Minimizing water retention/ fluctuation

Options
I have a drop-dead weigh in 10 days from today. As in "For x height, you must weigh y pounds or less by z date or you may not participate in this activity."

I have made weight...barely... after losing 60+ pounds, but I easily can go back up over goal if I "retain water" ( I can easily fluctuate 5 pounds this way).

Any tips or ideas for minimizing the fluctuation or retention? Limit sodium and carb intake I've got. Any others?

How do I keep myself from packing on 5 pounds of water the day before weigh in? Especially since I will be flying that day!

HALP!

Replies

• jamcdonel
    jamcdonel Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    And before the discussion starts. Yes, I know it isn't healthy. Yes, I know it isn't fair. This is an externally imposed weight limit based on outdated and debunked information ( 70 year old USDA height/weight chart). I didn't choose it. It was chosen for me.
  • AliNouveau
    AliNouveau Posts: 36,287 Member
    Options
    I read once foods like spinach or bananas help combat water retention. I assumed it's potassium

Or I've a thought.....check what you're eating and don't eat sodium laden foods. I know I'm kinda brilliant. Drink lots of water
  • inertiastrength
    inertiastrength Posts: 2,343 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    slash your carbs 48-72hrs prior to weigh in you'll drop 4 insurance lbs of water by depleting glycogen... but your carriage will turn back into a pumpkin as soon as you replenish glycogen by eating a regular amount again.
  • cheryldumais
    cheryldumais Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    I take a potassium supplement when I feel I am retaining water.
  • jamcdonel
    jamcdonel Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys! I will check out potassium.

I had even considered voluntarily putting myself through pre-colonoscopy prep to "clear out the pipes", but that doesn't match very well with flying. :o

Any others?
  • AliNouveau
    Options
    jamcdonel wrote: »

I had even considered voluntarily putting myself through pre-colonoscopy prep to "clear out the pipes", but that doesn't match very well with flying. :o

Any others?

are you a masochist?????? Yikes
    I once had salty pizza and was a balloon the next day...a diet of spinach the next day helped immensely. and I was told a potassium supplement would help but I didn't want to go hunt those down
  • inertiastrength
    Options
    AliNouveau wrote: »

Any others?

I once had salty pizza and was a balloon the next day...a diet of spinach the next day helped immensely. and I was told a potassium supplement would help but I didn't want to go hunt those down

Potassium supps usually come in 95mg/pill A 4oz portion of salmon on top of a fresh spinach salad has over 1000mg. Have 300g cantaloupe for dessert and add another 500mg. Supplements are a waste of money IMO.
  • AliNouveau
    Options
    AliNouveau wrote: »

Any others?

Potassium supps usually come in 95mg/pill A 4oz portion of salmon on top of a fresh spinach salad has over 1000mg. Have 300g cantaloupe for dessert and add another 500mg. Supplements are a waste of money IMO.

I prefer to do things naturally than take supplements. :) although that much cantaloupe would make my mouth hurt. Stupid food sensitivities. Spinach and salmon sounds yummy though
  • inertiastrength
    Options
    @AliNouveau I love Cantaloupe! I cut up 2-300g put some salt on it and enjoy haha
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    dandelion greens or dandelion tea works really well. it's gross but i let the tea cool to room temp and chug it. the greens are better if you like bitter veggies. they can be taken raw but i find i have to eat far too many to get the same results from 2 tea.

i used to have fairly bad water retention at the end the day (thanks to being overweight, black, hypertensive and thanks obama lol) but i've been drinking 2-3 cups of the tea throughout the day and no more issues. i saw results almost immediately. be prepared to pee a lot specially at the beginning
  • sd333
    sd333 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Avoid getting sunburned, this can make you retain water until the burn completely fades
  • TanJacked
    TanJacked Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Have you ever looked into water loading followed by dehydration? I've used it for 24hr power lifting weigh ins many times. I would make weight one morning and be 12 to 15 lbs heavier the next day. Isn't the best for you, but depending on how important making this weight is it's something to think about.
  • stephanne13
    stephanne13 Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    sd333 wrote: »
    Avoid getting sunburned, this can make you retain water until the burn completely fades

Hmmm... that's interesting.
  • Seffell
    Seffell Posts: 2,222 Member
    Options
    Go very low carb for 2-3 days prior.