Getting healthy and gaining muscle

Options
alexiszook123
alexiszook123 Posts: 1 Member
I weigh 88 pounds am 5'2 and I want to gain muscle but I'm a classified anorexic I don't know what to do please help

Replies

• livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    Are you being treated for anorexia? Do you have health professionals (Dr, dietician etc) to guide you?

ETA - I know of a few people who have made great gains and changed their physique dramatically after having eating disorders. They definitely put weight on, so I guess in that respect they are healthier. I'm not sure how "recovered" they are mentally, as I think becoming so dedicated to diet and training in the pursuit of muscle gain can be just as disordered, and I couldn't say what their relationship with food is like.
  • northwoodsducky
    northwoodsducky Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I agree with other posters to consult a health professional, but given your understanding of your anorexic diagnosis, looks like you have consulted and should continue to do so. Anorexia can be deadly and I know people who have died or become severely ill from it. Those of us with weight loss issues can be fearful of the weight gain subject but I'll try to address it. I'm a normal weight now, but when I was young my weight was very low (but not diagnostically anorexic-- I skirted that). I think it's important to focus on realism when you're dealing with severe weight loss or weight gain. Those of us with weight issues tend to not think clearly about food. 3500 calories over your BMR puts on a pound, but you don't want to substitute anorexia with binge eating, as they go hand in hand. Just eat healthy at your appropriate caloric intake for your goal weight. So if you want to be 105 and active, then eat as someone who is 105 and active. Use the BMR calculators to figure that out. The goal is to be healthy and unless you have underlying health issues that deter you, then there shouldn't be a problem with natural healthy weight gain. As someone whose been underweight, I empathize with you. Stay with a realistic self view and you'll get there! And keep in touch with your doctor. Good luck!
  • northwoodsducky
    northwoodsducky Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Forgot to add... that to gain muscle you need protein and to weight lift, but in the case of such low weight you'll need added carbs to offset the energy expenditure in weightlifting. Anorexia causes significant muscle mass loss and not enough energy resource to build muscle. consult with a dietitian for a diet that builds muscle including healthy options like grass fed whey protein, clean meat or proteins and quality dense carbs like rice, yams, and good fats like avocado and nuts.
  • joeybrid
    joeybrid Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    What do you mean your classified anorexic? Like you have been diagnosed that? Or do you just mean that's what online charts say?
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    I weigh 88 pounds am 5'2 and I want to gain muscle but I'm a classified anorexic I don't know what to do please help

Speak to your treatmemt team.
  • sinead29
    sinead29 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Speak to a medical professional not an Internet forum.

This