Goal weight was wrong.

Options
I started at 176 lbs and set myself the goal of 140 lbs.
Today I weighed myself then looked in the mirror.
As of today I am 144 lbs and am thinking the last 4 lbs wont be enough.
I know thats what you get for setting yourself a value but still its a bit depressing being so close to what you thought would be the end to find out its not.

Replies

• timtam163
    timtam163 Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    Don't be so hard on yourself. Celebrate your victory thus far! You have come such a long way; remember that. And if you need to readjust your goals, so be it. Keep at it!
  • MrsPinterest34
    MrsPinterest34 Posts: 342 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    I'm not sure how tall you are, I'm 5'2" and started with similar weight as you at 175 and I'm also pear shaped. Very bottom heavy. I initially started with an initial goal weight of 145lb, I'm currently 152lb, but as I was losing I realize it's best to go with a target size as long as my final weight falls within the normal range BMI for my height, I can wear a normal non-stretchy size 8 pants and I like my body frame in the mirror then I'm satisfied.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    While I have an idea of my goal weight range, at the end of the day my goal is mostly body composition/physique based. I thought I would only have to lose about 3lbs to get to goal.. it is looking more like 8.. which is fine, I just adjust as I go.
  • cs2thecox
    cs2thecox Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    ...but as I was losing I realize it's best to go with a target size as long as my final weight falls within the normal range BMI for my height, I can wear a normal non-stretchy size 8 pants and I like my body frame in the mirror then I'm satisfied.

This.

I 100% believe that chasing a fairly arbitrary number isn't a great way of assessing when you're "done".
    As you get into the healthy range, body composition becomes a much bigger factor in the weight v size balance.

I obsessed with a fairly arbitrary number (although sports weight category related) for YEARS before realizing it was just messing with my head.
    I now have a size goal, and would like to see some abs. I weigh about 14kg MORE than my crazy number, but am wearing the same size clothes I was at my lightest, and approximately 600% happier.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    This is why goal weights are arbitrary, relatively pointless and shouldn't be tied to one's happiness
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    I know thats what you get for setting yourself a value but still its a bit depressing being so close to what you thought would be the end to find out its not.

How tall are you and what did you do during your loss to keep and develop muscle structure? It may not be more weight to lose but developing your body shape that could make the difference.
  • norahkathleen
    norahkathleen Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    cs2thecox wrote: »
    and approximately 600% happier.

This. :)

• jayemes
    jayemes Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    I started at 205 and picked the highest goal weight I thought I could be happy with (170). Once I get there I'm going to just focus on how I feel, and how I like the way clothes fit and adjust accordingly.
  • hollen_carol
    hollen_carol Posts: 121 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    My goal weight changed too as I progressed. I am 5'3" and started at 173. I wanted to get to 138 which was about 5 lbs lighter then BMI max. Once there I knew it had to go lower. So then it was 127. I was happy with that but then I tried to get a little lower. Got to 121.6 and I really looked super terrific for me (and I was like 53 at that time). That was with a lot of work, some kind of ab work daily, along with lifting weights and also cardio and still counting. It was really hard for me to stay there. It couldn't be that "lifestyle/forever" change. I was just getting stressed out and felt overwhelmed......although I looked the best I ever have. Now I am back up to 129, trying to get back to 127 and I believe that is where I will try to stay. Yes, constant changing of goals is very, very normal with this process. Just don't ever go back.....that's the trick :)
  • princeofmind
    princeofmind Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I wont give up.
    I suppose a couple of extra weeks wont hurt too much.
    I only really picked the number as my mum moaned so much the last time I was under 10 stone saying that I was far too thin. Really annoyed me.
    But then again I suppose with her being female and shorter than me shes not going to like me weighing less than she does XD
    For those asking about my height I am very tall for a man at a whole 5ft 6 lol
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    I wont give up.
    I suppose a couple of extra weeks wont hurt too much.
    I only really picked the number as my mum moaned so much the last time I was under 10 stone saying that I was far too thin. Really annoyed me.
    But then again I suppose with her being female and shorter than me shes not going to like me weighing less than she does XD
    For those asking about my height I am very tall for a man at a whole 5ft 6 lol

At your height and weight, you are a good BMI. Consider weight training instead of losing more
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    Options
    I've set mine for 10lbs into the healthy BMI range for a few reasons.

1) I know me. I've been working hard to develop a healthier relationship with food, etc. But I know that if I'm 0.2 lbs into the healthy BMI, I'll feel great and if I'm 0.2 lbs over it, I'll stress. And I can tell myself it's water weight or TOM or other fluctuations and intellectually, I'll get it. But emotionally... And knowing that stress is one of the reasons I eat, I'd like more of a buffer zone.

2) I'm playing head-games with myself. Everyone says that the last 5-10 lbs take forever. I'm hoping that in the event I get frustrated with the slower loss, I can tell myself, "Hey. You're already a healthy weight. Take a break. Stop stressing. Maybe it's okay to go on maintenance for a bit, now."

3) Tied into #1, but it'll give me a little room to play with while I try to settle into maintenance.

Be that as it may, when I'm within 5-10 lbs of a healthy BMI, I'm going to talk to my doctor, ask him to refer me to someone if necessary, and just try to figure out where in the range I should 'optimally' shoot for.
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Options

"Goal Weight" is something you don't really know until you get closer. Keep in mind you clearly know what it takes to lose weight. Just be careful to address any negative food-association habits if you've started to develope them.
  • everher
    everher Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »
    I think that the vast majority of people pick initial goal weights that are higher than they would need in order to be lean. No big deal, just keep going if you'd like.

I wholeheartedly agree with this. I also think it has a lot to do with prospective. I didn't really want to get that lean when I started out, but now I do. I notice people that I thought were 'tiny' don't look so tiny to me now.