 Member
    I personally found the process of losing weight and marathon training at the same time to be difficult to balance - enough food to sustain the long runs, but not so much food that you don't lose weight. The training was stressful on its own. The dieting was stressful on its own. Put them together... and there's a reason why a few sites say that you don't run a marathon for weight loss:
    http://nymag.com/scienceofus/2015/10/on-the-mysteries-of-marathon-weight-gain.html
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-2737629/Running-marathon-lose-weight-Dont-bother-More-half-people-completing-GAIN-pounds.html
    https://www.trainingpeaks.com/blog/marathon-training-weight-loss/

Just my two cents. Won't say it can't be done - just that it's not an easy journey. Best of luck! Great to have goals!
  • allyphoe
    allyphoe Posts: 618 Member
    21 year old girl. I weigh 70 kg at 5'4
    I've seen a dietitian for EDNOS in the past and she recommended 1500 calories or so to reset hormones and prevent the previous binge-purge behaviour. But I gained on that.

You might have seen a temporary scale increase due to glycogen replenishment and increased food "in your system," but there is no way you gained fat by eating 1500 calories a day over an extended period.

I'm twice your age and a half inch shorter than you, work a desk job, and maintenance calories for me at your weight was 2,100 calories a day plus intentional exercise.

You need to be getting eating and exercise advice from your treatment team, not from random strangers on the internet.
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,547 Member
    edited July 2017
    You're 21.

Eating disorders, alcohol abuse, mental anguish, UNRESOLVED, will hold you back from achieving the best life that you can.

You are already feeling the effects of not yet resolving these issues.

The 40-49 yo group of finishers of the London Marathon averaged a one and a half minute FASTER finishing time than the average of 20-29 yo finishers....
  • LisaEatSleepRun
    LisaEatSleepRun Posts: 159 Member
    Running a marathon is a great long term goal. However, can't you just plan to exercise moderately and lose weight slowly and keep the marathon goal for when your life is calmer & you've had lots of long-term therapy for your mental health issues? I run for mental health mostly, and sometimes manage half-marathon distance. However, I am not marathon training, just running because it makes me feel good & I can eat more food! Maybe be a little less ambitious and see where it takes you?
    Also, try using a TDEE calculator to work out your calorie needs, sailrabbit is my personal favourite.

http://www.sailrabbit.com/bmr/
    http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/
    https://www.iifym.com/tdee-calculator/
  • carla_maree
    carla_maree Posts: 6 Member
    I have completed 3 full marathons and over 20 half marathons.I think it is great to have a goal!I started running post divorce it became my most valuable form of therapy,firstly,because it gave me some time to think; secondly I am sure sweat evicts bad energy (unsure however of technical aspects of this ;) ) and thirdly,as said by Dean Karnazes "Crossing a marathon finish line for the first time is a life-changing moment. In doing it, you prove something to yourself that can never be taken away. You walk away with hard, experiential evidence that you are strong, resilient and gutsy" During weak moments,when I doubt myself,the knowledge I was strong enough to run a marathon (mentally strong,I mean) gives me some comfort.And it also have me a greater appreciation for my body even when I didn't get under 70kgs (this was my goal for ages and I hovered around 70.something!)

There was a reply that said wait until life is calmer,but I think there is such reward in running.I am excited for you :)

With regard to losing weight though,I was hungry so didn't restrict calories.I was alternating 50km/80kms running a week,and honestly,would wake up so hungry I couldn't get my porridge fast enough!So I am afraid I have no good advice there.

Enjoy the journey,go well!
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    rmgnow wrote: »
    Personally, I don't think you need to watch any calories if you're marathon training 6 days a week.
    And I know with a lot of competitive training reginmens you basically run mini marathons when training.

really bad advice, unless you want to gain weight whilst training.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Hi
    So I am a fat 21 year old girl. I weigh 70 kg at 5'4 and my goal weight is 50kg (but I can be philosophical about that figure). My weight skyrocketed a few months ago as a result of alcohol abuse and binge eating. Now I'm in therapy for the things that happened, I'm desperate to get the weight off so I can run this marathon (a long term goal). I'm pretty clear on the rough nutritional plan with carbs etc, but I'm not sure about what calories. I've seen a dietitian for EDNOS in the past and she recommended 1500 calories or so to reset hormones and prevent the previous binge-purge behaviour. But I gained on that. So I'm really looking for some advice for the right calories to lose weight and maintain my marathon training regime. I plan to be training 6 days most weeks with the odd 4 day, and doing Bikram yoga too.

what is your current mileage at the moment? Gross 1500 is not going to be enough i wouldn't have thought.

I don't know many people who can lose weight once they get into the higher mileage for marathon training, so you may want to focus on losing for the first half of your plan, and then maintaining the second half. when is your race?

i run up to half marathon distance and the runger is real!!!!
  • craigo3154
    craigo3154 Posts: 2,572 Member
    Hi

@patrickisntfunny. First. Are you working with a running club or a trainer. I HIGHLY recommend this as poor technique or shoes when running can lead to injury (which is even more likely if carrying extra weight). A trainer can also set a schedule to keep to to get you fit enough to run a marathon (as that's your stated ultimate goal).

Second. Track what you eat on MFP and use a running tracking app (like MapMyRun) to keep track of your training. You will be able to see where the calories are really coming from and how much you are likely to be burning from your training. Revise weekly calories input/output with weight to determine what are the right targets for you (not blindly follow recommendations).

Third. See a doctor and get blood work done to ensure there are no other problems (like hyperthyroidism) that may be part of your weight issues.

Keep up the yoga. It will help with strength, flexability and state of mind.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member

Marathon training doesn't mean you're running marathon length each day. Depending on the training plan, you will have days when you aren't running at all and other days where you are running under ten miles. Many people find they actually *gain* while training for a marathon, so counting calories can be a smart strategy for some people.

I'm currently training for a marathon. My longest run this week will be 14 miles, my lowest just 4.
  • MommaGem2017
    MommaGem2017 Posts: 405 Member

really bad advice, unless you want to gain weight whilst training.

So true. I gained weight while marathon training and it was not all muscle. Believe me, I could eat up the plates of pasta after a training run :smiley: