Some intermittent fasting buddies

Options
Found I like doing intermittent fasting although I am new to it and haven't been perfect love how it makes me feel. Anyone else doing intermittent fasting 16:8 or 24 hour fasts? Any tips or success stories :)

Replies

• MsWendyDarling
    MsWendyDarling Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I'm about to try it out starting tomorrow! Feel free to add me! ☺
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    I've tried a few meal setups - nothing too extreme though - and they all work for me, but I really really like eating three meals per day, and most days they are eaten in a schedule that qualifies as 16:8 or 18:6. I've been eating like that for 9 months or so, my meal pattern just evolved into it as my appetite normalized. So my goal isn't intermittent fasting, but to eat well, and to improve my relationship with food, so I don't fret about not being "perfect". I feel so much more relaxed about eating now, I don't fear getting hungry, I know I am going to be fed - I enjoy waiting for a delicious, planned meal.
  • Grimmerick
    Grimmerick Posts: 3,344 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    for about 2 years now I do not eat until 12 or 1pm. I have always been a night eater and was reading up on intermittent fasting. So I thought I'd give it a shot. I actually love eating this way. I get to save the bulk of my calories for the end of the day, when I want them anyway. I also like the edge of hunger I feel before 1pm, I just feel more focused. I usually stop eating around 10pm to 12 or 1pm the next day so, everyday I end up fasting for 12-14 hours. The idea is to do most of the fasting while you are asleep. I also take my vitamins that have to be taken on an empty stomach during my fasting time. I don't do this on weekends but sometimes find myself not eating until noon anyway because I am just not hungry. My tips would be to give yourself time to adjust, at first your tummy will grumble, but eventually it will not last long, and you might enjoy the feeling of an empty stomach. Plus it makes the meals later that much tastier! I would not fast for 24 hours at all but if you do I would work up to that, 24 hours is a long time.....at least for me to go without food. Good Luck.........one last thing, you can still eat too many calories even in that small window so you still have to keep up with what you are eating if you are trying to lose weight, ultimately it's calories in/calories out.
  • inertiastrength
    inertiastrength Posts: 2,343 Member
    Options
    i skip breakfast
  • Vanguard1
    Vanguard1 Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    I practice 20:4 or OMAD, been at it for a couple of months. Once your body adapts it is second nature.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    Generally 16:8 with an occasional 24 hr fast. I like the pattern & simplicity, but I don't use it as a weight loss tool. But I have played around with 5:2 for those purposes.
  • notreallychris
    notreallychris Posts: 501 Member
    Options
    Hit me up y'all! I do 16:8. Feel free to add me. Like having like-minded friends.
  • Egger29
    Egger29 Posts: 14,741 Member
    Options
    I'm trying it out at the moment and on the morning of Day 2. Having my Green Tea this morning, but no solid food until Lunch. Will see how I and it feels.
  • slowedown
    slowedown Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I have been doing 16:8 for about 6 weeks. It is pretty simple. After I started I realized this was my eating pattern naturally when I was younger (high school). It worked for me then and it is working now. I am doing well with it. I would love to chat and share ideas.
  • Vanguard1
    edited July 2017
    Options
    There is an IF group here: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/49-intermittent-fasting

But it is not very active.
  • lossingmyweight
    lossingmyweight Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    i last it about 3 days with out eating,next day eat 2 small meals,did thos for about 3 week i lost about 25,i find this really help full for my self.What do u guys think ?
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    A few weeks ago to decided to try skipping breakfast and no snacks. Two reasons, one to save up calories for lunch and more importantly dinner, and also to save money because I found I was spending a lot of money on snack food which Is unnecessary. I like it a lot! I love being able to eat a big lunch and dinner. And it's also kind of freeing to not be so focused on food all the time. Before I was eating a meal or snack every few hours and now I don't think about it or open mfp other than for lunch and dinner! It's working out nicely for me. Also still losing weight.
  • 1Workout1Meal1DayAtATime
    Options
    IF'er here
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    i last it about 3 days with out eating,next day eat 2 small meals,did thos for about 3 week i lost about 25,i find this really help full for my self.What do u guys think ?

I think it sounds horrible.
  • Vanguard1
    Options
    IF'er here

After reading your username, you should check out the OMAD group, very active group.
  • meganbutchardphotography
    Options
    I have been reading up on this and am on Day 4 of IF right now. Feel free to add me (anyone here) and we can chat more about meals and such. I'm use to eating breakfast at 9am so pushing myself a few more hours will take some time. Right now i'm stetching it by 30mins a day until I get to 16:8 or 18:6.
  • sak20011
    sak20011 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Does having coffee with cream or milk break the fast? I usually have one cup with half n half and a tsp of agave around 6 or 7 am and dont eat anything more until lunch anywhere from 12 to 2 pm. I generally eat two meals a day, sometime with a small snack (I"ll eat breakfast if I'm ravenous of course)--but I can't really deal without that coffee and I dont like it black.
  • soccer121998
    soccer121998 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    sak20011 wrote: »
    Does having coffee with cream or milk break the fast? I usually have one cup with half n half and a tsp of agave around 6 or 7 am and dont eat anything more until lunch anywhere from 12 to 2 pm. I generally eat two meals a day, sometime with a small snack (I"ll eat breakfast if I'm ravenous of course)--but I can't really deal without that coffee and I dont like it black.

Having milk in your coffee will not break your fast, but the agave will, as it is a simple sugar. The point of IF is to not spike your insulin levels during a fast, and the sugar in the agave is a no no. As for half and half or cream, try and stick to the under 15 rule, which means as long as a food/additive is under 15 cals, it is fine for during a fast.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    i'm doing 16:8 and this is the start of week 3 for me. feel free to add me . this feels more natural to me.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    sak20011 wrote: »

from what i understand if there's calories in it then it breaks the fast