Even if I manage to lose some weight I'll never have the body I want

Options
Even when I was 10lbs heavier, although looking back I was more confident and happy with my physical self, I feel like I'll never have the body I want. I will always have larger thighs and short calves and not look good in shorts. How do I keep myself motivated to keep working at this, when I see such little progress and feel like although better I'll never look the way I want.

Replies

• livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    Change your perception of the body you "want".

You don't always have to have large thighs though... Keep consistent and you'll eventually slim down your legs. I always used being big bone/solid as an excuse for my weight, when in reality I just needed to keep going and not give up on myself!
  • Momepro
    Momepro Posts: 1,509 Member
    Options
    Until they perfect cyborg tech I won't have the body I want either. Doesn't stop me from making myself healthier, stronger and better than I am right now. You don't need motivation to keep going despite never being perfect, no one will ever be perfect. You just need to make yourself better than today. Whatever measuring stick you use for that is up to you, thinner, healthier, stronger, more flexible, smarter, prettier, it doesn't matter. Just make some improvement over today.
  • katydougherty
    katydougherty Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I'll never have the body I want either, BUT I can have a much better body than I have now. I will also have the satisfaction of a goal reached that once seemed out of reach, but I now see is attainable. I will feel much better physically and mentally. I also hope to give others motivation when they see me so they can see that they too can do it if they set their minds to it. Don't give up. The hard work will pay off!
  • BeccaLoves2lift
    BeccaLoves2lift Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    Momepro wrote: »
    Until they perfect cyborg tech I won't have the body I want either. Doesn't stop me from making myself healthier, stronger and better than I am right now. You don't need motivation to keep going despite never being perfect, no one will ever be perfect. You just need to make yourself better than today. Whatever measuring stick you use for that is up to you, thinner, healthier, stronger, more flexible, smarter, prettier, it doesn't matter. Just make some improvement over today.

So this!
  • Luna3386
    Luna3386 Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    Yep.

I've been here for over 5 years. I am more comfortable now as the weight comes off but I've also learned to love myself more. So even though I won't have a"perfect" body, I think it will be ok.
  • mom23mangos
    mom23mangos Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    I don't think I can improve on what everyone else has said, but concentrate on what your body can do. Celebrate it's accomplishments. You'll grow to love it for all it allows you to do. Do you want to be a frail old lady or be rockin independence for as long as possible?

As for how you look, learn to dress to accentuate your assets. If you are a pear, enjoy your smaller waist and lean arms. Wear sleeeveless tops and flared skirts to hide the thighs. Wear heels to make your legs look longer. Just figuring out how to dress for your body type can go pretty far.
  • dutchandkiwi
    dutchandkiwi Posts: 1,389 Member
    Options
    Weel I never have the body I want either. I'd have grow about 10cm, but that ain't going to happen at 48.
    However like you I thought I'd never be able to wear shorts comfortably due to thunder thighs and large short calves etc etc . Guess what? I can wear shorts comfortably now. Sure neither of the two problem areas is as small as with those top models. But I am no top model airbrushed with photoshop, but a normal person and larger yet normal toned, trained thighs and calves.
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options
    i know the feeling. personally, i got sort of distracted along the weight-loss way by getting into strength training. i still don't have the body i wanted when i realised that i had to lose weight, and i can't pretend i've totally shifted my mindset on it.

but liking the body i ended up with for a range of other reasons sure makes it more comfortable. in my case that has been about strength. in yours it could be about something else.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    Here's my motivation: I don't need to be perfect. I just want to be the best version of me. I don't need to be like anybody else. That's not even possible. But since being an awesome version of ME is totally attainable, I set my mind to it and make it happen. So far this philosophy has served me well. I take good care of myself and I'm happy with my body. B)

Think about it. Even though you know realistically that you'll never be "perfect," wouldn't it be awesome to be the best version of yourself? Or even just the way better version? Don't throw in the towel just because you feel like you won't measure up to some arbitrary ideal. The best version of you will undoubtedly be far superior to the average mediocre slob who gave up or who isn't even trying. It's worth it.

You've got to have gratitude for all the good things you do have (and for the opportunities you have to improve) in order to be happy in life. If you choose not to identify and focus on the good things, you'll always be unhappy, always wanting the things you don't have and don't really even need.

You can do this! :)
  • skymningen
    skymningen Posts: 532 Member
    Options
    Maybe, if you "just" go for being the best you you can, suddenly you will look in the mirror, smile and realize that what you got is exactly the body and mind you want now. Because priorities change. Perceptions change.
    Maybe one person who is important to you will make you just the right compliment and your world will burst in confetti and smiles, and that's worth it, isn't it?
  • sharonpryke
    sharonpryke Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I have been struggling with this too. In my case its because of the after-effects on my body of having been so large for so long. That makes me sad sometimes, but it doesn't stop me wanting to be slimmer and healthier.

So many good comments above, there is very little to add. Really, the message is be happy with being you. Be motivated to be a better you. And stop reading the kind of magazines that tell you how you should be and what 'perfect' is!
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    you need to learn to love your body regardless of your weight.
  • lauracups
    lauracups Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    I'll never have the body I want either, no matter how hard I work, (deformatity from scoliosis and no bicep in one arm from reconstruction shoulder surgery ) It wasn't until I said to myself "so what " I'm still going to kick *kitten* in every way I was "told" wasn't possible that I found happiness in my progress.
  • mmintons
    mmintons Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    THANK-YOU all so much for your kind words and motivation. Was having a bit of a down moment but all your comments and advice really helped!
  • Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member
    Options
    You can't always get what you want
    But if you try sometimes
    You might find
    You get what you need