Popcorn

Options
I have heard pros and cons on popcorn and I am really confused. I buy plain popcorn in the bag, no salt, oil or anything. I put 2 tablespoons of olive oil in the pan and pop up about 6 cups, I do not add salt or anything to it, that is my snack for the evening.

It is very satisfying and I have no cravings for ice cream or anything after I eat it. I wonder if I am getting too many calories this way? Others have said that the corn goes right through you, while others have said it is fattening.... I am totally confused...

Replies

• emilydmac
    emilydmac Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    I don't think it is bad for you- 1 cup of oil popped popcorn is 55 calories, and most of corn is just carbs from fiber anyway- I think if it is in your calories and macros for the day- ENJOY!
  • SUNNY613
    SUNNY613 Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    there are these 100 calorie bags of popcorn that you just put in the microwave...the whole baf is a 100 calories so its not bad
  • msmandyjo
    msmandyjo Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I've heard popcorn is a good source for whole grains... I make it the same you do, only add a smidge of butter. On days I'm hungry but don't have a whole lot of cals to mess around with, it's my snack of choice.
  • luminescence
    luminescence Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I think it's only bad for you when you add all sorts of bad stuff on it like butter, seasonings, etc. Eat away! :happy:
  • maillemaker
    maillemaker Posts: 1,253 Member
    Options
    Calories are calories, and you need to account for your popcorn as part of your daily overall caloric intake.

The Orville Reddenbacker 100 calorie minie bag is 100 calories, but mostly carbs (24g).

It's not bad to eat carbs, but I find that carbs spike my blood sugar level, which results in me feeling hungry when the BSL crashes.

I find popcorn to be a good sometimes snack. Just be aware it may spike hunger pangs.
  • ItsJustK
    ItsJustK Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    I love popcorn. I looooove popcorn. I LOVE POPCORN. I feel like it's actually a really good snack, considering most other options. I'd like to say I'm looking forward to the responses you get from this post, however - due to the fear that it might be a lot of people saying "DON'T EAT IT." I'm not going to read it. :) I love popcorn. I put hot sauce on mine. It is soooooooo good. Did I mention I love popcorn? Good for you , popping it on the stove top. That's hot!
  • TheKitsune6
    TheKitsune6 Posts: 5,798 Member
    Options
    Orvill Reddenbacher has a popcorn bag that's only 85 calories popped. 100 calorie bags are a ripoff in the form of clever marketing. Popcorn is AWESOME and I think as long as you're within your calories and other limitations you are PERFECT :)
  • CountryDevil
    CountryDevil Posts: 819 Member
    Options
    there are these 100 calorie bags of popcorn that you just put in the microwave...the whole baf is a 100 calories so its not bad

This is what I use as well and they are just enough for a snack.
  • CynthiaCollin
    CynthiaCollin Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    Personally I think that popcorn is a great alternative to chips.....I lost 49 lbs and have had plenty of popcorn during the last 8 months. (I buy the butter lover`s popcorn because I refuse to give up the flavor....but I always have 250 calories worth when I want it)..... So to be honest, I don`t think it is bad for you.....especially since you are so careful on how you prepare it. I think it is important not to give up everything that you enjoy .... I change my lifestyle but now I am just reasonable.
  • babylemonade
    babylemonade Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    i dont think theres anything wrong with it if you dont eat it like every day.
  • gettinghealthy777
    Options
    I love popcorn. I looooove popcorn. I LOVE POPCORN. I feel like it's actually a really good snack, considering most other options. I'd like to say I'm looking forward to the responses you get from this post, however - due to the fear that it might be a lot of people saying "DON'T EAT IT." I'm not going to read it. :) I love popcorn. I put hot sauce on mine. It is soooooooo good. Did I mention I love popcorn? Good for you , popping it on the stove top. That's hot!

I sometimes add Parmesan cheese to it. You should try that too, not too many calories, oh and by the way, most of the posts are positive on eating popcorn...lol
  • ennaejay
    ennaejay Posts: 575
    Options
    I'm with you. I pop about 1/3 c. plain kernels in the mic with 2 T. EVOO and I do add some real salt. I think it makes several quarts popped and is over 300 calories. But it's a whole grain, full of fiber, and "good fat". Better than eating 300 cals of pizza or whatever. :) And boy does it make you poop. :blushing:
  • CountryDevil
    CountryDevil Posts: 819 Member
    Options

You don't like popcorn very much do you.... :)

I have never tried hot sauce, but I am now. I have got the unsalted microwave kind and actually put garlic powder and pepper on it instead of salt. Not too bad and will satisfy that salt craving if you have one...
  • lkwalker71
    lkwalker71 Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    Popcorn is one of my favorites snacks it has also been lunch or dinner on days that I am not real hungry or am home alone. I try to eat the 100 calorie bags.
  • jenher
    jenher Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I use popcorn as a salty snack instead of chips. I use an air popper because it's cheaper than buying the microwave kind. Try a little spray butter and salt.
  • auntie_missy
    auntie_missy Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    Popcorn is a great snack, if you watch out for the dangers of adding a bunch of oil, butter and salt, and avoid getting it at the movie theater or in microwave bags that add a ton of chemicals. It is fat free, sugar free, a good source of whole grain, contains antioxidants, protein and iron. I have a microwave bowl that airpops it with no oil. 2 tablespoons pops up to four cups at 120-130 calories, which is way better than one of those 100 calorie snack packs.
  • birdlover97111
    birdlover97111 Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    I LOVE popcorn, but I gave it up when I realized how badly it caused my blood sugar to spike... :frown:
  • brown_eyed_girl_06
    Options
    I love popcorn so thanks for posting this!
  • Pecantan1
    Pecantan1 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I found this information on Popcorn at this site: http://www.popcorn.org/NutritionRecipes/NutritionYou/NutritionalInformation/tabid/96/Default.aspx

##Air-popped popcorn has only 31 calories per cup; oil-popped popcorn has only 55 calories per cup.
    ##When lightly buttered, popcorn contains about 133 calories per cup.
    ##Popcorn is a whole grain, making it a good-for-you food.
    ##Popcorn provides energy-producing complex carbohydrates
    ##Popcorn contains fiber, providing roughage the body needs in the daily diet.
    ##Popcorn is naturally low in fat and calories.
    ##Popcorn has no artificial additives or preservatives, and is sugar-free.
    ##Popcorn is ideal for between meal snacking since it satisfies and doesn't spoil the appetite.
    ##3 cups of popcorn equal one serving from the grain group.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    OLD THREAD 2011